Solar panels

Flexible panels can be stuck on the roof. I should mention that we are using the Victron MPPT controller, which supposedly does somewhat better at getting watts out of the panels than PWM controllers.

Thanks. How about the black runners in the gutters?
Also from ebay. They are OEM VW roof rails so fit into the existing bolt holes. I have seen quite a few being sold on the forum as well. If you do decide to get them try and get them with the rubber seals that clip into the bottom of the rails to keep the water out.

Also from ebay. They are OEM VW roof rails so fit into the existing bolt holes. I have seen quite a few being sold on the forum as well. If you do decide to get them try and get them with the rubber seals that clip into the bottom of the rails to keep the water out.
Thanks, I dont fancy drilling extra holes in the gutters though :O

@MarkW-T6 bit of a resurrection... I wondered how these have fared over time? And a couple of questions, I've recently added the prep rails, and not drilled any extra bolt holes, did you use only four bolts either side? At the moment mine seems solid, but there is nothing else up there creating drag etc anybody else input would be great too. I was also wondering why you used aluminium angle? As opposed to a flat piece of bar, rolled steel or similar? Cheers.

@MarkW-T6 bit of a resurrection... I wondered how these have fared over time? And a couple of questions, I've recently added the prep rails, and not drilled any extra bolt holes, did you use only four bolts either side? At the moment mine seems solid, but there is nothing else up there creating drag etc anybody else input would be great too. I was also wondering why you used aluminium angle? As opposed to a flat piece of bar, rolled steel or similar? Cheers.
I used sticaflix as well solid as a rock I put a little dab on the bolts they will never move

I used the original 4 got a aluminium bar that fitted into the strip in the roof . drilled to holes in each put boths up through them to attach the solar panel to

As yet still going fine, no issues. Just used the standard holes that were there, no extra drilling so yes, 4 each side. (I did drill at the back of the van to fit the plastic end piece but have since removed this to allow the roof bars to be fitted) I decided to use angle as it gives enough flexibility to curve over the roof and retains enough rigidity to eliminate flexing when driving at speed.

Perfect @MarkW-T6 thanks for the update and info. Valid point on the rigidity, don't want it flapping up and down at speed...

Inspired by the above and also nervous about drilling holes in the roof / reliability of flexible panel I have had a go myself at something similar.

I used aluminum channel and flashings that were surplus to requirements at work, so free. The panel is a renogy 100w (£128). The wiring was about £40 and the bolts were about the same, they're all stainless so cost a bit.

I have made the rails long enough to add another 100w panel maybe in the new year.

Just thought would show the pictures in case it helps someone in the future. Suspect i was the only person fitting solar to teh van when it was minus 6 outside

PXL_20221202_160607227.jpg

PXL_20221204_133421823.jpg

PXL_20221204_140906446.jpg

PXL_20221209_162436757.jpg

PXL_20221209_164602960.jpg

PXL_20221210_094641585.jpg

PXL_20221210_102139134.jpg

PXL_20221210_102144550.jpg

PXL_20221210_123023794.jpg

PXL_20221210_123026531.jpg

PXL_20221210_123033587.jpg

PXL_20221210_123046028.jpg

PXL_20221210_123057696.jpg

Reactions: CAB

I did what is contained in the link above. Working fine.

Back