Solar Panel Splitting / Charging Eco Flow River

dennismo

150 Kombi Edition - LV Sportline
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi guys. I currently have a Photonic Universe 160W Solar panel in my van, which is connected to a Victron MPPT Smart Solar (75/15) in order to charge my Leisure Battery.

I’m looking at buying an EcoFlow River Max (currently on offer here) and wondered about the best way to charge this from my Solar Setup? Am I best to:
a) Just use my 12V leisure system and connect the 12V to XT60 adapter cable to the EcoFlow River
OR
b) Somehow split my solar so that before it hits the MPPT, I split it and take a ‘Solar’ to XT60 directly to the EcoFlow and let it do the MPPT itself?

Obviously wanting to make the most of efficiency… but if option (a) isn’t going to be a terrible idea, this would 100% be the easiest way to do it…

Any thoughts appreciated… Guessing @Dellmassive will have some really helpful comments on this?
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
You shouldn't split the solar panels across solor controllers, especially with mppt controllers.

So in your case (and mine)

The best option is as you say...

Leave the roof panel via Victron to charge your van LB.

Then use the 12v LB to charge the Ecoflow via the 12v in socket ,/ xt60.

This is what I do and it works well.

It's current limited to 8A to stop you melting the 12v sockets.....

So I made up a fused Anderson to xt60 cable and use that to plug into my LB.

Thanks for the speedy response Dell! This all made perfect sense but I got lost at the ‘fused anderson to XT60 cable’. Are you saying that if I use the cable they supply, then it won’t work? Or it won’t work very well….?
In terms of making up the specific cable, can you let me know what I would need and where it would plug in if not into the 12V ’cigarette’ sockets in my van 12v setup?

Cheers!

You could use a changeover switch (on/off/on) and divert the solar positive input to either the Leisure battery charger or the Eco Flow.
Or (as I am doing) use two small battery cut off switches but only have one key so you can only connect one load at a time.

I made this cable .

" Anderson 50A plug to XT60 with 12awg silicone cable"

That plugs into another Anderson plug in the van.... That's connected to th LB via a 50A midi fuse .

Screenshot_20220707-143426_Chrome.jpg

Have a look over this thread..from the start.

Cool thanks Dell. I might see how I get on with the standard 12V cable first…and then look at this if I don’t get enough juice! Thanks

You can also use the 12v plug cable that come with me it.

That works.... But the connection gets warm after a while.

That's why I swapped over to the hard link.

Try it and see how you go.

Just a quick note… the EcoFlow River Pro is currently £599 in the prime day sale. It’s normally £749. I was going to purchase the river max (normally £599 on offer at £549 on the EcoFlow website) but went for the river pro instead. Insanely good deal!

Deal of the day for Prime Members: EF ECOFLOW Portable Power Station 720Wh RIVER Pro, 2 AC 600W (Peak 1200W) Outlets, Power Multiple Devices, Recharge 0-80% Within 1 Hour, Solar Generator for Camping, RV, Outdoors, Off-Grid https://amzn.eu/d/eBG3MwE

You shouldn't split the solar panels across solor controllers, especially with mppt controllers.

So in your case (and mine)

The best option is as you say...

Leave the roof panel via Victron to charge your van LB.

Then use the 12v LB to charge the Ecoflow via the 12v in socket ,/ xt60.

This is what I do and it works well.

It's current limited to 8A to stop you melting the 12v sockets.....

So I made up a fused Anderson to xt60 cable and use that to plug into my LB.
So you are Solar 'Charging' the Leisure Battery and allowing that charge to keep the EcoFlow charged by connecting that via the right cable directly to the feed from the LB?

Sounds like the plan for what I want to do!

Back