Electrical/ solar upgrades advice

mcollo

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on upgrading my pwm solar controller to mppt and split charge relay to dc-dc charger. Currently have a 60w solar panel (will be upgrading in the future) which feed into controller and tops up both leisure and engine battery. Stop start agm engine battery and lead acid leisure battery so believe the standard split charge relay is incorrect and requires dc-dc. Electric hook up which only charges the leisure battery and provides power to 240v sockets.

Any advice on what I need to make this system better? I've been looking into Victron units but there's so much choice?

Thanks.

Look at the victron Orion XS for a DC-DC.

And the victron smart solar 75/15* for the solar mppt

VW use a basic split charge relay with the AGM auxiliary battery when specced as a factory option, it's what I have currently, with the 75Ah AGM battery. T6 Euro 6 with stop start and smart alternator.

Do you have the factory fitted 2nd battery or something aftermarket?

There's a few options when it comes to DC-DC chargers and MPPT charge controllers. I'm sure @Dellmassive will be along soon, his 'how I done it' threads have a massive amount of info in them.

If you go Victron, you'll need a separate DC-DC, the new Orion XS 50a is probably the one to go for:

Then you'll need an MPPT controller, this would need to be specced to your solar size, based on the short circuit current in amps and the open circuit voltage. So I'd try and find a panel that you want and then you can size the MPPT accordingly.

For example the Victron 75/15 is a popular choice

You could run a 305w Victron rigid panel with this.

If you wanted to trickle charge the starter from solar, you'd need to add an ablemail device or similar. The other option is to go for an all in one device like the Renogy IP67 50a. This is a DC-DC, MPPT, and starter battery trickle charge all in one. You won't get the potential power of a separate set up with this - you can easily get 100a+ charging power with 2x separate Victron units - but you get a much smaller and compact system.

Any of the above will also be lithium (LiFePO4) compatible if you decide to upgrade the battery, which the split charge relay isn't.

Last edited:
Back