So what does everyone do for a living?

My company manufactures ,sustainable street furniture benches ect , and hand made memorial benches .

HSEA (Health, Safety and Environmental Advisor) Offshore for almost 30 years, mainly based at Aberdeen. This creates a bit of an issue with MY18 T6. Its left unmoved for up to 3 weeks at a time so need a jump start every time I'm home.
@David Whitley I guess you started in another field and haven’t been HSEA advisor for the whole 30 years. In 1990 when I started offshore in the oil industry safety was something you spoke about for 30 min’s at the weekly meeting without mentioning any real issues, if you ever wanted to work again. I’m glad things improved but I retired in 2016 because I couldn’t fart without reporting a ‘near miss’ and setting off a major accident investigation. The end result is the industry has stepped backwards a few decades, serious cover ups where possible and loads of coffee spill on stairs reports.

Hi DXX, you are correct. 14 years on hook-ups as a scaffolder. Poacher turned gamekeeper? Totally agree with the attitude and delivery of Safety in the earlier years. Now, glad to say, attitudes and expectation's are greatly improved. There are still some, and I do agree with some comments, that say Safety is massively OTT. It is a fine line between policing and encouraging! Every day is a challenge!!!!!

Hi DXX, you are correct. 14 years on hook-ups as a scaffolder. Poacher turned gamekeeper? Totally agree with the attitude and delivery of Safety in the earlier years. Now, glad to say, attitudes and expectation's are greatly improved. There are still some, and I do agree with some comments, that say Safety is massively OTT. It is a fine line between policing and encouraging! Every day is a challenge!!!!!
Scaffolder, definitely Poacher turned Gamekeeper!
When I worked in a shipyard the scaffolders got paid by piecework so pretty much the only ones who worked flat out. We used to spend out tea breaks watching them scaffolding ships in dry dock, 6 flights up, no harness, relying on the grip on their trainers. A bit like watching the TT or F1 races in the 70’s. Not a job I could do for sure.

Still Fork Hall... car park attendant there.

Seriously though, is there a sub section in this thread for posters who have always had crap jobs and have only retired early if the money doesn't actually run out before they hit age 66... I realise these are fairly exacting parameters but there must be others on here that have had a similar over active under achiever non career trajectory... just me then?:thumbsup:

Seriously though, is there a sub section in this thread for posters who have always had crap jobs and have only retired early if the money doesn't actually run out before they hit age 66... I realise these are fairly exacting parameters but there must be others on here that have had a similar over active under achiever non career trajectory... just me then?:thumbsup:
A career?!! WTAF is one of those?!! Never had one....but heard lots of HR BS that I did allegedly!!!

Commercial insurance broker these days.... Technical on paper and easy on the knees! Before that i was a mechanical engineer - 8 years for a FLT manufacturer and before that 14 years as a mechanic in the Army fixing tanks n trucks - which was much more fun but bad on the knees!

Reactions: JOG

Hey, I'm a symphony musician, but for more than 40 years I've had some really obtuse people ask me when I'm going to get a real job. Don't listen to negative people.

Back