So what does everyone do for a living?

My Father retired early because he'd had enough of what he claimed were the cons being treated like royalty and the offices being treated like mud. He's a tough old boy and I never saw him complain about anything, but I think physiologically it became very testing. I've actually got a few customers that are POs, and they don't speak very highly of the career. I think it's like most government jobs now, too much red tape and daft time wasting procedures, that only really benefit those on the wrong side of the rules. Bring back a world where common sense and experience prevailed.
Rant over...
Precisely! My mate saw the writing on the wall when the cons no longer had to refer to the PO's as "Mr" and "Sir"......saw it with my own eyes having been involved with more than one disturbance. Once watched and listened to a negotiator in action.....steam was coming out of my ears! She was being "observed" by one of those independent prison visitors/adjudicators (can't remember the name) in a high vis jacket. I was more annoyed with the negotiator.....or should I say, the system that dictated that the negotiator should be forced to negotiate in the way she did. It was hard to remain professional. My son was in the army at the time and they were being forced to pay for damage to their room/furnishings etc that were already damaged.....while these cretins were doing some alterations to a prison roof.....and throwing all the bits of roof in my direction to pick up!
My utmost respect to anyone who, day after day, has to go back into those zoo's.....and take all that grief......I was able to walk away!!!:(

Oh.....this thread is getting too much now! First R/C aircraft and now high end hifi! I love hifi.....not quite at that level though. My 20 year old system has been boxed up waiting for us to find a new home....can't wait to unpack it. Found the new home but it'll be a long time before my hifi's coming out! I had a nightmare getting the volume control pots on my Arcam replaced Lars.....I suspect it's now impossible or just not viable? :thumbsup:

Weeeelll... - If it's "Allowed" inhere, my Facebook page is filled with albums of severely heavy electronics - And more moderate equipment getting an overhaul..: www.facebook.com/s2v.dk ... :)

I can honestly say I don’t miss the old job at all...never even think about it....too busy enjoying the next stage

I was retained in Gwynedd and north Wales for 13 years too

I did 7 years retained in West Yorkshire while I was at Leeds Uni and ArupFire and loved it. Left when I moved back down South.

Did 8 years working in fire life safety and insurance work.

I am now www.fire-ltd.co.uk , I do life safety Fire Risk Assessements and also property loss prevention surveys for the insurance industry.

T6 is my new work vehicle as I realised the 5series GT was costing way in excess of the 25p/mile I’m allowed to pay myself when I exceeded 10k miles in 4 months. TBH it costs more than that in just tyres!

I did 7 years retained in West Yorkshire while I was at Leeds Uni and ArupFire and loved it. Left when I moved back down South.

I am now www.fire-ltd.co.uk , I do life safety Fire Risk Assessements and also property loss prevention surveys for the insurance industry.

T6 is my new work vehicle as I realised the 5series GT was costing way in excess of the 25p/mile I’m allowed to pay myself when I exceeded 10k miles in 4 months. TBH it costs more than that in just tyres!
They’ve just been awarded the highest safety rating by NCAP! What engine did you have?

I try not to think about what running a T6 Cali (actually our cheapest to run by miles!), M135i and thirsty old Subaru costs but I am pretty sure it’s a bit much. Just can’t let go of any of them. All do their own jobs so well!

They’ve just been awarded the highest safety rating by NCAP! What engine did you have?
Still got it as our second car, only a 520d, so i’m loving my much quicker 204ps Kombi. 5GT was about 50% more fuel efficient though, but now all my fuel and bills go through the business so that’s nearly half price on everything.

Still got it as our second car, only a 520d, so i’m loving my much quicker 204ps Kombi. 5GT was about 50% more fuel efficient though, but now all my fuel and bills go through the business so that’s nearly half price on everything.

I’ve given up on trying to run the cars through the business; a Cali is a total no no even though we use it as a mobile office at times.

Your 520d will still be faster than a 204; under 8s to 60 vs 9.9 for a 204 van (10.9 for ours because it’s heavier).

I had a brand new 520d recently as a courtesy car recently; an impressive and very well kitted out machine.

They shouldnt even make a 520d its a bit like owning a 316 lol

I think a 520d is closer to the 9 second mark to 60 which means there is a second in it which is probably why the van feels faster.

Your 520d will still be faster than a 204; under 8s to 60 vs 9.9 for a 204 van (10.9 for ours because it’s heavier).

I had a brand new 520d recently as a courtesy car recently; an impressive and very well kitted out machine.

You sure Polzey? Maybe in a standard 520d but the GT is a 7series chassis with a big bum. I believe it’s longer, wider, and possibly heavier than my T32 Kombi, and has 20 less horses. Maybe it’s the 8 speed auto box compared to the 7spd DSG?

Either way, the Kombi feels a lot more lively.

8.6s to 60 for the BM, 9.9 for the van so it’s pretty close.
In gear times could be even closer.
Our BM gets to 100mph in the same time our Cali gets to 60!

I think a 520d is closer to the 9 second mark to 60 which means there is a second in it which is probably why the van feels faster.
I went from a 2009 330d to a 2016 520d and loved it, yes it was a bit lacking in power but went ok, very smooth and enough to get you in trouble. The 520d has given way for my T6

I am the Fire Protection Manager for a Fire and rescue service, been practicing FP for quite some time, have just completed a Fire engineering technician (brand new Ofqual level 5 qualification certified by the IFE). You must be equally intrigued by the interim Dame Hackett report!!!

8.6s to 60 for the BM, 9.9 for the van so it’s pretty close.
In gear times could be even closer.
Our BM gets to 100mph in the same time our Cali gets to 60!
Yeah you’re spot on, I checked my brochure. Well the van still feels quicker, obviously all in my head, maybe cos I expect Vans to be slow and Beemers to be fast?

I went from a 2009 330d to a 2016 520d and loved it, yes it was a bit lacking in power but went ok, very smooth and enough to get you in trouble. The 520d has given way for my T6
Agreed 520d is a great car, it's used as my daily high miler driver and it's boring but absolutely brilliant in every way, best motorway car I have had and very comfortable. For racking up the miles it's in a class of its own for many reasons.

Many have this fascination with wanting a van to go fast which I still don't understand but each to their own, sports cars go fast and vans do cool stuff.

New to this forum (sign-up 3 weeks ago or so).

I have recently gone self-employed as cabinetmaker, bespoke kitchen/bedroom fitter after spending 10 years of my working life inside the workshops. Worked unto the end of December 2017 as employed fitter/maker but decided I can do this on my own.

If anybody in Hertfordshire/ Buckinghamshire need stuff making/fitting, you know where to find me.

Thanks all and especially to the dedicated for a wonderfully informative forum
I am a bit of a AV tech all rounder, live concerts, tours, festivals and major sporting events
then onto installation and maintenance of Audio Visual Systems.
January sees me booked out 7days week working for Tennis Australia on the Australian Open
this is year 5 for me on the event so I must be doing something right

Last edited:
I am a bit of a AV tech all rounder, live concerts, tours, festivals and major sporting events
January sees me booked out 7days week working for Tennis Australia on the Australian Open

Well done , good on you fella! have fun!

Sounds like a great career, Welcome to the Forum.

Back