So what does everyone do for a living?

Own and run a IT support company- installing networks, servers, PCs and so on. look after sites from 2 to 70 users, across the south of england. Been in business since 1998, so must be doing something right. Look after large theatre in south of england, construction companies and so on.

New to this forum (sign-up 3 weeks ago or so).

I have recently gone self-employed as cabinetmaker, bespoke kitchen/bedroom fitter after spending 10 years of my working life inside the workshops. Worked unto the end of December 2017 as employed fitter/maker but decided I can do this on my own.

If anybody in Hertfordshire/ Buckinghamshire need stuff making/fitting, you know where to find me.

If this is your first time going alone, it will be tough, but yet very rewarding, and as many others who run businesses will confirm, it can be the best life choice you make, and one you wish you'd of done sooner.
Shame you're not closer to me, i'd of found a few jobs that I needed doing.
If you ever get slack, I know through experience that when I had my van rear, custom built for my work kit, creating a very clever set-up, I really struggled to find anyone that would take this on. Any ply guys would only fit CNC cut panelling, which I didn't want.
The only guy I could get to take on the job was a highly skilled chap who built bespoke staircases, or sash windows, and even huge arched doors in million pound plus houses. So inevitably he was very good at what he did for me, but eye-wateringly expensive.

If this is your first time going alone, it will be tough, but yet very rewarding, and as many others who run businesses will confirm, it can be the best life choice you make, and one you wish you'd of done sooner.
Shame you're not closer to me, i'd of found a few jobs that I needed doing.
If you ever get slack, I know through experience that when I had my van rear, custom built for my work kit, creating a very clever set-up, I really struggled to find anyone that would take this on. Any ply guys would only fit CNC cut panelling, which I didn't want.
The only guy I could get to take on the job was a highly skilled chap who built bespoke staircases, or sash windows, and even huge arched doors in million pound plus houses. So inevitably he was very good at what he did for me, but eye-wateringly expensive.

I guess I am lucky to have enough work from the word go, all the way into the middle of April .
Where abouts are yoo based?

EV

Agreed 520d is a great car, it's used as my daily high miler driver and it's boring but absolutely brilliant in every way, best motorway car I have had and very comfortable. For racking up the miles it's in a class of its own for many reasons.

Many have this fascination with wanting a van to go fast which I still don't understand but each to their own, sports cars go fast and vans do cool stuff.

I have to agree with every word of this, I have a 2011 330d as a daily car and it is absolutely superb in every way, its got 75k and is as smooth as new and quick for a dirty diesel.
then for the weekends there is the caravelle, although it is quick, its better to plod about and look cool as ... :)

730F312A-688A-4182-86D0-763E31FE55D5.jpeg 30110419-C07B-4CCD-9208-3F52F2167224.jpeg 450FB05F-AC3D-4914-9FC4-A5374600C838.jpeg On the move this week - had to head a long way north for work,it will have been just shy of a 4000Km journey to deliver and then facilitate Broadcast for the Commonwealth Games site in Townsville Australia
Had to leave my van at home and drive the OB

About time I added to this thread. Hats off to all you self made business people :thumbsup:

So, 32 years with the Met Police, (15 years traffic, then promotions and Public Order)
Graduated with a Masters in 2006 and stepped sideways into a Council role. Director of a National Institute, and ex director of a successful CCTV company. Spent 10 years running services for various boroughs/councils, but the pyramid was so flattened that I’d had enough, my shoulders weren’t that broad as the staff reduced and the responsibilities piled high.
Instead of being fully retired, I work 2 days a week running Emergency Planning for another council, it’s cool.
At last I’m able to actually do something rather than failing to cover every post.

As I said, maximum respect for the company guys n girls, I’m pretty confident in my own abilities, but would I have made it on my own in my own business?....I’ll never know.
:thumbsup:
(I wonder if I can delete this in the future :laugh: )

I've got a little change to mine this week!

We still run the home automation website and will still take the odd commission but I'm stepping back a little when it comes to the cctv and smart thermostat installs.

I was just finding I didn't have any time for myself or for the kids.

In the offshore side of things I resigned as the "senior drilling instruments & electrical commissioning technician" for BP, instead took a role with a drilling company as "electronic technician".

What that means in real terms is I've gone from running a team of 14 guys, doing 2 weeks away and 2 at home (but losing 3 out of every 4 weekends through travel) where we were preparing a new oil rig, to being part of a team of 2 electronic techs maintaining a 10 year old rig.
My new rotation is 3 weeks away, 3 home but as i'm changing mid week I'll be home 3 weekends out of 6, I'll be there for more of the kids gymnastics sessions and more able to have camping holidays etc.

Short term I believe I'll be reducing our income (pre tax) by up to 40% but I couldn't be happier.

Better work life balance, better job satisfaction and better stability.

Lastly on the home automation side I've had an enquiry to do a fully automated home for a family with a dementia sufferer.
I feel it's a job both myself and my wife want to take on regardless of margin due to the nature of the task.
Both from a learning perspective and personal achievement.
I've been discussing with Age Scotland (age concern) as to their research in the field.

Sorry for the long winded ramble lol

Started my working life spending 25 years in Her Majesty's finest Royal Engineers, then left and done a few jobs working as a manager, then Regional Manager, Technical Services Manager, Ops Director, Technical Services Director looking after hospitals, prisons, schools and Law Courts and now look after 2 hospitals as a General Manager for a Project Company.

I've got a little change to mine this week!

We still run the home automation website and will still take the odd commission but I'm stepping back a little when it comes to the cctv and smart thermostat installs.

I was just finding I didn't have any time for myself or for the kids.

In the offshore side of things I resigned as the "senior drilling instruments & electrical commissioning technician" for BP, instead took a role with a drilling company as "electronic technician".

What that means in real terms is I've gone from running a team of 14 guys, doing 2 weeks away and 2 at home (but losing 3 out of every 4 weekends through travel) where we were preparing a new oil rig, to being part of a team of 2 electronic techs maintaining a 10 year old rig.
My new rotation is 3 weeks away, 3 home but as i'm changing mid week I'll be home 3 weekends out of 6, I'll be there for more of the kids gymnastics sessions and more able to have camping holidays etc.

Short term I believe I'll be reducing our income (pre tax) by up to 40% but I couldn't be happier.

Better work life balance, better job satisfaction and better stability.

Lastly on the home automation side I've had an enquiry to do a fully automated home for a family with a dementia sufferer.
I feel it's a job both myself and my wife want to take on regardless of margin due to the nature of the task.
Both from a learning perspective and personal achievement.
I've been discussing with Age Scotland (age concern) as to their research in the field.

Sorry for the long winded ramble lol
Good for you @Chrisfraser05. Money is not everything; work life balance is far more important. There is equally a lot to be said for doing something that makes you happy.

Started my working life spending 25 years in Her Majesty's finest Royal Engineers, then left and done a few jobs working as a manager, then Regional Manager, Technical Services Manager, Ops Director, Technical Services Director looking after hospitals, prisons, schools and Law Courts and now look after 2 hospitals as a General Manager for a Project Company.
A fellow sapper! Im 12 years in and loving it. What trade were you @JimVee ? I'm a Geo tech. Ubique!

A fellow sapper! Im 12 years in and loving it. What trade were you @JimVee ? I'm a Geo tech. Ubique!

Started as a Plant Fitter mate and ended up doing my last 2 years as WO1 RQMS at 25 in Antrim. 25 years and probably count all the bad times on 1 hand. What a life lol :) You going CoW?

Started as a Plant Fitter mate and ended up doing my last 2 years as WO1 RQMS at 25 in Antrim. 25 years and probably count all the bad times on 1 hand. What a life lol :) You going CoW?
Nice one and good effort mate! CoW not available in my trade stream, bit too niche I think. Still, living in Naples now and representing RE so can't complain!

Back