So what does everyone do for a living?

He will be 26 in December, he also had 8 hours of back surgery 2 years ago and breezed that as well.
He was right in the middle of the Bristol Heart Surgery "scandal" at the time but his surgeon did an amazing job.

Wow...that was before my induction into the heart community...but I know others that were mixed up in it.

I nearly went into shock when the cardiologist who we went to see as "a precaution" examined him with a Doppler echo, turned around and in one breath said, " As you know I have been asked to look at Chris for his heart murmur (what heart murmur) never mind that, he is seriously ill and requires open heart surgery today or tomorrow, have you got transport to get him to Bristol now or shall I organise an ambulance?

Well you could have know me down with a feather...

We'd taken Phoebe into hospital with a sickness bug and severe dehydration...the most junior doctor asked me about her heart murmur...errr...what murmur? Chest x-ray later we were almost blue lighted to Alder Hey until one of the paeds intervened. I thought she was going to die that night! Anyway...all's good now...she was one of the lucky ones that could be fixed.

Prison Officer....for 31 years....climbed the promotion ladder although now looking for another job

TBF it sounds like all British caravan manufacturers need to pull their socks up; same with motorhome converters.
We think we have problems - check out the issues people have with £40k caravans or £80k motorhomes!!
Spot on with these comments, we bought a new pretty much top of the range Autotrail 7.5m long 5 years ago. And boy oh boy have we had problems ,which are still going on. The fiat Ducato DPF has been a real pita as well; soon after the engine management light comes on, it goes into limp home mode (15mph max on the A1 inclined section)
My choice next time I think would be a converted New Crafter Sports home, but the Mrs would probably over rule me (again);)

I've had 5 Motorhomes,1 12mtr Niesmann-Bischoff, 3 Various Carthago Motorhome from 10mtrs down to 8mtrss & 1 7mtr Hymer, all bought at the Dusseldorf Motorhome Show over the last 20 years and as they were all German constructed we have never had problems except the last one a Hymer of which the quality has dropped off but still no problems but you could see that the quality wasn't as good as all of the previous ones.

I would only buy German really,now had enough of large M/homes and will now have a VW to enable us to get to places we couldn't with previous vehicles and looking forward to it.
Shame to say it but I would never buy a M/Home or Caravan constructed in the UK because of the inherent problems they seem to have.

Just my thoughts & there must be some good UK vehicles as well

I've had 5 Motorhomes,1 12mtr Niesmann-Bischoff, 3 Various Carthago Motorhome from 10mtrs down to 8mtrss & 1 7mtr Hymer, all bought at the Dusseldorf Motorhome Show over the last 20 years and as they were all German constructed we have never had problems except the last one a Hymer of which the quality has dropped off but still no problems but you could see that the quality wasn't as good as all of the previous ones.

I would only buy German really,now had enough of large M/homes and will now have a VW to enable us to get to places we couldn't with previous vehicles and looking forward to it.
Shame to say it but I would never buy a M/Home or Caravan constructed in the UK because of the inherent problems they seem to have.

Just my thoughts & there must be some good UK vehicles as well

Having had a good look around before we bought this Cali (our last one was a bit of a PITA so we looked at other options to replace it) and I saw SO many complaints about more recent UK motorhomes and caravans. It seems they simply WILL leak and neighbours have an expensive Autosleeper based on a Peugeot van - no end of problems and a rubbish warranty too.

Apart from the California, a couple of German outfits do really nice looking Merc Sprinter 4x4 conversions that look great but they are £80k+!

I'm under no illusions that German quality is infallible - with our last VW being a big headache and all sorts of issues with Mercs and so on - but on the whole they seem pretty good.

But if something is well made AND British I do get a nice glow - Berghaus, my new Mybo Origin bow (a stunning piece of kit made properly using top notch machining and hand finishing) and a few other brands always get my vote. We're good at high end clothing too (as well as Berghaus) - things like wool jumpers, coats, high end tailored clothes.

But we can't make campers, caravans or cars unless the Japanese are there to hold our hands.

Having had a good look around before we bought this Cali (our last one was a bit of a PITA so we looked at other options to replace it) and I saw SO many complaints about more recent UK motorhomes and caravans. It seems they simply WILL leak and neighbours have an expensive Autosleeper based on a Peugeot van - no end of problems and a rubbish warranty too.

Apart from the California, a couple of German outfits do really nice looking Merc Sprinter 4x4 conversions that look great but they are £80k+!

I'm under no illusions that German quality is infallible - with our last VW being a big headache and all sorts of issues with Mercs and so on - but on the whole they seem pretty good.

But if something is well made AND British I do get a nice glow - Berghaus, my new Mybo Origin bow (a stunning piece of kit made properly using top notch machining and hand finishing) and a few other brands always get my vote. We're good at high end clothing too (as well as Berghaus) - things like wool jumpers, coats, high end tailored clothes.

But we can't make campers, caravans or cars unless the Japanese are there to hold our hands.

Quite agree with all you have said, I also think we make some fantastic kit, for instance Land Rover to mention a few items.

I've been looking at motorhomes again, always seems to happen when we're on holiday. I like the german stuff, especially Burstner, Dethleffs, Carthago etc. But I'm now thinking I'd like something Merc based rather than Fiat which seems to restrict the choice somewhat as most are bloody Fiat's.
Won't be buying for 5 years as it's part of my early retirement plan, I'm a flooring contractor whos's worked too hard for too long, not left myself anywhere near enough time for holidays & general gadding about until now and had enough!
I'm gradually weeding out the slow payers and customers I don't like (there are quite a lot of the latter!) so hopefully the early retirement thing will coincide with running out of customers!

Work as a nurse. Mainly with the elderly with a bit of end-of-life care involved too.

Had a bit of an eye-opener with a person who had worked their whole lives then became unwell before they had even reached retirement. Hence, considering the upgrade to a T6 although it is well out of our budget.
Have decided that I don't want to spend my life waiting for a retirement that I might not even get.

Sorry, bringing the mood down. I do love my job however, older people are brilliant fun!! Just watch the TV programme with the four year olds and the old people. Fantastic viewing. Those are the sort of people I love looking after.
:D

:thumbsup:Physiotherapist with Administrator as better half!

Getting on a bit so cashed in some pension chips when reached 55 to buy first VW campervan.
My son told me to stop "dithering" and just "do it"! (Probably because they wanted to borrow it" !
Best decision ever so bring on retirement!

Back