SMEV RECALL

Hey saw some on eBay obviously not the affected sku numbers but 1,250.00 seems quite expensive!!!!!!! To me .

• Haha
Reactions: Jlo
If you want to get out and use the van and the Smev is holding you up why not just use a portable hob although be careful not to overheat any overhead shelf.

Reactions: CAB
Yes always another way to go I'm going to carry on making my furniture to take the smev 9722 we can do without for a while can always buy bacon sandwich!!

Reactions: CAB
Oh there's some on eBay now for 1,419.00 pounds does come with pipe work kit though! Robbing Bastards.

Oh there's some on eBay now for 1,419.00 pounds does come with pipe work kit though! Robbing Bastards.
Nobody’s forced to buy it. If you have a look around Ebay there are a few items with crazy prices, obviously every now and then an equally crazy person buys them.

Got a reply from my seller:
Essentially turn it off and await instructions.
I have also emailed dometic directly to see what they say. Slightly annoying as I have some trips planned
We also have an affected gas hob. Purchased and installed Feb 2021. Now we have a campervan with no usable cooking facility. I shall certainly be looking for not just a quick resolution,, but also compensation for buggeration.

Just wondering if anyone has had any update on the situation? Coming up to 8weeks now since initially registering that I have one of the affected units and have had no further updates since! Had phoned 3 weeks ago to chase it up and was told to register a complaint and that they were still trying to set up a service centre and testing procedure for the faulty units

Oh thats very handy thanks! I'm from Stirling so not far to travel for me. Will give them a call and see what they say

Glad I could help I’m edinburgh based so need to call them and find an excuse to head up that way one weekend or day off
Just phoned and managed to get it booked in for Thursday. Should take about an hour. They don't do weekends I'm afraid. There's also a guy in Falkirk that will come to you to get it done so maybe worth giving him a bell, I tried him but he was still waiting for dometic to send out the tools he requires

If getting a hob looked within a reasonable time is causing a problem, perhaps Dometic might allow you to appoint your own gas engineer to perform the check and refund your out-of-pocket expense for it (I assume it's just a gas check and nothing that requires a Dometic specific test EDIT - just seen the previous post about 'tools' so perhaps not).

If this is the case, a search here should help identify an engineer that is qualified to perform the check on LPG appliances : Find or check a Gas Safe registered business - Find or check a Gas Safe registered engineer in your area who can fit, fix and service your gas appliances. - Select 'Domestic, add your postcode and 'choose appliance', 'select 'LPG/Cylinder' and then 'select appliance type' as caravans (or boats). You should get a list of engineers where it is possible to check the services they provide.

Obviously, if there is an issue with the hob, you will still be left waiting for a repair/replacement, but there could be a way around a needless wait if your hob is fine.

Just phoned and managed to get it booked in for Thursday. Should take about an hour. They don't do weekends I'm afraid. There's also a guy in Falkirk that will come to you to get it done so maybe worth giving him a bell, I tried him but he was still waiting for dometic to send out the tools he requires
That’s great thanks. Have you got the details of the mobile guy. Might also be able to head up on a day off when I next have one

So glad to hear that the problem is being addressed ! Can someone verify that they have had theirs looked at and it's been sorted?

I bought a unit and found it to be on the recall list. Contacted dometic who arranged for it to be collected and they would send a new unit within 3 weeks…weve had two of those and no update as yet

Just been to get mine tested... failed. Could have just done it at home to find this out, 1st part of the test is to remove the knobs and if the valve head underneath is brass its a fail. They send out a new unit to wherever it was tested. Who knows how long this wait will be. Will definitely be claiming the mileage now

I received guidance from Cambridge campervans. If the control stalks are brass then failed straight away. If aluminium then proceed to stage 2 with gas test. If passes the unit is deemed safe. Mine are aluminium and have been tested ok so I will be using my hob as normal.

Back