SMEV RECALL

Here's the response I received from Dometic this morning about my unit, which was new in June, has the affected SKU number and has a brass shaft:

"Not all the recalled units fail testing because they have brass valve shafts and your unit will require the second pressure test to be completed."

No engineer in my area, and it looks like they won't send a replacement unit coz it still needs testing. Oh well...

Piss poor service it's not your fault ring them and have a right go at them they need to make unit certified safe

You're right, it's not good service at all. I really can't understand how the recall can be classed as "voluntary" when the company has acknowledged that there is a risk of injury if the unit is used? "We are working to resolve this situation as quickly as possible" is not really helping me much..

Just been contacted by the company that tested mine saying I have to come back for the second part of the test. Presumably incase it passes the pressure test. They really need to be more clear on their testing instructions as the engineer I used was sure that as it had the brass stems that the unit was a fail already hence why he never carried out the actual pressure test. So now I need to do another 70mile round trip to have this done. Has anyone managed to receive a refund for the mileage travelled for testing?

You're right, it's not good service at all. I really can't understand how the recall can be classed as "voluntary" when the company has acknowledged that there is a risk of injury if the unit is used? "We are working to resolve this situation as quickly as possible" is not really helping me much..
I presume 'voluntary' as in did it before they were forced to?

Sounds about right! I dunno, make a load of potentially dangerous pieces of kit in China (for whatever reason, cough), sell them on and then when they go wrong, make your customers wait around for months before you fix it. Customer service? sad

After not being able to use the appliance on my two week holiday I just got a response from Dometic:-
As you unit was purchase and fitted before October 2020 it is not affected by the product recall.

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
Website has updated with this clarification on dates which is helpful.

HOW TO QUICKLY CHECK IF YOUR COOKER IS AFFECTED

1. Is the installed cooker the original cooker you bought together with your vehicle?
If yes, please check the first registration or production date of your vehicle.
If this date is before October 2020, the cooker is not affected, and nothing needs to be done.
If the date is October 2020 or thereafter, you need to check the data label of the cooker.
If it is not the original installed cooker, you also need to check the data label of the cooker.

2. Did you buy the cooker from a retailer before October 2020?
If yes, the cooker is not affected, and nothing needs to be done.
If you bought the cooker from a retailer in October 2020 or thereafter, you need to
check the data label of the cooker.
If you don’t have the exact date of purchase, you also need to check the data label of the cooker.

3. The data label should be provided together with the cooker manual.
If not available, the data label can be found on the bottom of the cooker.
If you have no access to the bottom of the cooker, your dealer/installer can help you with this check.

After 8 weeks of waiting for Dometic to arrange a test, and having to drive 28 miles each way to attend, my Dometic/Cramer 2335 CE-99 failed its test this week.
I contacted Dometic to see when they would replace it only to be told it will be next year (yes - 2022) before they have replacement stock - WTF!!

Meantime, Jackson Leisure have this week received a stock of 50 of the same units from Dometic.

Looks like they are prioritising new sales over fixing the issue for their existing customers.

Now trying to get a refund and will be happy to pay the new/increased price at Jacksons for the replacement as it would arrive in 48 hours.

• Wow
Reactions: Jlo
After 8 weeks of waiting for Dometic to arrange a test, and having to drive 28 miles each way to attend, my Dometic/Cramer 2335 CE-99 failed its test this week.
I contacted Dometic to see when they would replace it only to be told it will be next year (yes - 2022) before they have replacement stock - WTF!!

Meantime, Jackson Leisure have this week received a stock of 50 of the same units from Dometic.

Looks like they are prioritising new sales over fixing the issue for their existing customers.

Now trying to get a refund and will be happy to pay the new/increased price at Jacksons for the replacement as it would arrive in 48 hours.
Go to Trading Standards.

Surely that must be illegal if not it should be .someone needs to cause a fuss.on telly or something.

In still struggling to get mine checked. The only engineer they have provided me details for is 2 hour round trip Mon-Friday only so no good for me with work

I was annoyed when Dometic told me that after taking 10 weeks to sort out a test and then confirming it had failed, it would then be NEXT YEAR before they could provide a replacement. I talked with Citizens Advice and they told me that although Jacksons Leisure had told me that Dometic were managing the situation, my contract s with Jacksons Leisure and it is them that I should claim refund or replacement from as product sold to me was not fit for the purpose it was sold for.

Called Jacksons Leisure and talked with Wanda. Jacksons have been great, they have liaised with Dometic and got me a replacement hob out within a week.
Good old fashioned customer service and going out of their way to keep their customers happy.

So - in summary - don't wait for Dometic as they are useless - go back to whoever you paid for the unit.

I still have 1 issue though. The old HBG2335 hob had a sort of base plate or deflector below it which separated all the gubbins from whatever you have in your cupboards below. The new hob does not have this plate, and neither Jacksons not Dometic appear to be able to tell me if this is correct, or if it is a mistake from the factory.
New hob is now installed, but until I have confirmation if a plate is required - I still wont be using it.

Ian

@nahcartsnai. Result! Well done for persisting and maybe even showing the way ahead for all those who are suffering from the same sort of issue (luckily, I'm not one of them).

Just picked up on this......my new Vangear kitchen pod is arriving tomorrow the 17th. They say they have put a 9722 in.
I'm hoping it's not an affected one.
Bit nervous now.

Back