Sliding side door not latching shut - I have a workaround

AndyG

Hi All, we have had our T6 for about a year and on several occasions the sliding side door won't latch shut, it just bounces back open. We have had the AA out and it's been to a VW main dealer and as yet nobody has found the root cause.
Last time it happened I took the door panel off and was poking around inside, but then I used the interior door handle and heard something click after which it has worked fine. So I think something is sticking in the mechanism related to the interior handle but I know now if it happens again if I open the interior handle it will free up whatever is sticking, so a good work around.

Hi,
Probably a bit late but have the same problem. It seems to be the latch cable sticking and each time one of the following sorts it's out (a sticking plaster I know but it works)
1. Lock and unlock all doors with remote
2. Move interior door handle back and forth a few times
3. Lock and unlock from inside sliding door a few times
4. Lock and unlock with the key from the outside (sliding door)
5. Whatever you do slamming it doesn't work!!!!
6. Spray some silicon grease into the latch at the rear of the door when you get home

Like I said a bit of a bodge but normally only happens once a year for me

When mine did that, VW assist came out and stripped the door. He said it was the insulation that had been added to the insides that was causing an issue around the mechanism. He fired it and it never happened again.

Same here, happened to me after about a week of having the van. I had to call out VW assist to fix mine. Mine isn't insulated on the sliding door though but he said it was an issue with the cable and mechanism. Interestingly I had a problem with the door dropping when I opened it as well and I had to give it a good slam to close it. Turns out the nut needed tightening up on the hinge which caused the drop. Not sure if the 2 are related but it happened around the same time?

He said it was the insulation that had been added to the insides that was causing an issue around the mechanism.

Just wanted to add that I’ve had this happen before and after fitting insulation.

Like others, I’ve also had luck getting it to shut by continuously fiddling with seemly everything until it eventually latches. (Can also confirm what @Midgetmole says – slamming definitely doesn’t work!)

Back