Skyline or Reimo pop-top?

f6100153

T6 Pro
We have the van, LWB T6 and I'm in the process of choosing the conversion company. Which I'm finding very difficult, lots of companies all with different opinions.

I've got quotes from 2 locals companies, one whom said Skyline Aurora is the best, one that said Reimo Easyfit with a Deluxe mattress upgrade is the best. Both commented on the each others brands not being very good .

Price is quite different between the 2, £7k for Reimo, £4k for the Skyline.

Only thing pushing me towards the Reimo is the comfier mattress, but £3k extra is a lot (we didn't pay that much for the mattress we use every night at home).

Is there any other advantage to going for the Reimo? Are the Skylines comfy enough for a weeks sleeping on it?

I have a Reimo Easifit with a standard ‘mattress’, I rarely sleep on it, it‘s not comfortable but adequate when used after beer.
One of the best features of the Reimo is the insulation on the lid, it helps to maintain a comfortable temperature in strong sun whether the roof is up or down.
Not a 3K feature though! I looked at the springy Reimo roof but as we were planning on using the Cali bed down below I decided against it.
In 2018 I went about a few converters and was informed Reimo or SCA if you want a decent roof, SCA were not delivering so Reimo it was.

If the reason you rarely sleep on it becasue it's not comfortable or another reason?
I have a double seater California bed down below which is very comfortable and takes seconds to rig.
We also camp all year so in winter the pop top isn’t great.
Mostly we are camping off site and probably not where it’s formally allowed so a low key presence is maintained with the roof down.

I paid £3100 for Reimo Easylift plus £500 for colour coding, in 2016. Looked at all other makes at the time and build quality and finish was miles better over other offerings. Ultimately, it will come down to who fits the roof.

Thanks both, I think I've decided to go to the Reimo. Reading on this forum there is never a negative thing said about Reimo but people do seem to have had problems with Skyline.

It's a new van and we're planning on keeping it and sleeping in it for years to come so I think it will be worth the extra investment.

Also just order a Van King bed for the bottom so it can sleep all 4 of us and still keep the Kombi seats :)

@f6100153 here’s what I paid in Feb 2018, though I doubt the converter will negotiate with the current demand.
1627378900464.png

Thanks, that similar to what I've been quoted. Ours is slightly higher due to being a LWB and the deluxe mattress.

Thanks, that similar to what I've been quoted. Ours is slightly higher due to being a LWB and the deluxe mattress.
Makes sense with the extra length. I just realised that the prices above are without the VAT!

@DXX How long does it take you to setup and takedown the Reimo?

@Phil_G I haven't considered Austops, does the Austops come with a built in mattress like the Reimo?

As a LWB skyline aurora owner, i would definitely recommend. Its a good quality roof and the easy half turn catches are game changing. Its VERY well insulated. Even being black it seems to resist getting super warm inside. The bi-fold bed helps with headroom towards the rear and the sliding cover keeps everything neat when closed. The canvass is marine, which fewls a lot like vinyl which as youd expect blocks light very well and is super waterproof. My dads old T5 had a reimo roof and it was good, but i far prefer the Aurora.

@Phil_G I haven't considered Austops, does the Austops come with a built in mattress like the Reimo?
I comes with a mattress, yes, but its not 'built-in', that would be impossible to clean :thumbsup:
The canvas is really substantial, much better than the SCA (we have both)

Thanks @Geordman do you find the Skyline mattress comfortable?
I didnt buy the skyline one as i wasnt confident it would be comforable for the money. I recommend a vango california self inflating mattress. Anything foam thats less than 50mm (alloable space in the poptop when down) will just squish. The self inflating ones can be set to a firmness to be comfortable.

Hi, they are both good roofs. I find the beds in the REIMO are better than skyline due to construction, that said we can’t get REIMO beds currently due to shortage so making our own, similar to SKYLINE.

The REIMO has a full fibreglass ‘platform’ which you see on the inside of the van and does not need lined. Plus it has a full spoiler at the front. For these reasons the REIMO is more refined but also more expensive, we fit both and customers are always happy. Some customers want a German roof but many also want the Skyline. Just make sure whichever one you choose is fitted correctly, I’ve seen bad installs where the roof creaks etc.

I never sleep well in a van, but the deluxe REIMO bed will be more comfy than Skyline, however at a ‘deluxe’ price.

All the best.
Ian

I've just found Austops also do the deluxe mattress using the Froli system so trying to get a price for one.

Back