Skyline Aurora Pop-Top opening on motorway?

Been watching this thread for a while as i had an Aurora fitted around 3 years ago. I am quite anal about closing it, watching the roof compress and feeling the tension of the lever through the key as it turns to the stop.The only thing i feel is a bit of a faff is the length of the key, its a tad short i feel as it easily slips off the lever as its turned and then you have to relocate but not a major issue as such.
I have an endoscope too so will try and see whats going on under the pop top this weekend and post some pics.

Been watching this thread for a while as i had an Aurora fitted around 3 years ago. I am quite anal about closing it, watching the roof compress and feeling the tension of the lever through the key as it turns to the stop.The only thing i feel is a bit of a faff is the length of the key, its a tad short i feel as it easily slips off the lever as its turned and then you have to relocate but not a major issue as such.
I have an endoscope too so will try and see whats going on under the pop top this weekend and post some pics.
I have an Aurora roof and was given a long key to use when locking/unlocking. I routinely check my roof is clamped down by trying to lift the front corner with my thumb. I can feel if there is any movement. I also occasionally visually check the position of the lock from the inside and confirm it is locked with the key.

IMG_2404.jpeg

Reactions: CAB
I have an Aurora roof and was given a long key to use when locking/unlocking. I routinely check my roof is clamped down by trying to lift the front corner with my thumb. I can feel if there is any movement. I also occasionally visually check the position of the lock from the inside and confirm it is locked with the key.

View attachment 220816
My key is the short type...on the look out for a longer key. I too try and pull up the front edge once it is secured.
Be interested to know where i can pick up a longer version.

My endoscope is showing my catches as you would expect to see them working normally and securing the roof down. The catch is fully overlapping the stay as much as it physically can. Im quite happy with them atm but i think i will make the relativley short trip to the installer who fitted them 3 years ago so he can double check everything

IMG_4861.JPGIMG_4862.JPG.IMG_4860.JPG

Jumping in to say our Skyline Aurora opened on the autobahn at 80ish yesterday! Installer is going to fix but now both cams are bent don’t tighten top properly.

Has anyone successfully bent them back or am I best leaving alone for now?

Cheers

View attachment 207054

View attachment 207055
I managed to remove swing arm and straighten it up in a vice... but I will be getting it looked at tomorrow...
I must admit not the best design,and I've also seen that some people haven't had any issues with them

To get you home I would suggest a Ratchet Strap over the roof an in through passenger & drivers door window the tighten up with the ratchet buckle in the cab roof area.

Reactions: CAB
Well reading through all these posts has now put me off a skyline!! Whats the best alternative for the same money?? Is the SCA worth the extra cash? I did notice that skyline do 3 roofs the cheapest one dosnt use the cam lock , just straps , i do like the skyline roof slider to tidy things up when closed

Well reading through all these posts has now put me off a skyline!! Whats the best alternative for the same money?? Is the SCA worth the extra cash? I did notice that skyline do 3 roofs the cheapest one dosnt use the cam lock , just straps , i do like the skyline roof slider to tidy things up when closed
Exercise a reasonable amount of caution and scrutiny with any roof you go with.

The Skyline Aurora roof is great. You won’t be disappointed. Love my cams. So tidy and convenient. And perfectly safe in my view. Won’t catch me messing around with straps.

Last edited:
I had my pop up Roof fitted by Cosmic campers of Derby. They fit the Storm pop top and also fit the roof slider to tidy it all off. Mine being a LWB I had an Alltops roof fitted also with the roof slider. The story behind my pop top was that I was booked in to have a Skyline fitted but I was contactacted by the converter and made aware that they were no longer fitting Skyline roof due to repeated incidents of roofs lifting on motorways etc.

Exercise a reasonable amount of caution and scrutiny with any rod you go with.

The Skyline Aurora roof is great. You won’t be disappointed. Love my cams. So tidy and convenient. And perfectly safe in my view. Won’t catch me messing around with straps.

Exercise a reasonable amount of caution and scrutiny with any rod you go with.

Must admit I’m not sure which roof my van has (bought an already converted van) but I it does rely on straps. It’s sat at 80mph for hours, annd 70mph in horrendous weather, and never had any concerns about it lifting.
As an engineer cam locks seem a better option on paper but physically testing something, rather than just writing it off, I is also worth doing and opens up options. I have no concerns about my pop top lifting.

I have the Aurora lwb. It has failed 3-4 times now, but after the first 2 times I secure with a strap as well as latches.The latches aren’t strong enough, maybe if they were cast instead of stamped they would be better. It’s in high wind and when passing lorries it fails, the pressure pulls the roof up and bends the latches. You can see in the photo how much more bent one is than the other, you can also see the one that’s more bent has happened in two stages(the rub marks have changed position)
Skyline deny there’s a problem but they should really think about a solution.( Ie if the latches were cast instead of stamped metal.)
3B304FEF-8BEF-48FA-B060-76D2CF35D936.jpeg3D4ABFC0-F563-40D4-AB61-E9A175C51F27.jpeg

I have the Aurora lwb. It has failed 3-4 times now, but after the first 2 times I secure with a strap as well as latches.The latches aren’t strong enough, maybe if they were cast instead of stamped they would be better. It’s in high wind and when passing lorries it fails, the pressure pulls the roof up and bends the latches. You can see in the photo how much more bent one is than the other, you can also see the one that’s more bent has happened in two stages(the rub marks have changed position)
Skyline deny there’s a problem but they should really think about a solution.( Ie if the latches were cast instead of stamped metal.)
View attachment 230692View attachment 230693
Welcome to the forum @Woodyboy and sorry if it’s this situation that caused you to join. I hope the forum helps with finding a satisfactory solution soon.
Andy
PS Useful pics

View attachment 230692View attachment 230693
Do you have an effective wind deflector strip in front of the front lip of the roof? I don’t get the sense on mine that there is much wind pressure on my pop top.

Do you have an effective wind deflector strip in front of the front lip of the roof? I don’t get the sense on mine that there is much wind pressure on my pop top.
Yeah, I didn’t think there was anything wrong with mine until “BANG!!!” At 60 mph the top flipped up. Horrible feeling.Once it happens to you once you will be putting straps on as well.
Yes there is a rubber wind deflector fitted.
I will still trust the latches for short jaunts in the summer, but I use my van all the time as a work vehicle, in the winter in the wind I drive with straps on aswell.

Yeah, I didn’t think there was anything wrong with mine until “BANG!!!” At 60 mph the top flipped up. Horrible feeling.Once it happens to you once you will be putting straps on as well.
Yes there is a rubber wind deflector fitted.
I will still trust the latches for short jaunts in the summer, but I use my van all the time as a work vehicle, in the winter in the wind I drive with straps on aswell.
Yea, I can see how even once this would destroy your confidence in the roof latches.

My cams continue to snug down the roof firmly every time. I haven’t yet had any reason to doubt them.

Yea, I can see how even once this would destroy your confidence in the roof latches.

My cams continue to snug down the roof firmly every time. I haven’t yet had any reason to doubt them.
Other than the fact there are people on here talking about them failing.

Other than the fact there are people on here talking about them failing.
I take your point, but respectfully I have my pop top in front of me and I have to weigh that against (mostly) anonymous people on the internet.

We all have to make judgement decisions based on the information available.

For the moment, I trust my roof and am fully pleased with it. I have no first hand reason for concern.

I take your point, but respectfully I have my pop top in front of me and I have to weigh that against (mostly) anonymous people on the internet.

We all have to make judgement decisions based on the information available.

For the moment, I trust my roof and am fully pleased with it. I have no first hand reason for concern.
Same. Mine is absolutely rock solid.

Back