Side-window curtain recommendations

Yes I did, I’ll grab some pictures later for you.

pretty easy to fit, the screws supplied aren’t great so I used my own.
Some pics would be grand cheers Yeah supplied fitting are rarely half decent, I assume you matched them up at the likes of screwfix etc

Some pics would be grand cheers Yeah supplied fitting are rarely half decent, I assume you matched them up at the likes of screwfix etc

they were tech screws but a cheap version, poor screw head. I use similar at work so just swapped them out for those.

Reading this thread, curtains all seem pretty similar with no clear favourite.

Currently looking at THQ, Vanstyle, VanX and Kiravans.

Any further comments / recommendations?

Ian

Reading this thread, curtains all seem pretty similar with no clear favourite.

Currently looking at THQ, Vanstyle, VanX and Kiravans.

Any further comments / recommendations?

Ian
Van x do different sizes, like if you kept original side door panel on a shuttle for example then you can get the shorter curtain.

Hey Y’all. So peeps here have been saying that these dang curtain rails are never an exact match so was wondering whether the ones I’ve just received from vanstyle are proper effed (pardon french) or is this normal?

I mean the ends are so buckled the plastic caps don’t line up flush.

I’ve used vanstyle before and had nee probs. Should I send these badboys back or suck it up and try to make them fit?

ta!

DDF0FF7E-E692-4154-BC64-49EA64EE2B4C.jpeg8EE8ECD3-4F76-4EA8-8C5D-80AEE5B8F7A7.jpeg158E9C90-9B12-451B-9F28-12683FA0942C.jpegC811067B-5774-4DE9-B427-8B99A9E2152B.jpeg84F30DF6-F13B-43AC-B458-03E52207530C.jpeg79A3ED21-CA5B-48F9-943D-255A7B5EDDD0.jpegF60B8BA5-2E37-401A-8D00-A449476BA5DA.jpegA67089CE-4A76-4759-AFB1-6ACDDAF47590.jpeg

That’s poor. I would show them those pictures and ask them to send some that fit more closely.

Pete

There does seem to be a shortage of drapery at the moment! Full set of blackout in grey seams unobtainium!

My curtains and rails arrived from van style this afternoon and are pretty damn poor. Different shades of grey and rails so bad I cannot work out how they fit despite having stickers staring up or down. I have ordered stuff before from them with no problem. What on earth is going on with them

My blue Van X blackout curtains arrived today - I’ll have a go a fitting some tomorrow…

3000B833-9E75-4E17-8BB8-0E2BB6B75C4B.jpeg

Just noticed all of my rails are straight and there appears to be a bending tool!
I’ve just fitted Van-X side curtains, and I too was surprised they arrived with straight rails that needed cutting to size - I obviously didn’t read the description very closely when buying them!

It might seem like a PITA, but I was actually glad of the flexibility of cutting and placing the bend exactly where I wanted it.

Tip 1- Leave a bit extra each end before creating your bend then trim off the excess before adding your end caps - I found you get a much smoother curve this way.

Tip 2 - try to apply downward pressure/push down, as you gently bend the rail. This helps minimise the track prizing opening, which it naturally wants to do as you bend.

Good luck!

@ched Thankyou. I know what you mean about the channel opening up. I’ll find a bit of timber to use as a mandrel. I also have a dress making tape in my tool kit as its ideal for measuring across curved surfaces, to work out the rail lengths (spotted one being used on one of the America car hotrod programs).

Just one observation from opening one of the packs. The fixing screws seem extraordinarily long! I dont have carpet lining so do you think 1/2” screws will suffice rather than 1”? I found a youtube vid of them being fitted in a T5 and the owner had to cut some screws down as they hit something inside the panel?

Cheers
Ian

@ched Thankyou. I know what you mean about the channel opening up. I’ll find a bit of timber to use as a mandrel. I also have a dress making tape in my tool kit as its ideal for measuring across curved surfaces, to work out the rail lengths (spotted one being used on one of the America car hotrod programs).

Just one observation from opening one of the packs. The fixing screws seem extraordinarily long! I dont have carpet lining so do you think 1/2” screws will suffice rather than 1”? I found a youtube vid of them being fitted in a T5 and the owner had to cut some screws down as they hit something inside the panel?

Cheers
Ian
I think 1/2” will be fine, I just used the screws supplied as they are dome headed and I didn’t have any shorter in the house.

I did drill pilot holes for all the screws with a 2.5mm bit, then used a screwdriver (by hand) to secure.

I used a smaller (2mm) bit for the studs/poppers, as the supplied screws for these, the brass coloured ones, are tiny and you may have trouble getting them to bite in a 2.5mm pilot.

I got some 12mm x 3.5 stainless dome head self tappers from Screwfix part no 9456H. I’ll report back on how they work.

Ian

So, the stainless screws were pants. Wouldn’t cut into the body panel. Final straw I snapped one and just managed to get it out. I had some other screws in stock that worked better.

I found a bit of bicycle inner tube slipped over the end of the rail helped with final dressing with the rubber hammer, to protect the paintwork.

One down 5 to go!!

Attachments

• 37320B09-EF9C-4A0A-8EF8-A1BAABA7B444.jpeg
    37320B09-EF9C-4A0A-8EF8-A1BAABA7B444.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 35
Hi - I have the blue Van-X ones but I'm a bit nervous about drilling the van with the sliding side windows that we have, particularly on the passenger side with the door.

Did anyone here fit these and do you have any tips?

Thanks!

IMG_6041.jpg

IMG_6042.jpg

Back