Side bars and water ingress through underbody panels

Cali_on_laughing

T6 Pro
Hello,

Hope all you are all well! Can’t wait to nee t you all at a meet!!!

So I have bought gloss black side bars angled for my t6.1 and wen to get them fitted but went back and they weren’t done.

Mechanic wanted my permission to cut the cover at the base of the van as he stated it’s designed to stop water ingress to some mechanical components and cutting into it to fit side bars, could let water in.

What are people thoughts and experiences of this. Would love side bars but dont want to have them if it’s going to cause me problems at a future date?

Thank you so much everyone!! Any wisdom or advice is greatly appreciated!

I cut it to fit my side bars- it’s only a small square so that it fits around the mounts so don’t think it’s a problem.

Cutting a hole in the under tray could let water in, however it does an equally good job at letting it back out again...im also part of the 'cut a small hole around the mounts' gang

If this was truly the case, there would be hundreds.. if not, thousands of rotted out transporters surely.

I think sometimes, it's easy to overthink some things.

I’m another that cut the plastic under trays to fit around the side bar mounts.
The under trays do not stop water ingress as they are not sealed in any way, though they will minimise it except when driving though deep water.

Back