Powdercoat Peeling on Side Bars

5n0wb0mb3r

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Afternoon All,
I had some black trapezoid side bars supplied and fitted by a garage 9 months ago, the coating has started peeling off at the fronts.
The manufacturer has said they wont do anything, its because I don't have mud flaps, I don't want them.
Can anyone recommend a spray paint / coating that is hard wearing enough for this kind of application?
Thanks

I have a-bar and round side bars painted with Raptor, applied with a roller on top of roughened and etch primed chrome.

I like the surface texture but it still chips. You need a pretty thick coat with Raptor and I think it chips due to being so hard. Could be due to the chrome basis but I think it would peel rather than chip if the basis was the problem.

IMG_3686.jpeg

I have a-bar and round side bars painted with Raptor, applied with a roller on top of roughened and etch primed chrome.

I like the surface texture but it still chips. You need a pretty thick coat with Raptor and I think it chips due to being so hard. Could be due to the chrome basis but I think it would peel rather than chip if the basis was the problem.
Ok thanks for the feed back, I’m thinking of buying some Black Matt Trapezoid bars, and spraying them to add something a bit different, I’ll get a few coats on them

Make sure to have a proper mask and really well ventilated space when working with it. It’s the worst smelling paint I’ve ever used. Probably translates directly to toxicity.

Satin black hammerite in a spray can has been good for patching up my flaky sidebars it’s a good match

Here’s a fresh photo of chipping after two winters. This is front a-bar, and being in Finland it’s about as bad as it gets - we have road sanding and lot of spiked tyres in use. The front gets lot of bombarding.

Should fix this summer, good thing with Raptor is that you should be able to just paint on top without any sanding, just cleaning is supposed to be enough.

And one more note of Raptor, it needs to dry a whole week without getting wet, might or might not be an issue

IMG_3687.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: mmi
Thanks for the advice, yes I’d spray bars before fitting them so can leave undercover to harden off for the week, I’ll hang them up while I spray them so I can get all sides painted, I’ve got a carport canopy, so plenty of fresh air while spraying.
I was going to buy some HESS rock slider bars, but they are so expensive, I’ve decided to get some basic bars and give them a makeover for a more purposeful look, will suit van as a swamper in the making

The manufacturer has said they wont do anything, its because I don't have mud flaps, I don't want them.
Did the manufacturer / supplier specify that you must have mud flaps at anytime in the purchase / installation instructions?
If not I wouldn’t regard the product as being fit for purpose.

Why not re powdercoat them?

My guess is they were done with only a light covering from new to meet a price? So it’s not that powdercoat is crap, it’s the thickness applied and on to a good keyed surface that counts.

Back