Newbie with a Kombi…

Richieboy64

Hi everyone, recently joined the group and this is my first post.
It’s my third Kombi but this time I want personalize it in a better way.
I’ve just purchased some side bars & roof rails which I intend fitting myself.
So my first question is how difficult is it to fit the side bars, I know the roof rails are fairly straightforward and I need to use a good sealant.
All tips & advice welcome…
3BC307D2-15F8-45FE-B3AA-61597C99B64A.jpeg5CAE9A94-5F1F-4EFA-8C19-49FD8BC1F70C.jpeg

Last edited:
So my first question is how difficult is it to fit the side bars, I know the roof rails are fairly straightforward and I need to use a good sealant.
View attachment 139758View attachment 139759
lovely looking van. Regarding the sidebars it depends on make/type. They are usually fairly straightforward to fit. Mine came from Leightons which have the type of fitting that requires bolts to be put into existing holes in the sills and from these brackets are then fitted. The bolts can be a bit fiddly and it is easier to do if you jack/ramp the van one side at a time as you need to lower the underbody covers to fit the bolts/brackets. Also, when refitting the underbody covers, they need to be notched to fit around the clamps.

lovely looking van. Regarding the sidebars it depends on make/type. They are usually fairly straightforward to fit. Mine came from Leightons which have the type of fitting that requires bolts to be put into existing holes in the sills and from these brackets are then fitted. The bolts can be a bit fiddly and it is easier to do if you jack/ramp the van one side at a time as you need to lower the underbody covers to fit the bolts/brackets. Also, when refitting the underbody covers, they need to be notched to fit around the clamps.
Hi and thank you for this, it confirms what I already thought. Gonna have a go at the job today

View attachment 139758View attachment 139759
For the roof rails don't rely on sealant alone, have a read of this thread, i found it worked really well

and for side-bars, see this thread:
Side-bar fitting query

and then lowering..

Back