Side Bars and jacking-up

Toastie

Hi .can someone please help,I have a 18 plate t6 ,I put long side bars on and they cover all the jacking up points ,can anyone tell me if I am better with a bottle jack or a trolley jack .thanks hope someone can help as we are going on holiday soon. Thanks again .john

Hi .can someone please help,I have a 18 plate t6 ,I put long side bars on and they cover all the jacking up points ,can anyone tell me if I am better with a bottle jack or a trolley jack .thanks hope someone can help as we are going on holiday soon. Thanks again .john
If you look in the Owners manual page 310 it explains the jacking points. The bars do not cover them. (Well mine don't)

Just bought a 5 tonne hilka bottle jack from Screwfix. Works a treat and not impeded by the side bars. Chose the 5 tonne over the 3 tonne as the max lifting range of the 5 tonne was 413mm compared with 372mm of the 3 tonne. More secure than the scissor jack VW provides and equally portable for a side of the road wheel change.

Might I also suggest including a decent wheel wrench in your kit.

Hi just bought a hyper 10ton bottle jack of Amazon it's German made so hopefully it will do the job .many thanks John.

hi

Recently picked up a t6 that came with chrome side bars, trouble is they attach to the van on the jacking points, which means you can’t use the standard jack and have to jack on a trolley under the suspension

Has anyone had this before? And if so is there a different way to attach them to the van?

Appreciate any guidance

Thanks

Can you share a photo of the attachment points for your side bars? The jack points on my van are behind and offset from where the side bars attach so can still be used.

Can the standard jack that comes with a T6 still be used if sidebars are fitted? If not what do people do with regards to a jack?

yes, The sport-line model comes with sidebars and the standard scissor jack.

I carry a small hydraulic bottle jack, 4000kg, much easier to use than the vw one supplied. i carry a small square of quality plywood to put jack on when lifting car. OEM jack never felt safe

Back