(Side Assist) / (Blind Spot Detection & Rear Cross Traffic Alert) retrofit

This should be useful for any ambitious T6.1 BSA/RCTA retrofiters.

Among these data sets I have tried the one for T6.1, and weirdly I got a fault regarding mirror LEDs.
I can only suspect that T6.1 mirror LEDs are different (different wattage and/or voltage compared to the ones I have used).
In deed I was right, T6.1 uses 5.5V mirror indication LEDs.
VQp-5ETWzZ82RIJ-OpbT68OYdQ8-960.jpg
And that is why I was getting DTC when I tried T6.1 data set with my 12V LEDs.

Conclusion, on 2Q0 radars the data set also defines radar output voltage for mirror LEDs.

Hi everybody. I got a very long issue with my 5Q0c retrofitted in my sharan 2013. First of all. installation all good. i dont have any error from the 3C. The problem is, its taking forever for the dynamic calibration even after 10k kms. so during that time I've been monitoring the detection angle along the drive. so i decided to adjust the installation angle of the radar a bit to the rear(because i noticed the warning still come on when theres car on the other lane, not the adjacent lane). after that, i got the dynamic calibration completed slowly at around 15k km! but still its not performing well. it just detect the car when its totally near to me, which is inside the blindspot but not depending on the speed difference between the car. and my rcta just not showing any warning for incoming traffic from the left. but i can see the rcta warning alive for cars from behind when i stop at traffic light.

So do you think i need to flash the 5q0 to B version as in facelifted sharan or something not right somewhere? appreciate the help.

I have A5 Lane assist. PLa2.5 1k8
IMG_2928.jpegIMG_2679.jpeg

Attachments

• Log-VGV7971-WVWZZZ7NZDV024587-20920km-12999mi-220512.txt
    23.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Did change the left Sensor from WHT 003 857 to WHT 003 857 B.
After Ignition on i was greeted by the ABS Warning and the Error Code:
0071 - Rear Left Wheel Speed Sensor
C101C 4A [137] - Incorrect component(s) installed

Changed coding for the left Side to Bidirectional ABS Sensor (Last Byte 0x10)
Works like expected :D
View attachment 68990
View attachment 68991

ABS sensors
WHT 003 856 C
WHT 003 857 C
are also bidirectional and compatible with T6 :D

20230612_104226.jpg

Coding needed is 0x50.
With 0xF0 we are inverting the Polarity and than forward is backward and vice versa :)

I did an experiment with 0xF0 in ABS coding and discovered something interesting.
Basically when rear bidirectional sensors are coded for reverse operation it messes up accuracy of SAT-NAV on Discover Media. While on the move vehicle is always shifted from its real location and keeps on changing orientation.

This obviously proves that the speed readings from all four wheels are taken into consideration when vehicle location is being established. And the SAT-NAV doesn't rely on GPS signal only.

Hi everybody. I got a very long issue with my 5Q0c retrofitted in my sharan 2013. First of all. installation all good. i dont have any error from the 3C. The problem is, its taking forever for the dynamic calibration even after 10k kms. so during that time I've been monitoring the detection angle along the drive. so i decided to adjust the installation angle of the radar a bit to the rear(because i noticed the warning still come on when theres car on the other lane, not the adjacent lane). after that, i got the dynamic calibration completed slowly at around 15k km! but still its not performing well. it just detect the car when its totally near to me, which is inside the blindspot but not depending on the speed difference between the car. and my rcta just not showing any warning for incoming traffic from the left. but i can see the rcta warning alive for cars from behind when i stop at traffic light.

So do you think i need to flash the 5q0 to B version as in facelifted sharan or something not right somewhere? appreciate the help.

I have A5 Lane assist. PLa2.5 1k8
Try this coding: 03031102

Try this coding: 03031102
Ok. thank you. I will try 03031202 then for rhd. Right now. I've done more than 80km of driving. the measurement block showed that I've done 19km and still 0% for both value and 0 degree for dyn angle. Is this normal?

yes. thats why i will put 03031202 instead of 03031102 like your suggestion. thanks. but may I know what exactly the frequency range 1 and 3 differ? is this some sort of country coding?

for the first byte, 03 is using cluster beep instead of 04 using pdc headunit beep. right?

I did an experiment with 0xF0 in ABS coding and discovered something interesting.
Basically when rear bidirectional sensors are coded for reverse operation it messes up accuracy of SAT-NAV on Discover Media. While on the move vehicle is always shifted from its real location and keeps on changing orientation.

This obviously proves that the speed readings from all four wheels are taken into consideration when vehicle location is being established. And the SAT-NAV doesn't rely on GPS signal only.

That is interesting. Nav could, in theory, use speed information to improve position estimate when satellites are not in view eg in a tunnel. I’ll be driving through a very long one tomorrow, I’ll try to remember to check if position changes in a tunnel and especially if it’s even semiaccurate if I slow down while in the tunnel.

Since bidirectional rear sensors is 0x50 (00110000) and both rear and front are 0xF0 (11110000) I think each bit in high nibble corresponds to a wheel and could be flipped even individually.

Edit: 0x50 is actually 01010000 :notworthy:. Still, could be a bit per wheel.

Last edited:
That is interesting. Nav could, in theory, use speed information to improve position estimate when satellites are not in view eg in a tunnel. I’ll be driving through a very long one tomorrow, I’ll try to remember to check if position changes in a tunnel and especially if it’s even semiaccurate if I slow down while in the tunnel.

I think the nav indeed used wheel speeds to improve position accuracy.

I drove in to 1.2km tunnel about 100km/h. Once well in the tunnel I slowed down to 80km/h. The nav did not stop moving at any point. Upon exit, I didn’t see any jump or noticeable difference in the map position as compared to real life. Quick napkin maff tells me there should have been about 50m error on exit if nav was just using last known speed before going into the tunnel.

Hardly scientific… and I have no way to be sure but I don’t think there’s any provisions to amplify gps signals within the tunnel.

btw I guess navigation system does use accelerometer input for acceleration value in many directions. thats why it knows the travel direction anyway. And from that value, its just a simple calculation to determine the speed and approximate location within the tunnel. No need the actual wheel speed although the information is always there in broadcasted CAN right?

btw I guess navigation system does use accelerometer input for acceleration value in many directions. thats why it knows the travel direction anyway. And from that value, its just a simple calculation to determine the speed and approximate location within the tunnel. No need the actual wheel speed although the information is always there in broadcasted CAN right?

Yeah it could use many data points, internal and external, to improve on accuracy and reliability. But as per @Robert finding earlier wheel speed sensors (at least direction of them) is definitely in play.

The wheel speeds are broadcasted on drivetrain CAN bus but radio / NAV is on convenience CAN. Full 100Hz speed of every wheel is not on convenience CAN but the derivative reverse signal and vehicle speed (ie what goes to clocks etc) are.

Hello guys! I'm from Romania, i don't have a T6 but i'm in the same boat lets say... MK6 Golf 6. This forum helped me alot and i thank you for this!
I've retrofited BSD and RTA into my car 5Q0 C radars. All seems to work correctly with only 2 issues left:
1. the system (both BSD and RTA) doesn't stay active all the time, it deactivate itself if i stop the engine and i manually have to activate each time i start the car. How to make them active all the time?
2. i don't have any sound warnings (only visual, maybe I haven't tested enough or I haven't met the necessary conditions for sound alerts?) —> some guy told me that for this i need to install active abs sensors on the rear wheels? Now, with the actual abs sensors the system does not know the direction of moving and that’s why it doesn't give sound warnings). If someone can confirm this?

And one last thing... if someone can help me editing the VCP xml for parkassist attached here? The file has been posted by @dnoermann
here
My module 1K8919472C comes from a car with electrical parking brake and my car has manual parking brake.
This has to be modified:
deactivate EPB.jpg

Attachments

• 10_VCP_0xC2CD_7N0039v____10_Sharan.xml
    4.4 KB · Views: 9
1. the system (both BSD and RTA) doesn't stay active all the time, it deactivate itself if i stop the engine and i manually have to activate each time i start the car. How to make them active all the time?
The same thing happened to me sometime after I have completed my 7E0 Side Assist retrofit. Basically I had to activate the assistant manually after each ignition cycle.
If you flash your radars again, upload data set and restore your coding this problem should fade away.
2. i don't have any sound warnings (only visual, maybe I haven't tested enough or I haven't met the necessary conditions for sound alerts?) —> some guy told me that for this i need to install active abs sensors on the rear wheels? Now, with the actual abs sensors the system does not know the direction of moving and that’s why it doesn't give sound warnings). If someone can confirm this?
I didn't do AUDIO WARNING test when I had my factory unidirectional rear sensors so can't advise for sure.
But in general(if RCTA is coded in PDC) the AUDIO WARNING is produced(by the PDC) only if you are actually moving backwards and the system detects another vehicle moving across your back.
And one last thing... if someone can help me editing the VCP xml for parkassist attached here? The file has been posted by @dnoermann
here
My module 1K8919472C comes from a car with electrical parking brake and my car has manual parking brake.
This has to be modified:
View attachment 207711
What is not working for you with this data set? I used it on my T6 without and then with the EPB and I haven't noticed any difference.

I didn't do AUDIO WARNING test when I had my factory unidirectional rear sensors so can't advise for sure.
But in general(if RCTA is coded in PDC) the AUDIO WARNING is produced(by the PDC) only if you are actually moving backwards and the system detects another vehicle moving across your back.
Did more tests today, no sound, only visual.
PDC is coded, even if i don't have on byte 3 bit 6 (because of .ROD i think), i coded the binary.
IMG_2499.jpg
What is not working for you with this data set? I used it on my T6 without and then with the EPB and I haven't noticed any difference.
i have this error... the PDC module is searching for feedback from electrical parking brake module, which I don't have. Found on the internet that this error is related to "handbremse" which is handbrake and someone gave me the solution posted in my previous post.
IMG_2492.jpg
And with this occasion (flushing PDC) maybe i will have also that spider grid :)
Atm it's like this:
IMG_2496.jpg
and i would love to have like this:
spider view.jpg
also if you know how i can make it appear that small car icon on the top left ?

Last edited:
Hello guys! I'm from Romania, i don't have a T6 but i'm in the same boat lets say... MK6 Golf 6. This forum helped me alot and i thank you for this!
I've retrofited BSD and RTA into my car 5Q0 C radars. All seems to work correctly with only 2 issues left:

here
This has to be modified:
View attachment 207711
Hi,
Sorry for double posting but could someone help me editing the xml quoted above according to the procedure?
@Robert @dnoermann @TheKeymeister or anyone else?
Thanks!

Back