(Side Assist) / (Blind Spot Detection & Rear Cross Traffic Alert) retrofit

Well, kind of.
Both radars need to be mounted behind the bumper, on either side.
Some kind of bracket work would need to be made to mount them firmly and keep them positioned correctly (longitudinal axis angle and vertical angle).
5Q0 and 2Q0 radars perform dynamic calibration as the vehicle is being driven so any positioning imperfections (within limits) would be compensated by the software.
I haven't pulled off the bumper yet to have a look at the area under there, but looking at this post: Removing the Rear Bumper [Guide]

full?d=1546481824.jpg
The area in the bumper directly below where the sensor would normally go seems to have a similar angled face. If the sensors have some self-calibration like you say then mounting it with the original bracket with maybe a few washers as spacers if necessary could be a feasible option right?

Getting the sensor to be plumb and level shouldn't be that hard, right? If that's the only real hurdle I'm thinking I may attempt this challenge.

Unless I'm missing something of course....... Though I've only just bought this vehicle and it's got less than 700kms on it so far. I'm also in two minds about whether I'm ready to be drilling holes into it...... ha ha ha:laugh:

2Q0 radar up and running on the bench. Took me a while to figure out the PT canbus connections. hi/low are on 6/7 for 5Q0 but on 2/1 for 2Q0 :inlove:
@Robert what coding do you use? I'll be uploading MB12_VW32 dataset since I have no clue what I'm currently running.

2022-11-24 13.25.06.jpg

Well, kind of.
Both radars need to be mounted behind the bumper, on either side.
Some kind of bracket work would need to be made to mount them firmly and keep them positioned correctly (longitudinal axis angle and vertical angle).
5Q0 and 2Q0 radars perform dynamic calibration as the vehicle is being driven so any positioning imperfections (within limits) would be compensated by the software.
Hi, I read through the thread but I must have missed it.

It appears the sensors are just below the tail lights? Can I get to them by removing the light and then hopefully the panel can be easily removed giving me access to the mounting screws?

I have recently got a RH self calibration fault and the whole system is now dead so looking to swap the sensor for a used one and hopefully avoid the calibration.

That is of course I am looking at the correct module ??

Screenshot_20221122-045102_OBDeleven.jpg

Did you guys connect your 2Q0 radars to the powertrain canbus network or the instrument cluster CAN?
I completed my bench setup, with +15, GND and canbus powertrain and it's error free, apart from an error related to 'E-Can'.
E-can, I presume, is VW-speak for extended canbus network.
This supplies the A5 cam and the SWA in some models.

In the PQ25 platform, the A5 cam is connected to the instrument CAN, i.e. in VW Up. The same network as the high-beam assist.
And on PQ35 (Passat NMS for example), the A5 cam and SWA share the 'extended canbus'.

Last edited:
Today I finally fitted also mirror warning lights and load paranmeters ( Octavia Scout ). Which parameter is it best one?
Dynamic calibration is done and everything works good.
So the side assist retrofit is it possible also barndoor models;)
I use passat b8 mirror leds so o don't need resistors.IMG-20230113-WA0008.jpeg

IMG-20230113-WA0006.jpeg

Thanks to this forum/thread I was able to fit the Blind Spot/ Rear Traffic successfully to my car and as far as I know it is working perfectly... However, I do get one error code which won't go away.

19 Gateway

System description: GW-K-CAN TP20
Software number: 7E0909901
Software version: 0736
Hardware number: 7E0937089
Hardware version: H80
Long coding: 402103

Trouble codes:
02849 - Lane change assistance control module No signal/communication
Intermittent
Priority: 2
Frequency counter: 2
Driving cycle: 140

Mileage: 50663 km

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this, and how I can fix it? Any ideas would be very gratefully recieved.

Check your CAN wiring goin to radars and redo your CAN termination points(can-h and can-l).

Check your CAN wiring goin to radars and redo your CAN termination points(can-h and can-l).
Thanks Robert... I'm almost 100% sure the wiring is good. When I got the (Kufatec) harness I checked it against the factory wiring diagram and it was perfect. When I fitted the harness I made a stupid mistake, I untwisted the two CAN wires to reduce their length (harness was for LHD), and I didn't re twist them. So, when I realised that they should be twisted I did it all for a second time and twisted the wires. Connections are soldered, they should be good!

Add to that everything works perfectly, at least I think it does. If I remove the fuse to the radar's I even get the warning light on the dash, and message in the MFD.

Is there anything else that I could check?

20220505_171255.jpg

20220611_121904.jpg

And so it begins… :whistle:

Ok realistically will still take couple of months to receive all bits and bobs and to find time to put it all together, but I’m anyway excited for some good sensor pr0n :p

ED60278E-754B-46DE-B8D6-CB4569FC00B1.jpegE5FE5E82-C46F-4F67-B1E5-3F6DA69DFAA4.jpeg

Back