Show Us Your Mountain Bikes :)

After a few week's on a friends eMTB, I decided to add this to the stable. I was never against E's, I'd say I was neutral before having a go. Once you have a go, it's total conversion. I'll never want to pedal back up to the top of a track again. You get so much more downhill time and runs in and are so much fresher for each run. A total necessity for downhill venues with no uplift. I'm hooked :cool:

View attachment 74736View attachment 74739

Now that looks a whole load of fun. What's it like geometry wise, modern,? ie. Long and slack with steep seat tube?

Now that looks a whole load of fun. What's it like geometry wise, modern,? ie. Long and slack with steep seat tube?

Yep ... it's the 2020, so bang on geometry-wise, In fact Mondraker were first with the whole roomy cockpit and long wheel base thing. They call it 'Forward Geometry' .. long reach but with super short 30mm stem on all their bikes Not as extreme as Pole or Geometron bikes but a 470mm Reach and I think 1280mm wheelbase on a Medium is bonkers. According to Mondraker, I could've sized up as I was borderline on their size chart for a Large at 5'10" !!!!! o_O

It's 180mm travel 29" with a 65degs head angle. Can't remember Seat Angle as it's an eBike anyway and I'm a downhiller. Mondraker classify it as "Super Enduro" so it won't have the best seat angle for folks prioritising pedaling

Had first runs today to dial suspension settings and tyre pressures etc. The best way to sum this monster up is, it's the best bike I've ever ridden and better than any DH bike I've ever ridden. The perfect tool for downhill venues with no uplift service

Last edited:
Bit of retro for you. Bought back in 2001 for £500, which was a fair amount of money back then, bought with the best of intentions, probably ridden it half a dozen times since. Giant XTC 840.
Took it to my local Giant shop recently to have new brakes fitted because the originals had seized and the guys that worked there were all over it, they even called everyone from out the back to come and have a look. :think smile bounce:

44B15DBE-7700-4423-981C-C8F491942ABB.jpegBEBC8481-3B62-4483-8EC5-D23C47EFD1CC.jpeg

Been waiting 6 months for my name to get to the top of the build queue so that I could go and pick this beauty up.

All the tubing was hand cut and tacked together by Gary Woodhouse and brazed by Brian Curtis of Curtis Bikes near Glastonbury with bespoke tube lengths, material grades and gauges, running with a Pinion gearbox, wheels were also handbuilt by my son who also put it all together for me. To be honest even if it rode like a bag of poo (it doesn't) I'd happily hang it on the wall and spend all day simply looking at it :D:D:D
20200701_172043.jpg

Last edited:
After a few week's on a friends eMTB, I decided to add this to the stable. I was never against E's, I'd say I was neutral before having a go. Once you have a go, it's total conversion. I'll never want to pedal back up to the top of a track again. You get so much more downhill time and runs in and are so much fresher for each run. A total necessity for downhill venues with no uplift. I'm hooked :cool:

thats the nuts mate thinking of going ebike myself !

Very nice! My mate has just got a Crafty RR SL that i had a play with last week. Not quite the same beast as your Crusher (I think that's what it is) but a phenomenally capable bike that is just so agile for an eeeb. Sub 20kg; I suspect that's where the next wave of advancements will be heading

Been waiting 6 months for my name to get to the top of the build queue so that I could go and pick this beauty up.

All the tubing was hand cut and tacked together by Gary Woodhouse and brazed by Brian Curtis of Curtis Bikes near Glastonbury with bespoke tube lengths, material grades and gauges, running with a Pinion gearbox, wheels were also handbuilt by my son who also put it all together for me. To be honest even if it rode like a bag of poo (it doesn't) I'd happily hang it on the wall and happily spend all day simply looking at it :D:D:D
View attachment 76136
That is stunning and really nice you don’t see an abundance of them when you are out.
I totally understand about putting it on a walk to look at.
I had a New Ducati 748 in red With gold back in 2002 I used to keep in in the front room if our house Highly polished

thats the nuts mate thinking of going ebike myself !
Cheers dude ... there are loads of good venues in the UK with no uplift service. I can't find enough words to describe how good it is getting back to the top without pedaling when you're at such venues. I promise, you will not regret it. On top of that, the weight and geometry of eBikes like mine handle as good as, if not better, than any DH bike I've ever owned or ridden. Off the top of my head, the bikes I'd put in this 'eBeast' category : Mine, which is a 2020 Level RR, Specialized Kenevo, Commencal MetaPower, Whyte E180 and YT Decoy. They all come in different spec levels and therefore different prices to suit different budgets.

Get one for sure ! :cool: :thumbsup:

Very nice! My mate has just got a Crafty RR SL that i had a play with last week. Not quite the same beast as your Crusher (I think that's what it is) but a phenomenally capable bike that is just so agile for an eeeb. Sub 20kg; I suspect that's where the next wave of advancements will be heading

I think you're right, getting lighter is the future over the coming years. Mine is actually this year's Level RR and as you say, it's a Beast. That is why I bought it. 180mm on a 29er is brutal.

Thing is about the weight though, after years trying to get our Trail bikes lighter, ironically, the weight of these things creates a 'planted-ness' and reduction in on track deflection that can never be achieved on an equivalent analog bike weighing say 13kgs ... no matter what lengths you go to to tune your suspension.

After 6 hours in total on it so far, I am still literally in shock about how it crushes whatever is front of you. I can honestly say, my riding and track speeds and confidence have improved immediately with this thing (and my trail bike is a 170mm analog equivalent of this, it's no slouch either, so a fair comparison). Yes, the eBike needs a bit more muscle putting into your runs ... but I quite like that ..... adds to the aggression of your run :D

I'm very new to mtb and from my limited experience the thought of pedalling back up the hills on a none ebike would just kill the hobby full stop. Can go out for 3hrs riding down trails and back up, return to the van and still be relatively fresh. Actually enjoying uphill sections more than downhill. Anyone on the ebike fence get a test ride.

Last edited:
Cheers dude ... there are loads of good venues in the UK with no uplift service. I can't find enough words to describe how good it is getting back to the top without pedaling when you're at such venues. I promise, you will not regret it. On top of that, the weight and geometry of eBikes like mine handle as good as, if not better, than any DH bike I've ever owned or ridden. Off the top of my head, the bikes I'd put in this 'eBeast' category : Mine, which is a 2020 Level RR, Specialized Kenevo, Commencal MetaPower, Whyte E180 and YT Decoy. They all come in different spec levels and therefore different prices to suit different budgets.

Get one for sure ! :cool: :thumbsup:
For shore ! mates got the Whyte e180 waiting to give it a go ! Liking the sound of the Lapierre ezesty

My Whyte 901 cracked last week on the seat post, after being fobbed off because I didn't register it when it was new (I didn't even know that was a thing other than dishwashers) I've decided to go for something different, a Stanton Switchback, quite excited to get back to steel after 20 years on ally! Pics and review to follow...

20200706_210055.jpg

Back