Show Us Your Mountain Bikes :)

Nice looking bike, aside from the big black bump! :eek:
I'm not a fan of 1x but this has a motor so it's completely irrelevant!
Looks like a real MTB! :rolleyes:

Nice looking bike, aside from the big black bump! :eek:
I'm not a fan of 1x but this has a motor so it's completely irrelevant!
Looks like a real MTB! :rolleyes:
You need to try either SRAM Eagle or the new Shimano 1x12 and you will be convinced. I’ve been running Eagle XO1 for 3 years and it’s been faultless. I very occasionally spin out on fast descents, but I have it set up for long steep climbs so more than happy with the trade off. So simple, bombproof and no issues with mounting the dropper lever

Sorry, fixed it :)
Vitus E-Escarpe E-Bike (Deore 1x10) 2020 | Chain Reaction Cycles
Would appreciate any comments especially wrt Bosch vs Shimano...
Ta :thumbsup:
I have a focus jam2 with the shimano motor and the wife has a trek powerfly with the Bosch performance motor both are strong performers, the Bosch has more levels of power (4) than the focus with only three but that isn’t much of an issue.
The focus changes assistance levels with identical levers as the gear change but on the left hand side whereas the trek has a plus and minus button on the display screen to change with. I find that the former is much easier to use without having to look at the buttons and gives a much more fluid ride.
The other main difference is noise, apparently the shimano is quieter than the Bosch ( not sure I’m convinced, if it is there is not much in it) However the Bosch is silent when freewheeling but the shimano isn’t, it makes a constant rattling/clicking when freewheeling which I find quite irritating.
Regarding the 10 gears thing no issues at all getting up the steepest of hills, at the other end of the scale you sometimes feel like another couple of cogs to go faster would be nice.
Hope that helps

I have a focus jam2 with the shimano motor and the wife has a trek powerfly with the Bosch performance motor both are strong performers, the Bosch has more levels of power (4) than the focus with only three but that isn’t much of an issue.
The focus changes assistance levels with identical levers as the gear change but on the left hand side whereas the trek has a plus and minus button on the display screen to change with. I find that the former is much easier to use without having to look at the buttons and gives a much more fluid ride.
The other main difference is noise, apparently the shimano is quieter than the Bosch ( not sure I’m convinced, if it is there is not much in it) However the Bosch is silent when freewheeling but the shimano isn’t, it makes a constant rattling/clicking when freewheeling which I find quite irritating.
Regarding the 10 gears thing no issues at all getting up the steepest of hills, at the other end of the scale you sometimes feel like another couple of cogs to go faster would be nice.
Hope that helps

I'm pretty sure the rattling/clicking you're referring to is the rear hub rather than the motor. Once you're freewheeling, the motor is doing nothing.

@Phil_G Ref Shimano vs Bosch, they brought out the new Bosch motor this year so you need to check which version the bike you are looking at is running. The older one in most 2019 and earlier models was starting to get a bit dated and was very chunky compared to the Shimano. It also had a lot of drag once you got past 15.5mph which is when the assistance is removed. The new one should be a good match to the Shimano. I run the Shimano (E8000 version) in a Canyon and can't fault it. The delivery of assistance feels really natural and it's very rare that I need to use anything beyond the lowest Eco mode. Ref the comments about gearing, although the manufacturers are fitting 1x12 to some of the latest emtbs, you really don't need them due to the assistance from the motor and you'll get more life out of the stronger 1x10 chain. I'm running the SRAM EX1 1x8 gearing and find it's great for technical riding. The Vitus E-Sommet got brilliant reviews for being so nimble and feeling more like a traditional mtb (the external battery helps the balance of the bike) so the E-Escarpe is likely to be right on the money too. It has the same 29 front 27.5 rear set up as the Canyon I ride so you get the front rolling over obstacle with ease and a great big chunky 2.8 tyre on the back for digging in on the technical climbs. That looks like a great bike.

You need to try either SRAM Eagle or the new Shimano 1x12 and you will be convinced. I’ve been running Eagle XO1 for 3 years and it’s been faultless. I very occasionally spin out on fast descents, but I have it set up for long steep climbs so more than happy with the trade off. So simple, bombproof and no issues with mounting the dropper lever
I'm 99% ready to ditch my 2x10 and go 1x11...currently running sram but thinking I'll go XT

I'm 99% ready to ditch my 2x10 and go 1x11...currently running sram but thinking I'll go XT

Good luck with that mate. I rode a 1x11 MTB 2 weeks ago. I wasn't enamored with the ratios and the huge gaps you have to have.
I wanted a 1x6 TT bike back in the day but that's cos you got started, mashed it into 108 or 112 and put your brain on a box for 28mins/1hr.

I'm pretty sure the rattling/clicking you're referring to is the rear hub rather than the motor. Once you're freewheeling, the motor is doing nothing.

@Phil_G Ref Shimano vs Bosch, they brought out the new Bosch motor this year so you need to check which version the bike you are looking at is running. The older one in most 2019 and earlier models was starting to get a bit dated and was very chunky compared to the Shimano. It also had a lot of drag once you got past 15.5mph which is when the assistance is removed. The new one should be a good match to the Shimano. I run the Shimano (E8000 version) in a Canyon and can't fault it. The delivery of assistance feels really natural and it's very rare that I need to use anything beyond the lowest Eco mode. Ref the comments about gearing, although the manufacturers are fitting 1x12 to some of the latest emtbs, you really don't need them due to the assistance from the motor and you'll get more life out of the stronger 1x10 chain. I'm running the SRAM EX1 1x8 gearing and find it's great for technical riding. The Vitus E-Sommet got brilliant reviews for being so nimble and feeling more like a traditional mtb (the external battery helps the balance of the bike) so the E-Escarpe is likely to be right on the money too. It has the same 29 front 27.5 rear set up as the Canyon I ride so you get the front rolling over obstacle with ease and a great big chunky 2.8 tyre on the back for digging in on the technical climbs. That looks like a great bike.

Hi,
Re the rattling being the rear hub I did query this with the supplying dealer asking if it could be changed and they said it was a characteristic of the shimano motor and couldn’t be altered.
Have they bullsh***ed me ?

Good luck with that mate. I rode a 1x11 MTB 2 weeks ago. I wasn't enamored with the ratios and the huge gaps you have to have.
I wanted a 1x6 TT bike back in the day but that's cos you got started, mashed it into 108 or 112 and put your brain on a box for 28mins/1hr.
Bugger really! Do you know what cassette and chain ring we're on it? Maybe I need to go 1x12?

The Vitus has just shot up by £500 :speechless:
Now at £3200, thats too much... but thanks for all the comments lads :thumbsup:

Do it , you won’t go back to 2x . Unless you do a lot of tarmac miles. I ditched the granny ring many years ago . Less weight & maintenance. Still run 1x10 With a 32 t up front on my hard tail . SRAM eagle 12 sp on my best bike . Lowest gear is like an emergency cog never really use it .
Shimano boy at heart though .

Bugger really! Do you know what cassette and chain ring we're on it? Maybe I need to go 1x12?

34x 10-42. The ratio jumps were horrendous. There's a reason the only 1x pro team failed in 1 season. Couldn't keep up. You're either revving your nuts off or wishing you had a few more inches/less teeth.

34x 10-42. The ratio jumps were horrendous. There's a reason the only 1x pro team failed in 1 season. Couldn't keep up. You're either revving your nuts off or wishing you had a few more inches/less teeth.

1x Road team ?

Yeah, slightly different on an MTB. I've just realised in coming at this from the perspective of a long day out in the saddle; hills, trails, berms, road, path, track... No good for a 1x. If you're just pottering around to the shops and down the local canal path it's probably enough.
I'll get me coat.

32FE726A-EE7C-46F3-AC73-350C24DF9F37.jpeg

This is my Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 1 - Up for sale if anyone is interested. Mint. Medium £2000

Bugger me!
Yeah, slightly different on an MTB. I've just realised in coming at this from the perspective of a long day out in the saddle; hills, trails, berms, road, path, track... No good for a 1x. If you're just pottering around to the shops and down the local canal path it's probably enough.
I'll get me coat.
I don't ride on the road at all, that's got me thinking though whether I go for a 2x11. I need a new groupset anyway it's knackered now so need to decide over the next few weeks, nice Xmas job that!

Back