Show Us Your Motorbikes

Hi All

I know there are some avid bikers on here so thought I would ask the question! Doing my CBT this weekend and used to ride trials bikes as a kid but being in mid life crisis territory thought I would pick it back up!

I generally like being overpowered but also not looking to kill myself, need a bike to go out for a Sunday ride / down to the sailing club etc on. No idea what I should be looking to buy!! Any ideas / advice very welcome as tend to rush into these things. Kid in sweet shop springs to mind!

Thank you

Nick

Suzuki SV650. Popular bike for folk starting off. Know many people, including me that had one as their first. Cheap to run, forgiving (for a motorbike). Being a V twin it's plenty torque to pull you out of trouble when you select the wrong gear or are just wanting to be lazy. Proven mechanicals. Available naked or the S version has plastic. SV1000 available too if you want more grunt. Comfy enough to ride all day long and not as extreme or compact as the current range of 600cc sports bikes. Shouldn't cost much to insure either.

For me it depends on your budget and how long you will ride it.

I could ride my BMW1200gs all day across europe but my Ducati or RnineT I can only ride for an hour before needing to get off.

I also ride trials and you get used to the low down torque. I would go for a V-twin bike for the torque rather than a high reving bandit. Either way, you'll soon want more power etc...

Good luck

Been in a similar position. I used to do trials on a montessa years ago. Like most of us the biking urge comes back with a vengeance around 50. I got a Honda vfr 800 (V4 engine). It's so smooth and when you rev beyond 7k the VTEC kicks in and it pulls like a train. Also because it's classified as a sports tourer the insurance is a bit easier on the pocket.
On the down side, after a couple of hours on it my back does start to ache a bit. The Mrs loves being pillion.
They seem to hold their price well too.
Good luck. Let us know what you get.

Back