Show Us Your Awning Setup.

This is a photo of our first trip with our Khyam Motordome Tourer - we went to Normans Bay on the south coast:

Khyam1.jpg

I don't think we got it up quite right, but it had already withstood some strong winds of 20mph and gusting higher when the photo was taken.

Easy enough to put up and take down (and it just about went back into the bag) and space wise it's great for the 2 of us and the dog.

can something like the Vango Galli be connected to a caravelle without any roofbars or awning already on the van?
Or are there any makes that cater for this?

Yes it can, there are some straps you can throw over the top, there's also a magnetic rail and as above the gutter C mount (nasty looking thing) but for a small outlay and an hours work the Reimo multi rail works better.

2018-05-06 09.48.09.jpg

Oh and you can use the Galli without even attaching it to the van, just zip up the side entrance and use it as a tent.

My wife is taking the Galli in a couple of weeks time, she won't drive my van so she's sticking it in her boot and taking it in her car instead and using it as a standalone tent.

ok thanks - just trying to avoid screwing anything into my roof given the nightmare's people have had with leaking roofs after fitting roofbars

ok thanks - just trying to avoid screwing anything into my roof given the nightmare's people have had with leaking roofs after fitting roofbars

That's why I'd avoid the gutter C bar, although many have fitted them without issue. There's a few decent videos on YouTube of people fitting multi rails, they won't leak if you follow the video and use Silkaflex.

Because of the way my pop top (Low Life Stealth) fits into the gutter channel, I've had to make something similar to attach the awning. 2.5 metre length of aluminium angle bar with some C channel fixed to the vertical face. It's held down with 3 of the original roof gutter bolts. Used the original rubber washers and plenty PTFE tape on the bolt threads to ensure it's water tight. Cost about 30 quid to make.

Just packed mine in to the van for Bank Holiday w/e getaway - it's compact, plus no air pump etc so frees up space. I took a punt, for us it will be just a weekend tent, but its reads well and at that price seems excellent - I'll report back - hopefully with a glowing report :)
Any update on this? That's the sort of size we were looking for and the price is great. Love to hear how you get on with it. We were looking at the Galli II compact, but this is a third of the price (which means more money for other van bits!)

Would be interested to see what you think of it, I too have a Vango, great bit of kit but a faff to put up and down

Hey @ahappychappie - have you used the Cubo yet? Care to share your thoughts?

Very sorry for the delayed response...

Initial impressions:

- I expected light and flimsy poles - they're nice and sturdy.
- Easy to put up - however although connected to the Fiamma awning we couldn't get the drive away bit flush to the van - I think this is due to never having tried before - just seen the Vango Galli Youtube video and think you need to follow the same method.
- It's a reasonable size - for us literally a weekend tent where we dump lots of things - it works for that!
- There was a really heavy dew that morning and I noticed a little water in one corner of the tent - nothing massive but had something been there it wouldn't have been good - not sure if other tents do the same under heavy dew?

All in all - for £150 I give it a thumbs up, but that's based on one weekend and no rain, so difficult to properly assess. The big bonus is its compactness.

Just had a week away using Vango Galli - you can tell the quality difference - but paid 4 times more so would expect exactly that...

Hope this helps...

Thanks for that update @ahappychappie - much appreciated.

That's a bit worrying with the dew being enough to get in. We'd only be using it for eating, storage, lounging about etc, but I'd worry what it would be like in heavy rain if dew was a problem.

Back