Show Us Your Awning Setup.

Some of the best Real Van Campers are in Oz look at their Oz Tent structures & wild camping & when I’ve been there or Germany it is really somewhere special, & different

Looks like the full size Galli to me.

Compact is only just over 3m long and only has two window panels down the side.
My bad. It is indeed the full fat galli.
It’s all great when it’s up and dry. Just trying to dry it out now after putting it down in a hurry. No fun at all

My bad. It is indeed the full fat galli.
It’s all great when it’s up and dry. Just trying to dry it out now after putting it down in a hurry. No fun at all
What we do with our Kela when wet and no chance of drying outside is partially inflate the tubes and leave it in our conservatory for a few days - room is not big enough to fully erect the awning but this method seems to work well.

What we do with our Kela when wet and no chance of drying outside is partially inflate the tubes and leave it in our conservatory for a few days - room is not big enough to fully erect the awning but this method seems to work well.
Good idea. I’ve seen a picture somewhere in here with one in a conservatory, assume that’s yours? Ur missis must be very forgiving!!

At moment just have the Kiravan sail canopy. Works well in winds as you can lower down around edges to scoop wind over the van. Sometimes use it with a simple windbreaker.

Not got round to a full awning yet. All your posts make for interesting reading...

IMG_20180412_125431_01.jpg

Great idea Ed.

We currently have 3 options:-

Fiamma F45S - this is our default and the awning we use the most, especially for 1 or 2 night stopovers, which most of our camps tend to be. It's main advantage is instant shelter over the sliding door and a nice shaded and/or dry area to sit and/or cook under for the 3 of us. It doesn't matter if you put it away wet as it will sort itself out next time you use it. Whatever the weather we peg the legs down and also use a tie down kit in all but the lightest of breezes. Even with the tie down kit, I am a bit nervous about using in winds above, say, 15 mph, especially if there are gusts much above this predicted and will never leave it out and/or unattended in strong winds. This is the only picture of ours in use that I can find ("cables" around the legs are Jo's obligatory lights):-
View attachment 19992

Vango Kela III - we use this for any stays of more than a couple of nights when it is just the 3 of us camping and/or we need a drier outside space. It's ample for 3 of us plus the dogs but we have had 5 comfortably taking shelter in there before. It's easy to put up, especially when connecting via the Fiamma as this makes tensioning the tunnel a lot easier and also helps avoid snagging the fabric when opening the sliding door (holds the top of the awning further away from the van than other connection methods allow). I like it but if buying an equivalent now and/or replacing with something new, I think I would be looking at the Gali II Compact or Airhub Hexaway (see below). Again, I only have limited pictures of our Kela in use - these are from Bala last May - the awning is not perfectly pitched as a result of the large crater we are pitched over but it still did the job:-
View attachment 19994View attachment 19995

Vango Airhub Hex - We now use this when going away with groups of people, usually with the Fiamma providing a bridge to the van. At the time of purchase it was a toss up between this and something like a Coleman Event Shelter. It's a similar overall size to the Kella (and smaller event shelters) but the design does give us a lot more useable space to shelter more people. We also use it as a BBQ gazebo at home. If buying again I would be looking at the the new Vango Airhub Hexaway, in fact I am tempted to swap both of my current Vangos for one of these but can't currently justify it. My only criticism is the webbing straps across the bottom used to hold the shape (there is a clip in groundsheet that covers them) - when these get wet they take much longer than the rest of the awing to dry out and, unlike a sewn in ground sheet which you can just dry off with some kitchen towel, you have to let these dry out naturally to avoid getting everything else wet when packing away. First picture is set up at home, the other is in use at Busfest last year (@Mick and the lovely Ed to the right of the photo):-

View attachment 19996 View attachment 19997
I've just bought a sheltapod which I am trying out this weekend.

Hi,

Pictures to come - I haven't actually seen this in person - I've ordered based on research - Youtube videos etc!! Assuming all is good, the following might help some one - for the price paid it seems an excellent deal...

Background... We recently purchased a Vango Galli Low - not yet used but have high hopes for it. Only 'issue' was its size - packaged a lot bigger than we expected but have kept with it as for long break we will want a decent size awning.

So for weekend trips we've purchased an OlPro Cubo (poled) - it's 3m x 3m so gives fair space, HH is 5000 so should withstand the rain well - has fly screens, windows that can be opened etc. Has just 2 poles so hopefully very quick to put up - used to a steel frame tent so slightly concerned but it is just a weekend tent...

There is a new 2018 model - there is a short Youtube video out there giving you an overview - it's taken from this year's CCC show at the NEC.

Price is normally £199 - currently on offer @ £169 - but if add discount code 'NEW10' it knocks another 10% off making it £152.10 (P&P inc) which seems a great price. I ordered Monday and it came today - size is great - just throw it in the van. I'm totally in no way connected to OlPro - Drive Away awnings are pretty expensive, this just seemed a great deal.

THE CUBO CAMPER VAN AWNING

Thanks.

Hi,

Pictures to come - I haven't actually seen this in person - I've ordered based on research - Youtube videos etc!! Assuming all is good, the following might help some one - for the price paid it seems an excellent deal...

Background... We recently purchased a Vango Galli Low - not yet used but have high hopes for it. Only 'issue' was its size - packaged a lot bigger than we expected but have kept with it as for long break we will want a decent size awning.

So for weekend trips we've purchased an OlPro Cubo (poled) - it's 3m x 3m so gives fair space, HH is 5000 so should withstand the rain well - has fly screens, windows that can be opened etc. Has just 2 poles so hopefully very quick to put up - used to a steel frame tent so slightly concerned but it is just a weekend tent...

There is a new 2018 model - there is a short Youtube video out there giving you an overview - it's taken from this year's CCC show at the NEC.

Price is normally £199 - currently on offer @ £169 - but if add discount code 'NEW10' it knocks another 10% off making it £152.10 (P&P inc) which seems a great price. I ordered Monday and it came today - size is great - just throw it in the van. I'm totally in no way connected to OlPro - Drive Away awnings are pretty expensive, this just seemed a great deal.

Thanks.
Would be interested to see what you think of it, I too have a Vango, great bit of kit but a faff to put up and down

Hi,

Thanks.

Thanks for posting i’ve checked out the cubo and have placed an order, i nearly went for the outdoor revolution movelite, but this has much better features like a sewn in ground sheet. Fingers crossed its a good awning !

Thanks for posting i’ve checked out the cubo and have placed an order, i nearly went for the outdoor revolution movelite, but this has much better features like a sewn in ground sheet. Fingers crossed its a good awning !
For the price it has to be worth a punt.

Just packed mine in to the van for Bank Holiday w/e getaway - it's compact, plus no air pump etc so frees up space. I took a punt, for us it will be just a weekend tent, but its reads well and at that price seems excellent - I'll report back - hopefully with a glowing report :)

can something like the Vango Galli be connected to a caravelle without any roofbars or awning already on the van?
Or are there any makes that cater for this?

Back