Show Us Your Awning Setup.

What has everyone done to stop the awning marking the van where it touches the sides?

I have a Vango Hexaway and the first time I used it it left a few small scratches.

My plan is to use some vinyl temporarily whilst camping or try low tack tape.

Any other suggestions?
I think I the trick is to get the tunnel as tight as possible so that it does not touch the sides of the van - easier if you are attaching via a Fiamma type awning as the attachment is further out from the van.

Phil, Have you used your travel pod trip yet, i would appreciate some feedback, Thanks Richard
Hi Richard yes I've used it 4 times so far, its easy to put up, the hardest part is judging the distance to place the base from the van.
I watched the video a couple of times to get it right. Since then I've had a Fiamma fitted so will only be using it for longer stays.
I find it very hard to squish back into the bag - the video makes it look so easy!
Cheers
Phil

Not a great pic but here is my Vango Hexaway in the background. Used twice now. Easy to erect once I'd worked out how to connect to c channel. Large and spacious. Feels good quality.

On the downside, packs down large and heavy. Tunnel is too narrow to use as main entrance without risking one of the kids scratching the van with whatever they may be carrying. Would prefer a sewn in ground sheet.

IMG_20190420_091317.jpg

Looking at the Hexway
The separate ground sheet is a negative point for us as well

Andy

They say the attachable ground sheet is a + point - would you ever use it without? Finger on the button for 2018 or 2019 but still deciding.

They say the attachable ground sheet is a + point - would you ever use it without? Finger on the button for 2018 or 2019 but still deciding.
All depends on the purpose. For example, I have a Khyam Dub Hub which has a removable ground sheet. We were originally a bit concerned that this was the case. However, this past weekend we were camping at a sailing club where we are not pitched on grass, but hardcore. Had we had the sewn in groundsheet it would have been torn to shreds. Instead we used a hard wearing fabric groundsheet from aldi in the living area, with the addition of foam tiles under the sleeping area and it’s own clip in groundsheet on top of those.
So for us a removable ground sheet is perfect, as we are rarely on grass.

Another advantage of the removable groundsheet is that some sites have "only eco (porous) groundsheets allowed" rules and/or insist on you moving pitches after a few days to protect the grass if you have sewn in groundsheets. For info, we have the Hexhub (same as Hexaway without the tunnel) and, as per @DaveyB comment, we use both with and without the groundsheet - one thing to be aware of though is that, without the groundsheet clipped in, the webbing straps that run between opposite corners do become a bit of a trip hazard.

Good points

But reason I would like sewn in ground sheet is to keep dogs in
Possibly a small disadvantage

But sewn in you know there safe

Andy

Good points

But reason I would like sewn in ground sheet is to keep dogs in
Possibly a small disadvantage

But sewn in you know there safe

Andy
I tied my pooch to the long flat line from a ratchet strap (minus the ratchet) with the other end looped around the side bar of the van. Gave him free trot of the awning but meant he couldn’t get out. I’d do that whether or not we had sewn in groundsheet because the silly big sod would knock you out of the way and make a run for it when you unzipped the door.

Like it but it’s the ground sheet situation

Have two Kampa awnings it the Vango is better in my opinion
Kampa are doing the cross air we’re you can did an Annex on

47CCA3C3-6880-42E8-A6A9-B5B0AA2E582E.jpeg

Got a talk Galli 2 Vango as a left over from our previous motohome which was a big un. Worried about the waste of money , we persevered on the t6 and the awning can be fitted easily using a bit of black elastic threaded through the seam by the awning strip. Hey presto! Quick on and off and nice and tight. Only use it for long stays though

F07AB98C-0BDC-4B44-8732-72510C674C1D.jpeg

F7A39B51-C45D-457B-8DCB-7CFD674921C0.jpeg

Has anyone got any recommendations for a tailgate awning - ideally something that just goes over an open tailgate but you can sleep in

Back