Show Us Your Awning Setup.

Debating between a hexaway and Galli II
We have been debating getting a Hexaway to replace our Kela 3 but having seen them have decided against (we already have the Hexhub Gazebo which the hexaway is based on):

The tunnel seems too narrow, meaning we would lose some storage space compared to what we have but our biggest concern is that what we see as the main design issue of the hexhub is still there; the webbing straps that hold the shape, together with the base of the poles where any water/condensation pools, take forever to dry when they get wet.

If buying now I thing the Galli II Compact would be top of the list.

We have been debating getting a Hexaway to replace our Kela 3 but having seen them have decided against (we already have the Hexhub Gazebo which the hexaway is based on):

The tunnel seems too narrow, meaning we would lose some storage space compared to what we have but our biggest concern is that what we see as the main design issue of the hexhub is still there; the webbing straps that hold the shape, together with the base of the poles where any water/condensation pools, take forever to dry when they get wet.

If buying now I thing the Galli II Compact would be top of the list.
Drink some.more gin and you'll find you don't need so much storage..

Used the Kampa Travel Pod for the first time this weekend at Elvington, easy enough to pitch, I need to judge the distance from the van better, but one shortcoming that seems obvious to me is that its a LHD model, the side door is at the rear! I can live with it as its only a small awning so its no problem to use the larger end door, but not quite what I expected. The clip-in groundsheet idea works well but of course isnt as beetle-proof as a sewn-in, huge things they were, and also some sort of field mouse ran from under the groundsheet as I was packing away!

IMG_20180811_143702.jpg

IMG_20180812_203802.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a twin slider so we can put an awning one side and sunshade the other.
Original Kela Airbeam one side with a Kiravans Sail on the other. It's taken a little trial and error with the sail but I've finally nailed a set up that works for me and is rock solid on the van and not flappy about. It meant adding another pole.
IMG_6301.jpg

IMG_6303.jpg

IMG_6306.jpg

IMG_6308.jpg

View attachment 29095Tried out the shelter pod this week and must admit I'm very impressed
Like having the cover from the van to the awning
But also like not having the side of the connecting tunnel restricting the view
One word of 'advice' - put a bit of bungee elastic from the top of the poles (there are a couple of eyelets) and around the pin on the top of the pole to trap the canopy fabric.

We had a situation where the canopy lifted slight in a breeze, freeing the pole that then fell against the van - resulting in a scratch on the van :-(.

One word of 'advice' - put a bit of bungee elastic from the top of the poles (there are a couple of eyelets) and around the pin on the top of the pole to trap the canopy fabric.

We had a situation where the canopy lifted slight in a breeze, freeing the pole that then fell against the van - resulting in a scratch on the van :-(.

Did it flip off the guy line as well
Or
Did you not have guy lines on it
Ta

In the market for a simple air inflatable drive away awning for clobber and mutt overnight.

Anyone had experience of the Decathlon Air Seconds Base XL? Seems good value and versatile - fits tail or side. Just missed one on Gumtree for £100 but not mega expensive new and no quibble returns.

As ever reviews range from fantastic to cr@p. Criticism seems to focus on flimsy side door zip and no base closure of side zipped panels for van or opposite awning panel.

35 - Hiking - Air Seconds Base XL Inflatable Camping Shelter

Thanks

Back