Show us your 17s

Im running Solow - potentially selling my duchy banded and buying fuel zephyr 17s with (tyre choice to be confirmed) basically they recommend 225/55s however can't find any load rated tyres in that , so just wondering if I can fit the 235/55s in there.... HMM!

Really pleased Much less road noise than I expected.
Just seen your separate write up on them. I went for the BFG tyres as have had them before, and suit my needs. But have seen a few vans with the Coopers fitted and they do look a very good alternative. Thanks again.

A lot of people seem to be using spacers. They are illegal in Australia. Are they really required?

A lot of people seem to be using spacers. They are illegal in Australia. Are they really required?
I’m not a fan of spacers, some do it for looks & others do it to avoid rubbing with v wide tyres / big wheels. Rules in Aus seem a lot stricter - read a few stories about the 70 series & rear track is narrower but you cannot just put spacers on to correct it in Aus.

I’m not a fan of spacers, some do it for looks & others do it to avoid rubbing with v wide tyres / big wheels. Rules in Aus seem a lot stricter - read a few stories about the 70 series & rear track is narrower but you cannot just put spacers on to correct it in Aus.
Thanks
Nah mate gotta rip whole rear end out to do it legally

Thanks
Nah mate gotta rip whole rear end out to do it legally
Hi @av3nger and welcome to the forum.
Would it be allowable in Aus to fit wheels with a different ET offset to ‘move’ the tyre in or out slightly instead of using spacers?

I appreciate this thread is for 17” wheels, and only asking, as when I fitted my ‘guaranteed-to-fit’ 19x9s with ET50 and 275 40R19 tyres I found the fronts gently rubbed the plastic arch liners on full lock. On checking VWCV UK’s website I found they offer 20x9s with ET45 and 275 35R20s.
So, to try ‘match’ the offset, I have 5mm spacers with longer wheel bolts.
If I’d known previously I would’ve looked for ET50 wheels.
Andy

Hi @av3nger and welcome to the forum.
Would it be allowable in Aus to fit wheels with a different ET offset to ‘move’ the tyre in or out slightly instead of using spacers?

I appreciate this thread is for 17” wheels, and only asking, as when I fitted my ‘guaranteed-to-fit’ 19x9s with ET50 and 275 40R19 tyres I found the fronts gently rubbed the plastic arch liners on full lock. On checking VWCV UK’s website I found they offer 20x9s with ET45 and 275 35R20s.
So, to try ‘match’ the offset, I have 5mm spacers with longer wheel bolts.
If I’d known previously I would’ve looked for ET50 wheels.
Andy
Hi Andy
I'm not an expert for Aus law but..
Different offset wheels are OK, provided the wheels do not protrude past the side of the car. You can get wheel guards to increase this limit.

But spacers are not legal. Even though the effect is the same as bigger offset. However, I do understand where the law is coming from,
- spacers not installed correctly could be very dangerous and then leads to changing things such as stud lengths etc.

Finally got my tomahawk Katos, after ordering them in august last year and being messed around by a shoddy outfit. Got the credit card company involved and got a refund through them.. re ordered elsewhere last week, and they arrived yesterday.

Decided to try a different tyre than the usual BFG, I’ve had those before and whilst fine, i wanted something else.
So I went with some Falken Wildpeak at3 in 245/65/17. Must say.. I think they look awesome!

Van is on standard suspension, so they fill out the arches Nicely.
View attachment 186702
View attachment 186703
View attachment 186704
Really like the look of these. Think Im going to go the same way, my tyre man recommends the Falkens- I've been running Falken winter tyres on my Devonports which have been superb (3 weeks in Austrian snow testimony to that).

Have you had any issues with the change of diameter of the wheels compared to standard? Presume Cruise control works fine?

Really like the look of these. Think Im going to go the same way, my tyre man recommends the Falkens- I've been running Falken winter tyres on my Devonports which have been superb (3 weeks in Austrian snow testimony to that).

Have you had any issues with the change of diameter of the wheels compared to standard? Presume Cruise control works fine?
I haven’t used cruise tbh. No other issues though. It made the Speedo more accurate up to 60mph, where after that it reads about 1mph too slow.
Did 250 miles around wales this weekend with no drama. Had an emergency stop on a blind bend on a mountain road and a bit of unplanned off roading on a steep wet slate track with hairpin bends and a washout causing about 30 degree angle.. did it all fine.

Back