Shell V Power diesel

Oldrat

Senior Crafter
T6 Legend
A year back, I was touring Spain in my (then) T6 camper.
It developed anEGR fault that was splendidly dealt with under warranty by aN excellent Spanish VW dealer.
The unofficial advice from the tech was
“Don’t ever use cheap fuel, and that I should try to always use Shell V power diesel As was the best fuel available.“
Yes, I’d been using cheap supermarket fuel, but not now, I always try for Shell V power now.

Scroll forward to today, I came across this vid from Martin at Pendle Performance, arguing exactly the same thing “Just use Shell V-Power, why would you use any old sh7te in your PnJ Eh!

You have been warned

I used to run VPower in my Impreza WRX. It made a noticeable difference to performance and better MPG (slightly)!

To be honest Iv run all vehicles on supermarket fuel and never have had problems. Had my previous t6 on 35k before I sold it and my current MY18 on 40k and not a problem all only ever been on Tesco fuel. Don’t even add fuel additives. Always have regular service tho

Reactions: .50
This is a debate that will go on and on. I only try and use v power as I've done this for years and never had any issues on numerous cars. Puts my mind a ease so happy to pay the extra.

Only ever use Tesco Derv - so i can collect the points/beer tokens

3x vans from 2008-2020 and never had any noticeable issues.

remember all diesel sold in the Uk must conform to BS EN590

have a look at the requirements : BS EN590 Standard for Diesel Fuel

On the flip side Premium Derv has all the additives etc . . . . . so i get it. But i just go for the cheaper option.

EN590 looks beyond water content
As the table below shows, EN590’s requirements include the blending of up to 7% Fatty Acid Methyl Ester (FAME) biodiesel with conventional petrochemical diesel. A PDF version of this table is available in the page’s download area.

PropertyUnitLower limitUpper limitTest Method
Cetane number51.0EN ISO 5165
Cetane index46.0EN ISO 4264
Density @ 15°Ckg/m3820845EN ISO 3675, EN ISO 12185
Viscosity at 40°Cmm2/s2.04.5EN ISO 3104
Sulphur contentmg/kg10.0EN ISO 20846, EN ISO 20847, EN ISO 2088
Flash pointoCAbove 55EN ISO 2719
Carbon residue% m/m0.30EN ISO 10370
Ash content% m/m0.01EN ISO 6245
Water contentmg/kg200EN ISO 12937
Total contaminationmg/kg24EN ISO 12662
Fatty Acid Methyl Ester (FAME) (biodiesel) content% v/v7EN 14078
Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons% m/m11 (8)EN ISO 12916
Copper strip corrosion (3 hours at 50°C)indexClass 1Class 1EN ISO 2160
Lubricity, corrected wear scar diameter (wsd 1.4) at 60°Cμm460EN ISO 12156-1
Oxidation Stabilityg/m325EN ISO 12205
Oxidation Stabilityh20EN 15751
Distillation recovered at 250 °C, 350 °C% v/v85< 65EN ISO 3405
95%(V/V) recovered at°C360
Cold Filter Plugging Point (winter)°C-15
Cold Filter Plugging Point (summer)°C-5
Manganese contentmg/l2.0EN 16576
Filter blocking tendency2.52IP 387, procedure B

BS EN590 Standard for Diesel Fuel

Last edited:
EN590 is a minimum standard, better quality fuel will be closer to the optimum end of the upper and lower limits and perform and protect your engine better.

The limits are also averages so a given tankful of fuel can be over or under the limits providing that the average fuel out of any facility meets the targets, a good example is the Bio Diesel content which will be at the 7% in everything but is likely to be at 0% in premium fuels as its good for the environment but it’s not the best fuel.

The EN590 spec document above is only a snapshot of the full EN590 document which runs to many pages.

It developed anEGR fault that was splendidly dealt with under warranty by aN excellent Spanish VW dealer.
“Don’t ever use cheap fuel, and that I should try to always use Shell V power diesel As was the best fuel available.“
Yes, I’d been using cheap supermarket fuel, but not now, I always try for Shell V power now.

Scroll forward to today, I came across this vid from Martin at Pendle Performance, arguing exactly the same thing “Just use Shell V-Power, why would you use any old sh7te in your PnJ Eh!

You have been warned

Straight talking no bullshit bloke that Martin.... fair play to him! :thumbsup:

It’s a commercial vehicle not a Ferrari, it will run on EN590, never had an issue and always use the cheapest.

It developed an EGR fault that was splendidly dealt with under warranty by aN excellent Spanish VW dealer.

You have been warned

Never a more true word said :thumbsup:

I tried running the van on Costco diesel as it was much cheaper than the shell I normally used.. After a few weeks I gave up the regen’s increased dramatically and killed the mpg in the end.. probably cost more if you did the maths!
Back on Shell now :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I worked it out to be cheaper per mile when I used V-Power on my golf. I use ENI fuel whilst I'm in Italy as I get it tax free but when we're out of Italy I always use V-Power.

I also think that servicing your engine at least every 10k miles, if not more often is just as important. I am not a fan of long life servicing.

Shell V-Power in the Porsche, Shell fuel save in the van

Happy with the performance of both for their respective purpose / vehicles.

Mine has a REVO map and it does run better on Premium diesel.
I don't have Shell garages near me so I use either Esso or BP premium fuels and it does seem to run better on Esso.
For the relative extra cost it is a no-brainer for me.

Back