Has anybody decided that paying extra for a branded fuel is saving money in spite of the extra cost?

I have had my 2017 T6 trendline (150 bhp?) For just over 2 years and 11000miles ( thanks, covid!).

I have always filled up at Morrisons, can't recall anywhere else.
I know 'they' say to use a branded fuel every so often to 'clean things out'.
I last refilled with Shells 'economic' diesel ( not Vpower but something equally catchy.

I have done three motorway runs of 60 to 100 miles since, nothing else, but it seems as if I am getting better economy.
Difficult to gauge it, but maybe an extra 3-4 mpg at a steady 57-60mph or 90 km/hr.

Has anybody decided that paying extra for a branded fuel is saving money in spite of the extra cost?

Now you’ve opened a can of worms, there are many different threads on the Forum and many different opinions, have a search on ‘fuel consumption’.
Right foot and wind direction / wind speed makes the biggest difference. You’re driving a brick.

just shear pulling power i have had diesel vans in the past that slow down going up motorway hills and Slopes.. having to change gear.. on cheap supermarket fuel

a local supermarket petrol gave my 2 cars misfires and lumpy running

i always run premium fuel now constant power definably less throttle .... a tiny price to pay per fill up even for a tiny amount of extra performance

My Whinge is why don't they sell top grade , cleaner burning, engine kinder, less carbon build up fuel to start with ... top performance shouldn't all fuel

be like that already set for peak performance for what we pay for it...... and not be charged extra for the privilege to use it .........

I work on an oil refinery and I made enquiries regarding Shell V-Power when I first got my van, I was told 'Shell don't produce fuels in this country anymore, where do you think V-Power comes from?'

Basically the majority of fuels in my area originate at my place of work, if you fill at Shell, BP, Asda, Tesco, as we are the nearest refinery we'll supply the majority of forecourts. There is a small additive tank where the tankers load up, if Shell request V-Power diesel or gasoline, a small amount of additive is added to the standard fuel, which I was told isn't worth the extra cost.

I work on an oil refinery and I made enquiries regarding Shell V-Power when I first got my van, I was told 'Shell don't produce fuels in this country anymore, where do you think V-Power comes from?'

Basically the majority of fuels in my area originate at my place of work, if you fill at Shell, BP, Asda, Tesco, as we are the nearest refinery we'll supply the majority of forecourts. There is a small additive tank where the tankers load up, if Shell request V-Power diesel or gasoline, a small amount of additive is added to the standard fuel, which I was told isn't worth the extra cost.

Top intel! Presumably cheaper to stick in additive yourself, millers or whatever.

I know a taker driver who told me that same thing. Especially if it's the 'normal' fuel then all the takers line up under the same filler and take it to the relevant place. He told me as well that often supermarket fuel is the nest as they have the fastest turnover and so less of the most volatile parts are lost.

Now you’ve opened a can of worms, there are many different threads on the Forum and many different opinions, have a search on ‘fuel consumption’.
Right foot and wind direction / wind speed makes the biggest difference. You’re driving a brick.
I stick to 57 to 60mph ( van with windows
I stick to 57 to 60 (van with windows). If I stay 3 to 4 seconds behind lorries, without much non- motorway, accelerating a bit before uphills, on a long journey I can average just under 60mpg. Recently, I have managed just over 60mpg.

Snake oil it seems, what a surprise. Best fill up from a supermarket on the top of a hill, less chance of having water in the storage tank:rolleyes:

Petrol is usually higher octane if it's the premium version and I think this will produce actual, measurable differences. But with diesel if the only difference is the magic additives then I guess it could be debated forever what the long term benefits might be but it's hard to imagine there would be any immediate, appreciable difference.

Reactions: DXX
if you do a regular route fill half a tank with normal and check your throttle position on the journey see how it pulls up hill see if you need to throttle to the floor to maintain a speed on a motorway over the half a tank

then do the same with premium.... plus if its running a little rich the engine runs a little cooler

Tesco Sidcup Kent was notorious for water in the tanks .... water might of been used to top up levels to make the books balance who knows .. 2 cars 2 fill ups in same week both ran bad and cutting out

and always get and check your receipt in a garage they double charge for items when they know you don't want a receipt especially if they ask early while they checking your items out.........

I have had my 2017 T6 trendline (150 bhp?) For just over 2 years and 11000miles ( thanks, covid!).

I have always filled up at Morrisons, can't recall anywhere else.
I know 'they' say to use a branded fuel every so often to 'clean things out'.
I last refilled with Shells 'economic' diesel ( not Vpower but something equally catchy.

I have done three motorway runs of 60 to 100 miles since, nothing else, but it seems as if I am getting better economy.
Difficult to gauge it, but maybe an extra 3-4 mpg at a steady 57-60mph or 90 km/hr.

I used to consistently get better MPG from my A6 on Shell (standard) diesel. Much better than supermarket fuel. I kept a log of every fill up over 85k miles.

Last edited:
I used the consistently get better MPG from my A6 on Shell (standard) diesel. Much better than supermarket fuel. I kept a log of every fill up over 85k miles.
Shell here too, don't bother with anything else unless it's an emergency! Tried the Costco stuff back when it was cheap and the regens frequency went up noticeably!

I only use V-Power in the van but I did notice a marked drop in mpg on the few occasions that I put BP diesel in the Smart ForTwo that I use to drive to work.

Tesco Budget cheap stuff :

Reactions: DXX
Just to add…. Use Esso and for the last 6 moths used this as well……engine feels like is was 3 years ago .. New..

Archoil AR6900-D Max Advanced Diesel Fuel Synthesis

worked out it’s cheaper to use than paying for diesel + fuel :)

I’ve thought recently about these additives as I tend to use Shell V power which is 14p per litre more than their normal diesel so prob 20p more than supermarket fuel.

Archoil is £17 on ebay for 500ml will treat 500L of fuel (1:1000 mix ratio).

500L V power costs £70 more than standard Shell. £100 more than supermarket fuel so net saving of £53 / £83 on 500L of fuel.

Just to add…. Use Esso and for the last 6 moths used this as well……engine feels like is was 3 years ago .. New..

Archoil AR6900-D Max Advanced Diesel Fuel Synthesis

worked out it’s cheaper to use than paying for diesel + fuel :)
What made you decide to use this - most of the reviews are via the makers website?

What made you decide to use this - most of the reviews are via the makers website?
Sorry not to get back sooner….Simply answer don’t trust reviews but do believe if half of the claims are good …then give it a try …if no different only wasted a few Quid … but it seems to work :thumbsup:

Back