Service And A Possible Problem ‘hydraulic Tappets’

Mine is more of a very quick ticking... if I dip the clutch you can hear the ticking slowing down and then the sound goes... as soon as I put into gear and let the clutch out it comes back.... seems loudest in low gears.... I have had it back to the garage a few times and they say they can’t hear anything..... I get the feeling they are biding their time until my warranty runs out....

Stay frosty, that’s what it sounds like and it does go when the clutch is in.

Any advice on fixing it? Is it covered under warranty? My van is 30 months old with 80000 miles.

You need to talk to the big kids on the forum like Pauly regarding possible warranty claims... sooner rather than later with only 6 months left.

Another sign with a duff DMF is if the clutch feels juddery when pulling away.

Mine has made the ticking noise when starting up cold from new. It’s a Euro 5 140 and has started to judder when pulling away when hot . Dealer said I will need to agree to paying for work if not covered under warranty when gearbox taken out . It only done 40000 miles and never towed or carried anything like the max load of a t32. The VW warranty doesn’t look to good to me as this is my first vw and now my last . Has anybody had the flywheel and clutch changed under warranty at this mileage. I’ve not had this sort of trouble with other make of van so not sure if they would of fixed it for free .

Quick update.

It was the DMF. Fixed under warranty today and returned back sounding and driving a lot better. Paid for a new clutch but thought it was worthwhile given the mileage.

Thanks for everyone’s help!

what engine . . . . ?

the tappets are hydraulic on these and use engine oil pressure to "pump up" and close the gap after the first few seconds after starting. (old engines used manual adjustments)

slight noise is normal on a first start after the oil has mostly drained back down to the sump.

tappets can become worn eventually and may require replacing . . . .

if the tapping sound goes away after starting and a touch on the throttle to raise the oil pressure then i doubt you need new tappets.

most important thing is to check you have good oil to the required marking on the dipstick, and do regular oil & filter changes as required. yearly/ by miles or longlife.

note the OEM statement below: Irregular valve noise during starting is normal.

View attachment 25359
@Dellmassive our T6 has been with a garage for a week now and we're desperately scanning the forums for help. I saw your post here and several others that are pointing to tappets. This is a clip of the noise
which is there all the time, hot and cold, idle or fast. Cambelt tensions, EGR and injectors replaced, but it still won't budge! It gets faster with the engine. Do you think your advice above is in anyway related to this ticking noise?

@Dellmassive our T6 has been with a garage for a week now and we're desperately scanning the forums for help. I saw your post here and several others that are pointing to tappets. This is a clip of the noise
which is there all the time, hot and cold, idle or fast. Cambelt tensions, EGR and injectors replaced, but it still won't budge! It gets faster with the engine. Do you think your advice above is in anyway related to this ticking noise?

BUMP for this. That trebly rapid ticking noise - I think I'm hearing this on my manual 102 5 speed, Euro 6, 66 plate. No dash indications, no apparent loss in performance.
There seems to be a long list of possible causes which get investigated, and paid for, but the actual culprit doesn't appear too obvious to me looking through the forum. Such a distinctive noise would have had a distinct source, I hope....

There is a split EGR pipe on the engine in the video, see soot on pipe and splattered over the coolant expansion tank.

booked my T6 in for its first major service next week - they told me it will cost £375 inc parts and labour.
I get a tapping sound when i start the vehicle from cold- someone on this foru said they had a unilateral thing and it was the tappers in which his garage fixed. I mentioned to my garage that i had this tapping sound which could be my tappets and i would like them to check it out as it’s still under warranty they said
I will add the issue with the tappets to the booking under warranty although I cannot guarantee this will be covered by the warranty without our technicians seeing the vehicle. If this issue is not covered by warranty and you would like it investigating there will be a diagnostic fee of £120. on top of £375
I have exactly the same symptoms as you, i know this an old thread, but did you get it resolved??

Back