Securing my spare wheel

From my post on the other thread…

17" wheel now on the carrier. I hade to drop the carrier down to it's lowest setting. I then bought 2 x security bolts, each one having different setting on their sockets for removal. I also bought a security shroud to put one of the security bolts through. I tightened everything up so that the wheel was snug but the tyre wall was not compressed. I then measured the distance of the thread showing on the security bolt, removed the bolts, cut 2 sections of stainless steel pipe to the measurements of the showing thread of the security bolts. I then greased the threads and re- fitted the security bolts, pushing them through the stainless pipe section, ratcheting them up into the carrier until the heads were solid up against the carrier and the sections pipe were compressed tight. I live in hope that the visual appearance of the shroud which is bright red, the 2 sections of pipe preventing access to the threads and the bolts each needing there own individual socket to undo them. A person can only do so much and I realise that given enough time and opportunity my spare wheel carrier with never be 'Scrote Proof'.

20220507_174225.jpg

20220507_174418.jpg

20220507_174400.jpg

20220507_174335.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
17" wheel now on the carrier. I hade to drop the carrier down to it's lowest setting. I then bought 2 x security bolts, each one having different setting on their sockets for removal. I also bought a security shroud to put one of the security bolts through. I tightened everything up so that the wheel was snug but the tyre wall was not compressed. I then measured the distance of the thread showing on the security bolt, removed the bolts, cut 2 sections of stainless steel pipe to the measurements of the showing thread of the security bolts. I then greased the threads and re- fitted the security bolts, pushing them through the stainless pipe section, ratcheting them up into the carrier until the heads were solid up against the carrier and the sections pipe were compressed tight. I live in hope that the visual appearance of the shroud which is bright red, the 2 sections of pipe preventing access to the threads and the bolts each needing there own individual socket to undo them. A person can only do so much and I realise that given enough time and opportunity my spare wheel carrier with never be 'Scrote Proof'.

View attachment 163324

View attachment 163325

View attachment 163326

View attachment 163327
Right I have the wheel and carrier ordered... But now I have to source some stainless steel pipe. What diameter did you use?

I bought 2 of these wheel Lock Bolts - each had a different key socket.

s-l140.jpg
SPARE WHEEL LOCK BOLT FOR VW TRANSPORTER T4 T5 T6 STEEL ALLOY SECURITY NUT 168
(224237019392)

ITEM PRICE:£14.99

On Amazon
1656842751669.png

Sparesafe VW Camper Accessories Device for Securing Spare Wheel on VW T5 T6 & T6.1 Anti Theft Device and Camper Van Accessories and VW Accessories​

Brand: CampervanBits

BrandCampervanBits
MaterialAlloy Steel
Finish typePowder Coated
Lock typeKey Lock

About this item​

• ✅ SAFETY - The Sparesafe locking system will deter even the most determined thief. Bright red in colour, the device acts as a visible deterrant and prevents theft of the spare wheel.
  • ✅ INCLUDED - Bright red thick formed steel bracket which is powder coated to deter rust. Also comes with brand new security lock and key.
  • ✅ MULTIPLE USE - Also for use with other VW T5 T6 & T6Transporter variants including Caravelle, Kombi etc...
  • ✅ Keep your pride and joy safe with the Sparesafe device. A sharp increase in spare wheel theft has made this item a must have for any beginner or advanced California owner
  • ✅ PLEASE NOTE - Not compatible with standard California wheel brace. A 19mm socket will be required to fit
See more product details

Yes I have the bolt cover but will get a second bolt. Did you have the stainless pipe already, was it difficult to cut?

The SS pipe was just a bit I had lying around. I cut it with an angle grinder with a metal cutting disc on it. Provided the bolts pass freely through the pipe the is no specific size but obviously don't go too big on the O/D.

Spare wheel delivered by The Wheel Shop and bracket from ebay. All secured using same methed as @Creamytash
Just need to get a jack now! I have read on the forum the VW Jack's are not great. Any recommendations, needs to be small and only for emergency use.

20220707_115057.jpg

20220707_115044.jpg

Just need to get a jack now! I have read on the forum the VW Jack's are not great. Any recommendations, needs to be small and only for emergency use.
See this thread for info:

I have been Googling and looking at threads on here for methods to protect my spare wheel from being stolen. As some of the threads are quite old and I can’t find the products for sale anymore please can anyone help me with what the latest products are and which is thought to be the best and why?

I once had the embarrassment of being locked out of my own van when in the shower on a campsite. Shh, don’t tell anyone else but since then I’ve always kept a spare key in one of these key safes. I use it with a piece of padded heavy duty motorbike chain round the crossmember and all tucked away out of sight. However, I’m now considering not carrying a spare wheel at all as the van is dragging its arse a little. The puncture plug repair kits do a good job.

Screenshot 2022-08-24 at 11.22.15.png

What’s the size / thread of the spare wheel carrier bolts? I’ve read M12 /1.5 but the thread looks a lot finer.

The thread is M12 x 1.5 x 52
Hope this helps.
If you go onto e-bay and search the security bolts anti theft for VW Trsnsporter you will see the security bolts, go into description and it will give you the thread size as confirmation. Feel free to look up my post on 'Spare Wheel security'. I also went up from 16" wheel to 17".

Photo of my spare wheel security, ie 2 x securty bolts with seperate uzzle nut sockets, SS Tube sleeves over the bolts + Red Shroud.

FB_IMG_1703101196631.jpg

Reactions: CAB
The thread is M12 x 1.5 x 52
Hope this helps.
If you go onto e-bay and search the security bolts anti theft for VW Trsnsporter you will see the security bolts, go into description and it will give you the thread size as confirmation. Feel free to look up my post on 'Spare Wheel security'. I also went up from 16" wheel to 17".
Thanks for the confirmation.
I’m using an 18” spare and don’t want to butcher the carrier arm to fit. I’ve adjusted the front of the carrier arm to the lower option so need to add longer bolts at the back with 30mm spacers for the wheel to fit. Spacers or a sparesafe device.

Thanks for the confirmation.
I’m using an 18” spare and don’t want to butcher the carrier arm to fit. I’ve adjusted the front of the carrier arm to the lower option so need to add longer bolts at the back with 30mm spacers for the wheel to fit. Spacers or a sparesafe device.
The security bolts for the spare wheel on mine I bought off E-Bay. I was able to buy longer than standard bolts that allowed for me to engage the bolts through the carrier with a larger spare wheel in place.

The security bolts for the spare wheel on mine I bought off E-Bay. I was able to buy longer than standard bolts that allowed for me to engage the bolts through the carrier with a larger spare wheel in place.
What size spare are you using? Your set up looks to be the way to go for me too.
How long are the security bolts? Is that a sparesafe you’ve fitted? Did they not come with the device?

My wheels are 17in Swampers with 235 x 55 x 17 all season tyres. My spare isxa steel 17inc rim with same tyre. You get one bolt with the security shroud but I bought a 2nd bolt. I also fitted 2 SS tube sections in the shroud for the bolts to run through. The idea of those SS tubes are to discourage any scrote that might fancy having my spare away with an angle grinder, put him off my vehicle as too time cknsuming and hard work making the scrote move kn and look for easier pickings. See attached photos, I hope they help.

Screenshot_20240202_192305_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240202_192248_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240202_192204_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240202_191943_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240202_191925_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240202_192214_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240202_160306_eBay.jpg

Thanks @Creamytash , To confirm, the trilock bolt is 90.5mm, which works for me.The sparesafe bolt is advertised as 52mm, which is too short. Am I correct?

Correct - the 52mm bolt will not be enough for you to reach the threads of the upper part of the carrier andcengage the threads.
When I bought my 'Sparesafe' the bolt that came with it was 90.5mm. It was from that bolt I knew what size to buy the 2nd bolt. You don't speciffically need a 2nd bolt but I got one to make nicking my spare a harder job and more of a deterant.

Back