Seats: All leather or Alcantara?

What did you choose (and why?).

• All leather

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • All artificial leather (like VW use for their leather seats)

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Leather and Alcantara centre

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Leather and Dynamica (similar to Alcantara)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Artificial leather and Alcantara/Dynamica (As in VW Caravelle seats)

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters

Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I am now at the point where I am going to get my front seats re trimmed. I have been repeatedly looking through the leather seats thread. Loads of awesome seats there and great inspiration.

However I am struggling to choose the materials to use.

My thoughts are leather/alcantara as this gives a nice look with the seats not too hot in summer or freezing in winter.

Or all leather as these look a bit classier (imho) and maybe wear a bit better and clean easier, however are hot/cold.

So I am looking to see what people chose, why and if you would do the same or change if you retrimmed again.

Thank you for any input in helping me make a choice.

Edit: As a lot of replies mentioned kids, for me messy kids aren't a factor, although Connie sometimes makes as much mess.

Last edited:
Reactions: .50
With 3 kids full leather is a no brainer for me as it is wipe clean. I personally think leather is more hard wearing that synthetic (although this is just my opinion, I have not material evidence to back that up!). I have a Caravelle on order that I spec'd up with leather as I was worried that my kids would mark the alcantara. Downside is it is a bit colder to sit on in the middle of winter!

You don’t want all alcantara, the side bolsters will wear really quickly #beentheredonethat

After Granddaughters exploding milkshake episode, I too vote full leather.

Leather seats are really handy for keeping clean. Fabric seats are horrific with kids (I have seat covers on)

Reactions: RML
My last 2 cars had full leather it was a no brainer for me to have the same in new van. Our seats will be done by Vision Leisure with the Recarro upgrade. They look superb. What I like about leather is I find it easy to keep clean with Autoglym Leather cleaner and leather balm. I also like how leather is so much easier to slide into.

Thanks for the replies so far.

All, all leather wont match as I have the alcantara rear caravelle triple, although I must admit I tend to think the leather looks classier, but Im thinking back to freezing in winter and leg burns wearing shorts in summer from the last time I had all leather. Last few cars have been either alcantara or golf GTd/GTi fabric.

To be fair all alcantara wasn't one of the options.
Sorry was reading while walking. Had an Alfa GTV many years ago that someone had just had retrimmed in all Alcantara and the bolsters were shot in a year so had them redone in leather and left the centres alcantara. I liked the look but you can’t beat all leather for practicality. As for longevity, a mate of mine has an old W124 merc coupe from the early 90s with “MB Tex” (ie vinyl) and they quite literally look brand new and have never been retrimmed in 120k miles.

Leatherette - because the upholsterer recommended it over leather.

Thanks. Did he say why?
He said automotive use of real leather is being overtaken by faux leather, it being cheaper and more user friendly (doesn’t heat up as much, doesn’t need treating, doesn’t crack).

He said automotive use of real leather is being overtaken by faux leather, it being cheaper and more user friendly (doesn’t heat up as much, doesn’t need treating, doesn’t crack).
Makes sense doesn't it really, modern leather is so heavily coated and treated with sealants that it doesn't "breathe" in any way, so it may as well be vinyl. Even the S8 seats I had in my T5 were actually only leather on the centre panel you sit on, everything else was vinyl.

Alcantara centres. More comfortable and grippier. Oh and doesn’t hit 100 degrees in summer ;-)

Yup, that van is sold now.......And that’s why my new ones aren’t :)

My previous-previous van was alcantara centres but when we built the tan ones, we couldn’t get a matching alcantara, so went full leather, and I realised I preferred a mix.

Wait till you see the new seats - pics are in the build thread.

Yup, that van is sold now.......And that’s why my new ones aren’t :)

My previous-previous van was alcantara centres but when we built the tan ones, we couldn’t get a matching alcantara, so went full leather, and I realised I preferred a mix.

Wait till you see the new seats - pics are in the build thread.
Can't find that thread :/

I deliberately stayed away from full leather... In my opinion, they tend to look older than they are. What I mean is, almost all the original VW leather seats I've seen look rippled once someone has sat in them, and never really looks neat around the seams, then after a while you can tell by looking which seats are used more frequently by the shininess of the material. Maybe high-end seats like Bentley etc are acceptable in the looks department and might wear better but I can't testify to that. The faux leather in my Mercedes is supposed to wear better than the old real leather (they haven't rippled which is good) but you can still tell by looking which seats get used more often.

I'd also suggest that the user experience feels a bit "cold" in a leather car... not temperature cold but just not as plush as Alcantara. Alcantara feels special. I do agree that it will wear too quickly in certain places - seat bolsters and steering wheels for example - so always better to have something a bit harder round the edges. This is why I went for the Caravelle with soft Alcantara-esque centres.

When I was looking at second hand Caravelles last year, I instantly removed all leather-clad from search results... A big turn off for me. My son is now of an age where I shouldn't have to worry about those noxious fruit-drink spills so hopefully no nasty cleaning situations. I've said it out loud now so I know what's coming! ;)

I have faux leather and alcantara and I don’t like it:
Any touch with ANYTHING “stains” the artificial leather. For example, just the natural grease in your clean hands leaves a mark, needless to say a touch with the forehead, a bold head or a slimed child hand. It will leave a grease stain that is really hard to remove as using a cloth only spreads it. To make things worse it really burns if left in the sun. Let’s face it: it’s plastic and it feels like that.

I had an all-leather BMW for 10 years and 275000km and I was really pleased. Nice, clean and comfortable. In my experience the hot-cold issue is not such a problem. Also true that I haven’t worn shorts since I was 9... of course you feel the temperature but it does not burn in the sun as much as faux leather and never found the cold a real problem. And in addition it did age really well with minimal care.

BTW, just against many people think I would say leather is the best choice for children’s use and abuse: anything spilt over leather can be removed quickly and more easily than in any other material.

May be real leather and alcantara is also a good option (mainly for the look and may be for the price) but I really miss my all leather interior.

If in doubt, just try to sleep with your skin against a real leather garment or sofa and do the same over faux-leather... in my opinion, it’s a no brainer.

Back