Sat Nav Advice

chappy

Hi,

we have just purchased a 2017 T6 converter camper unfortunately it does have sat nav what are the best options available to me in the north east of scotland can't rely on phone signal.

Cheers in advance

Chappy

Hi,

we have just purchased a 2017 T6 converter camper unfortunately it does have sat nav what are the best options available to me in the north east of scotland can't rely on phone signal.

Cheers in advance

Chappy
A decent Tom Tom / Garmin style device will be a lot less than a new sat nav enabled head unit. Just depends on what you want at the end of the day. Pioneer/ Kenwood etc all do aftermarket replacement head units that will fit with sat nav. The choice possibly comes down to how much you can/ want to spend.

A decent Tom Tom / Garmin style device will be a lot less than a new sat nav enabled head unit. Just depends on what you want at the end of the day. Pioneer/ Kenwood etc all do aftermarket replacement head units that will fit with sat nav. The choice possibly comes down to how much you can/ want to spend.

agreed. a decent TomTom with included free lifetime (world) maps and traffic updates (and live speed cameras..where permitted) is a better option IMO and less likely to encourage break-ins and won't age as quickly.

Agreed, after the demise of the TomTom app for IOS I recently purchased a TomTom 6200 totally self contained.

i did the same thing recently, bought a van without the SatNav.. and personally i wanted the VW head unit sat-nav, regardless of everyone elses views. So i've recently bought one for £500 and i'm having it fitted by VW next week. i've been told on this forum that there are issues getting them working, but VW seem to insist it'll work fine, so let's see what happens.

Mine never came with Sat Nav and I didn't want anything attaching to the window, so I found a Brodit mount removed the mount off my original TomTom and made it fit as close to the driver as possible.
2018-05-13 17.23.25-1.jpg

Apart from signal in some areas as stated by the OP, I'd just advise other people to use a phone and waze app.

Reactions: DPS
So just a quick update on this, After much pondering we went for the Garmin drivesmart 61 LMT-D. Main reason for this was it was on sale in Halfords and was also advised I can later add the Garmin BC 30 wireless back up camera to give me a reversing camera and all at resonable cost.

I haven't seen or used set-up yet as away at work but the wife is away traveling the West coast and highlands and is loving it so good result all round.

Thanks for the advice.

Chappy

i did the same thing recently, bought a van without the SatNav.. and personally i wanted the VW head unit sat-nav, regardless of everyone elses views. So i've recently bought one for £500 and i'm having it fitted by VW next week. i've been told on this forum that there are issues getting them working, but VW seem to insist it'll work fine, so let's see what happens.

@Sam Lawson How did you get on at the dealers??

Last edited by a moderator:
@Sam Lawson How did you get on at the dealers??
Well, there's no news as yet.. but i suspect a bit fat failure, as i was warned on here.

When i spoke to the dealer about what i wanted to do, they assured me it was possible and that they had done it before on other vehicles, this boosted my confidence, so i went ahead. I took it in a couple of weeks ago, had a call during the day saying all was going well, it'll be ready to be picked up at 5. I turn up at 5, to be told they hit a 'snag' with the navigation, but everything else is working. The master tech needs to continue working on it, but he's off next week, we'll call you to book it back in.

Turns out 'everything else is working' means - no reversing camera - no appconnect - no CarNet - no balance/fade. They call me back 10 days later and ask if they can have it for two days, of which coincidentally, today is the second day. I hear nothing, at 5pm on the 2nd day i call and ask what's happening. And no word of a lie i hear this.. "well, we're not actually supposed to do this, we can't tell VW what we're doing or they wont help us. We did this last year and it didn't work, and we got a right bollocking from VW for it"

Well, that's a slightly different story than when i originally asked about having it fitted. They've asked for it back for another two days, as the Master Tech has said that if he swaps it out on another van with the same model unit, then codes it on that, and then puts it back into our van, it'll work. Which, oddly enough, is exactly what i was told they needed it for 2 days this time. I can't leave it any longer, the wife needs it tomorrow, so i'm picking it up in the morning. Oh, and even if it had worked, CarNet would never have been able to be used on it, as the Van needs to ship from the factory with a CarNet enabled unit to be able to register it.. took 3 phone calls with VW to get that answer.

Lesson learnt, i should have listened to you guys. I'm going to tell them to put the original unit back in for now, and thankfully i'm covered by eBay to refund the unusable unit. If VW try and charge me anything for the privilege or leaving me without vehicle for several days, to have me back where i started, i shall be politely telling them where to go.. I'll look into the Pioneer or Kenwood units that have been recommended on other threads, i just need to find those threads! If anyone knows the models off hand, please let me know.

Cheers All.

Well, there's no news as yet.. but i suspect a bit fat failure, as i was warned on here.

When i spoke to the dealer about what i wanted to do, they assured me it was possible and that they had done it before on other vehicles, this boosted my confidence, so i went ahead. I took it in a couple of weeks ago, had a call during the day saying all was going well, it'll be ready to be picked up at 5. I turn up at 5, to be told they hit a 'snag' with the navigation, but everything else is working. The master tech needs to continue working on it, but he's off next week, we'll call you to book it back in.

Turns out 'everything else is working' means - no reversing camera - no appconnect - no CarNet - no balance/fade. They call me back 10 days later and ask if they can have it for two days, of which coincidentally, today is the second day. I hear nothing, at 5pm on the 2nd day i call and ask what's happening. And no word of a lie i hear this.. "well, we're not actually supposed to do this, we can't tell VW what we're doing or they wont help us. We did this last year and it didn't work, and we got a right bollocking from VW for it"

Well, that's a slightly different story than when i originally asked about having it fitted. They've asked for it back for another two days, as the Master Tech has said that if he swaps it out on another van with the same model unit, then codes it on that, and then puts it back into our van, it'll work. Which, oddly enough, is exactly what i was told they needed it for 2 days this time. I can't leave it any longer, the wife needs it tomorrow, so i'm picking it up in the morning. Oh, and even if it had worked, CarNet would never have been able to be used on it, as the Van needs to ship from the factory with a CarNet enabled unit to be able to register it.. took 3 phone calls with VW to get that answer.

Lesson learnt, i should have listened to you guys. I'm going to tell them to put the original unit back in for now, and thankfully i'm covered by eBay to refund the unusable unit. If VW try and charge me anything for the privilege or leaving me without vehicle for several days, to have me back where i started, i shall be politely telling them where to go.. I'll look into the Pioneer or Kenwood units that have been recommended on other threads, i just need to find those threads! If anyone knows the models off hand, please let me know.

Cheers All.

Oh dear!
The dealers can’t do it at all!

But we can!

Problem is it’s £1650 with vat fully fitted and working.

Back