Sat Nav Advice

So i was told by VW that the GVN-MIB1 wouldn't work on the Transporter range, only on VW cars. I asked why, as the head unit is exactly the same model in both the T6 and the Cars, so there's no reason it shouldn't work.. and they just scratched their heads at me. I could have risked it, bought it and fitted it myself, but by that point i was so wound up by VW's incompetence that i needed a break, so i updated the TomTom i already had and shoved it in the glove box. That did me proud over summer, if not the most ideal option.

Since then, Apple have announced that iOS 12, which is released this week, unlocks Car Play to 3rd party apps. Meaning that both Google Maps and Waze will work through Car Play on the current console. To save myself a grand, i'm just going to stick with that. In the rare occasion that i'm somewhere with no phone signal, i'll use the TomTom from the glove box.

In the rare occasion that i'm somewhere with no phone signal

You can also download offline maps in Google Maps. Save the area you are planning to tour in advance (at home on WiFi) and you should not have any problems. :thumbsup:

Hi have you got the model number of the garmin please?

Thanks mate
Presumably the DriveAssist.

I got the 51 D recently, seems OK and dashcam works fine.

They only promote the S on the website, the D does traffic updates via radio, not smartphone.

You will be turning all of the warnings off (the 'DriveAssist' features!) after a few trips. The only one I find useful is the speed limit change ahead.

If you get one, word of warning, a PC USB doesn't provide enough power for the cam. I sent mine back thinking it was faulty, but the second was the same. Works fine on the van 12v, and OK in the house with a 2A USB adapter.

Presumably the DriveAssist.

I got the 51 D recently, seems OK and dashcam works fine.

They only promote the S on the website, the D does traffic updates via radio, not smartphone.

You will be turning all of the warnings off (the 'DriveAssist' features!) after a few trips. The only one I find useful is the speed limit change ahead.

If you get one, word of warning, a PC USB doesn't provide enough power for the cam. I sent mine back thinking it was faulty, but the second was the same. Works fine on the van 12v, and OK in the house with a 2A USB adapter.

Ok thanks for the info

Back