Safety issue- Engine dies when changing gear.

This has happened to me...I'm a bugger for coasting out of gear and it did it then. I just put it down to being a diesel and as such no coasting, as I'm used to petrol vehicles. But...my husband's BMW used to do it and my kia has done it too and that's a petrol. I hate the start stop thing...think I'm going to turn it off.

Yep happened to me on a roundabout, especially if your not in exactly the right gear.

Is it to do with the stop/start? as when I dipped the clutch it restarted.

Just had vw assistance technician out to van, and no fault found! however this has now been logged, one thing he did tell me which was of interest is the fact that when the engine cuts out things like applying the hand brake, using electric windows, turning the steering wheel etc will re start the engine, I explained that I was trying to turn the wheel because I had no power steering and it did not re start so my conclusion is there must be a fault, would be interesting to know what you guys/girls think? In the mean time I will take his advice and monitor the situation and also ask the dealer what to do next..

I think what the tech was describing may have been things that cause the engine to re start itself after it has stalled due to driver error, ie your pulling out of a junction, let the clutch out a bit quick, and it stalls. Usually, you simply depress the clutch and it will restart, but it may be that those other operations do the same thing ( although the clutch would need to be depressed anyway, so it doesen't make much sense)

If he was saying that any of these operations will restart the engine whilst the vehicle is moving after the engine has died without warning, then i think he is mistaken. To be able to give that advise he would need to know what had caused the engine to stop in the first place,

@TEESIXY Well at the moment my friend there are a few things that do not make sense, especially that quote from the manual "At low speeds,the engine can be started again if it has stalled by immediately pressing the clutch pedal " surely the engine should not stall unless completely stationary ??

@TEESIXY Well at the moment my friend there are a few things that do not make sense, especially that quote from the manual "At low speeds,the engine can be started again if it has stalled by immediately pressing the clutch pedal " surely the engine should not stall unless completely stationary ??

Our 150 (so far) seems quite resilient to stalling. On the day we picked it up my wife managed to "stall" it twice pulling away - went to restart, only to find it was still running.
So quite how it would stall when moving, I have no idea.

Had a very similar thing today with a 15o DSG. Driving down hill in a country lane! Total loss of power, glow plug light was flashing and MFD said to turn off stop start. Did this and van re-started, waited until I was on a flat straight road, turned the stop start back on and instantly lost power again. Strangely also today my media USB socket has stopped working, it’s not charging or connecting to carplay and they’re beside each other? (66 plate Kombi High line)

Funny that as I could not get a charge off my usb hence why I bought a cig charger - not had it turn off yet whilst driving.

@Jason Kennedy My van is going into dealers on Tuesday 08/08/17, and I have been told I can sit with one of there tech guys to go through the many problems and niggles I have come across in the last two weeks of driving my 17 plate Kombi 150 t32 highline appart from the cutting out (auto assist guy I called out told me turning the steering wheel re starts the engine, I said no it does not, and he changed the subject). I have also had the reverse camera not coming on once? engine idling at 1000 rpm and fan staying on after a 10 mile journey, alarm seems to not be working, main beam assist not activated? fuel consumption on computer going bananas, and a few other things.
If anyone else is interested with my results I will keep you posted....

Thanks. It’s luckily the first major issue I’ve had although I feel the stop start has never been right, I had the new model Passat before this and the stop start was much smoother and never cut out until you were completely at rest, the Kombi has always been very course, often cutting out a metre or so before you physically stop. The engine today definitely didn’t restart after turning the steering wheel as I was on a hairpin bend when it faulted. It restarted on the key but was hunting for revs, from 500 to 1500 rpm. But had no power. I fear if my wife was driving we would have been in the hedge as she wouldn’t have had the strength to steer, it was very heavy to turn, could’ve been much worse!!

I’ll call the dealer tomorrow (Snows Plymouth) and let you know the results.

-Jase.

100% it does not activate with turning steering wheel - thats something every car I have driven has let you do

Had a very similar thing today with a 15o DSG. Driving down hill in a country lane! Total loss of power, glow plug light was flashing and MFD said to turn off stop start. Did this and van re-started,
Yep. Happened to me once a year ago. Glow plug light started flashing and van went to limp mode (lost most of the power but power steering was still working). Took back to the service where "P062B00 - ECU fail" was found. I was quite upset and also the service seemed to take it quite seriosly and obviosly had had more similar cases. But no real actions were taken. Haven't happened again. But interestingly last week at service they mentioned that in August (!) there should be a software update to fix the above (ECU fail). Mine has engine CXFA 150ps DSG 4Motion (build date Nov-2015). Mentioning build date might be useful because even that might have a role in the engine faults seen around the forum - may be component changes in the production.

Never had a engine stall when driving but have recorded 4 failed starts - engine starts but just in seconds shuts down. Once had even D on and it shut down before really moving - so no harm done then. So this could be related with the topic of this thread, or not. Interestingly engine counter "IDE03189-MAS04417 Poor start detection" shows also 4. Haven't got a decent explanation on these - just something like could be failing rpm-sensor with causes engine to shut down... :eek: but nothing in the error log yet.

Yep. Happened to me once a year ago. Glow plug light started flashing and van went to limp mode (lost most of the power but power steering was still working). Took back to the service where "P062B00 - ECU fail" was found. I was quite upset and also the service seemed to take it quite seriosly and obviosly had had more similar cases. But no real actions were taken. Haven't happened again. But interestingly last week at service they mentioned that in August (!) there should be a software update to fix the above (ECU fail). Mine has engine CXFA 150ps DSG 4Motion (build date Nov-2015). Mentioning build date might be useful because even that might have a role in the engine faults seen around the forum - may be component changes in the production.

Never had a engine stall when driving but have recorded 4 failed starts - engine starts but just in seconds shuts down. Once had even D on and it shut down before really moving - so no harm done then. So this could be related with the topic of this thread, or not. Interestingly engine counter "IDE03189-MAS04417 Poor start detection" shows also 4. Haven't got a decent explanation on these - just something like could be failing rpm-sensor with causes engine to shut down... :eek: but nothing in the error log yet.

Well, the van is still in the dealers. It’s been there since last Thursday (over a week) I’ve had a courtesy van since they said they needed to keep it in. Snows escalated it to VW technical and they escalated it to the factory. The fault is:

“Internal Control Module, Injector Module” and happens when going downhill with zero throttle input (dealers words)

It requires a software modification from the factory. I’m not allowed to drive it and they want to keep it “to take further readings” been impressed with the dealer in terms of feedback but I want my van back, got too used to my DSG!!

Update to last post.
When I was at the dealers, I went for a test drive with tech guy driving my van, and every time he came to a stop the van never cut out so start/stop not working, he said that they would look into this, after leaving my van with them for a day the outcome was that, if you are driving and the heater or anything else is showing extra power drain on the battery, the start stop will not cut in? and with regards to the problem of it cutting out they had test driven it and that problem never happened, however there was a fault with the alarm which was now fixed, so I would need to keep monitoring and get it back to them if the cut out problem reoccurs.
With regards to the high revving, and also fan staying on even after key is removed and van locked, this is to do with the DPF and the coolants needing further cooling, and that, this happens every so often and is normal.
The reverse camera seems to be working OK at the moment.
Any thoughts please..

My stop/start worked the other day with fan on 1 and air con on.

Its hit and miss, my van will generally not stop/start with AC running but if the engines warm on a decent run (and i assume the battery is fully charged) then it will stop start if only on low fan speed as above
Anything that places excessive electrical load on the alternator will cause the S/S system to disable this includes A/C, heated screens, heated mirrors, heated seats etc and any aftermarket kit connected to van battery (not leisure battery) like invertors or chargers

mine sometimes doesn't stop/start with fan on one. I'm surprised how easy it is for the stop/start NOT to work........if that makes sense?

Mine seems a bit random too, sometimes going to work (35 miles each way) I have to stop a traffic lights about 2 minutes from home, sometimes it works and sometimes it is disabled. What Pauly says is spot on.

Back