Safety issue- Engine dies when changing gear.

Mate.....that's horrific! As usual though, some first class advice forthcoming from the forum!! Just go steady.....that's the kind of event that could really freak someone out.......and badly dent your confidence in the van!! You make a good point on vw looking for something to pin the blame on.....I use a diesel additive religiously.....makes me wonder if they'd stoop to that?? :thumbsup:

Yes, a first class response, and i appreciate it. When i collected it yesterday, there was a young man on the service reception and he handed me the keys back with a smile, saying that they found nothing wrong. Nothing wrong with that, just doing his job, but it reminded me of my first T5 i had in 2004, it was one of the first ones. The handbrake seemed odd, a couple of times i went out to it to find it was off, when i knew i'd left it on. Seemed like the ratchet was faulty.
Anyway, i took that van in to be looked at, and got the same response when i collected it, more of a smirk that time though, as though they thought i'd imagined it.. A few weeks later all T5's were recalled as the handbrake ratchets were faulty. Time will tell

Just found this thread by accident.....and I got a bit of a fright! My new T6 did exactly the same thing a few days ago, but I though that I'd stalled it by mistake (I was coming up to T-junction and thought I'd just slowed down too much and slipped the clutch). Very interesting now though.....
My van's a 204ps manual. I've noticed it's prone to stalling if I'm too gentle on the throttle, so I put this T-junction episode down to that. I'm going to keep a watch on this too.....

Hi Dave .
I've just had a worried customer in to my workshop vwbullibarn.co.uk he has had same problems with his 2016 westfalia 2016 it now cut out 4-5 times over a period of 2 months
It been to vw and they have told him there is no faults and nothing wrong with it .
They have also offered to give him a driving lesson !!!!
His vw t6 is now back with vw and they will have another look but he does not sound hopeful .
Also he has a fault with the stop start not working perhaps this is a link ?
any help would be nice to pass on .
Best regards Les

Hi Dave .
I've just had a worried customer in to my workshop vwbullibarn.co.uk he has had same problems with his 2016 westfalia 2016 it now cut out 4-5 times over a period of 2 months
It been to vw and they have told him there is no faults and nothing wrong with it .
They have also offered to give him a driving lesson !!!!
His vw t6 is now back with vw and they will have another look but he does not sound hopeful .
Also he has a fault with the stop start not working perhaps this is a link ?
any help would be nice to pass on .
Best regards Les

I hope there isn't a trend developing here! Mine's been OK for the past week but I'm being careful to keep the revs up when pulling away. It's almost like the kind of stall you'd get when you'd not got the choke in the right spot (giving my age away now!) I've not been to VW about this but I will if it happens again!

Hi Dave .
My customer is 75 years young and it normally happens when going slow dropping down into 2nd gear to go around a corner .
He said if the wife was driving it might have been a lot worse without the power steering working .
Lets hope they get to the bottom of it as it has put him off driving it ,
The camper has only covered 7500 miles !!

Les,

I agree - if it happens on a bend it could be pretty dodgy. I'll be a keeping an eye on this post for sure

Has this got something to do with the fault they had on watchdog a few weeks ago.

Didn't see it myself but they are having a lot of complaints about vw's cutting out. It was on for two weeks and VW said it wasn't down to them .

That seems to relate to limp home, rather than stalling. That would be less of an issue as the power steering would be unaffected. I see that someone else has described a very similar situation to when mine stalled- changing down, and with enough road camber to cause the power steering to be working.
I dont think we have heard the last of this issue, because i know i didnt do anything wrong to cause it to happen.
The VW dealer chose to take no further action, rather than escalate the matter.

Yes I agree limp mode is totally different .
Would be nice to find the out come and let's hope it's a minority.

@T6 Dave's Dad Not a Happy Bunny.... The same thing happened to me today when driving back from Camping at the Castle, I was approaching a T junction doing around 25 mph I started to change down and all of a sudden the steering went heavy and I just managed to stop before going out into passing traffic, the engine had died and I tried not to panic, I dipped the clutch and nothing happened so I had to re-start with key, following that I switched the stop/start off and got home OK.
I am now quite angry because I am beginning to wish I had not brought this vehicle due to the fact I have owned it for less than a week and my initial excitement is going down hill rapidly.
Do you think I should follow your previous advice and call VW assist ?
My van is a used vehicle it had done 6500 miles, it was registered on 28th March 2017 . Its a 150ps SWB highline kombi t32.
Thanks
Toonaroon

@T6 Dave's Dad Not a Happy Bunny.... The same thing happened to me today when driving back from Camping at the Castle, I was approaching a T junction doing around 25 mph I started to change down and all of a sudden the steering went heavy and I just managed to stop before going out into passing traffic, the engine had died and I tried not to panic, I dipped the clutch and nothing happened so I had to re-start with key, following that I switched the stop/start off and got home OK.
I am now quite angry because I am beginning to wish I had not brought this vehicle due to the fact I have owned it for less than a week and my initial excitement is going down hill rapidly.
Do you think I should follow your previous advice and call VW assist ?
My van is a used vehicle it had done 6500 miles, it was registered on 28th March 2017 . Its a 150ps SWB highline kombi t32.
Thanks
Toonaroon
Hi toonaroon
Not nice that you have experienced this fault
I wold think it's a good idea to register the fault with vw assist so they can have it on file.
In the mean time carry on driving and keep an eye on its running if it does it again I think you should get it looked at .
Best regards Les

If it happens once Im giving it back, on a bend you could be head on with anything.

I have to say that the DSG has been one of the best things about the van and im pretty sure I 100% made the right decision.

Sorry, in my haste to post this problem and being late, I forgot to say that in the owners manual in the section on start/stop. Information Notice it states "At low speeds,the engine can be started again if it has stalled by immediately pressing the clutch pedal " My question is who wants there engine to stall at low speeds??? and I also pressed my clutch and nothing happend...
I will keep you posted, I have just phoned VW Assistance (the AA) and they are sending someone to look at my van because I could not log this problem with them, I will also try to contact VW Customer service.

Back