Safety issue- Engine dies when changing gear.

I bought from a second hand dealer just a month ago and its under their warranty for a year so I am not sure what will happen if I bring it back to them they are not a vw dealer. did you buy from new and then return to a vw dealer

Hi I’ve got to the bottom of the issue I have a dsg Cali which has cut out on numerous occasions since I turned the stop start off it has not done it since ! So as it’s tried to kill me on numerous occasions has not done it since so yes there’s a fault ok stop start the culprit
I will try this and see how I get on but after that Im not sure what the next steps are, im really hoping I have not spent a small fortune of a van which will try to kill me through an electrical fault

I bought from a second hand dealer just a month ago and its under their warranty for a year so I am not sure what will happen if I bring it back to them they are not a vw dealer. did you buy from new and then return to a vw dealer
It was secondhand from a VW commercial dealership. I don’t know what the position will be for you but good luck.

I don’t see how it can be a stop start issue as only happens when you’re moving in about the 10-20 mph range.

Also it can’t be a driver fault if you have a DSG. In my mind the van has a dangerous fault

I don’t see how it can be a stop start issue as only happens when you’re moving in about the 10-20 mph range.

Also it can’t be a driver fault if you have a DSG. In my mind the van has a dangerous fault
I think Im going to cry, what a nightmare !

hi folks, I have also had this problem with my new to me van, so is it a driver issue and I am just adjusting or its a fault with the van, what do you kind folks recommend I do with it next, It has happened quite often now and also in the middle of roundabout and while slowing down and approaching ramps

Is your van manual or DSG ?

Pete

This used to be a regular occurrence for me, but hasn’t arisen for years since I started to switch off the STOP / START without even thinking about it after I start the engine.
It’s one hell of a coincidence if it’s nothing to do with STOP / START.

This used to be a regular occurrence for me, but hasn’t arisen for years since I started to switch off the STOP / START without even thinking about it after I start the engine.
It’s one hell of a coincidence if it’s nothing to do with STOP / START.
If that is the case it’s an easy fix by altering the switch so the default setting is “off”every time you start the van. There’s a thread on the forum somewhere detailing how to do it.

This is a serious fault and i now know VW are investigating it/working on a fix for it, i dont have anymore info than that im afraid but something should be coming in due course but that could be days/weeks/months ??
Pauly what ever happened with this story?

If that is the case it’s an easy fix by altering the switch so the default setting is “off”every time you start the van. There’s a thread on the forum somewhere detailing how to do it.
I believe there’s an emulator that does the job, it’s on the Forum, quite possibly in the 17 pages of this discussion.
I really don’t mind pushing the switch, but I am wary of fitting some third party electronics that just might kill the engine without warning when it fails.

Get a VCDS scan first of all, to see if there are any electrical fault codes logged.

if there is an issue with the stop start system it may be logged....

which then gives you direction for the garage to look for the fault.

Can you use your dashcam as evidence of it happening?.... The video clip of time and date. ? Send the link to the video to the garage or load it onto YouTube for the garage to see.

(Going by what's been said above with the issue going away with stop start switched off)

It only ever happened to me in the small number of occasions i allowed the engine to momentarily drop below 1100/1000 rpm at low speed navigating roundabouts or junctions. I consciously avoid this now and it has not been an issue ( except driver error changing from 1st to 4th instead of second)
I still believe it is related to my stop/start issue, I had one VW indy try to trace the signal wire for a break but only paid them to go so far without success and they were unwilling to bypass it as suggested by XOP because they said it would not be a standard repair as they were told not to modify repairs to electrics even though it is only a signal wire !!
I have another VW indy who is a friend who is willing to bypass the wire when he and i have the time and then once fitted i will see if this not only fixes the stalling but reinstates the stop/start.
One other thing which is maybe nothing..... My battery would turn the starter but would feel like it lost enough power to starter just as the engine would fire in to life, the battery was exactly 5 years old from new 2017 and has been replaced and has restored the starter power on starting the engine, maybe something but probably nothing in relation to the issue being discussed.
When i get the start/stop fixed i will get it coded out, so maybe that is the cheap and easy option, i have ocd so that does not suit my sensibilities :)

I went test drive today and hit the ss button so it was illuminated as soon as I got in, I drove fine for over an hour on both country and town roads and I did have three occasions when it went on me but this time it did not ask for manual restart as the pedal push kicked in the ignition, could the SS switch be wired in reverse so when its supposed to be on its actually off and vice versa. I drove then the same way home both country and town again with the ss switch not illuminated and then it failed on me many more times and asked for a key restart but also the pedal kicked in once or twice also. There is no logic to this. It happened both at roundabouts and when I was slowing down to pull into the small country roads letting another pass. So about 7-9 times in all in 2 hours and then I went to park somewhere with pretty light and drove my wee Eos into a wall damaging the front bumper and leaving some scratches in the paint also.... not a good day... not a good car, Ill be headed to where I bought her tomorrow and confessing my stress bump and I'm not sure saying what about the condition of the vehicle... any tips. Could it be me I wonder but a friend insists its not easy to stall a Diesel engine.

Wow, it had it about twice a month. I think you have a serious problem there.
Im really struggling to know if its me or not as I think I was tired with all the really considered driving as the first hour was perfect and then I may have slipped back into my more relaxed mode.

Are you definitely putting the clutch down well before you get to say 1,000 rpm ?
Our T6 definitely cuts the engine if you are too slow to do this, and end up forcing the engine to run too slowly. It’s only happened a few times to us, but it was definitely my fault each time.

Pete

Are you definitely putting the clutch down well before you get to say 1,000 rpm ?
Our T6 definitely cuts the engine if you are too slow to do this, and end up forcing the engine to run too slowly. It’s only happened a few times to us, but it was definitely my fault each time.

Pete
I'll continue the trial test tomorrow, not technically minded at all so can you break it down for me more Pete so I can try and replicate this, the rpm is the other clock on the dash and it should still be over 1 before I clutch? I may have to learn a whole new way of driving. I really hope it's as simple as this. Other than that she is great and really fits with me.

In simple terms, yes. Try depressing the clutch before the revs get below 1,000 when you are slowing down. Either when you press the clutch to change down a gear or when you come to a halt.
It will feel odd for a while, but at least it will rule out using too low revs as a cause.
Definitely drive with S-S disabled (light on) when you do this.

Pete

Am I right in thinking that if you’re stopped with the start stop working and then roll forward the engine will restart automatically? If this is correct then why doesn’t it start automatically when the van stalls whilst still moving?

Back