Safety issue- Engine dies when changing gear.

I just deliberately stalled on my drive to confirm, the no auto start A comes up and the ‘manually restart’ instruction comes up on the dash. Not much fun at 30/40mph

Reactions: DXX
Strange that yours doesn't re-start by depressing the clutch. Mine is a 2016 140ps Highline with manual gearbox and it always works.
In fact this is on another van, another 69 plate but never had a stall issue with this one .I returned the other one on the 28 day no quibble deal. Try the driveway stall , I’d be interested to see ?

In fact this is on another van, another 69 plate but never had a stall issue with this one .I returned the other one on the 28 day no quibble deal. Try the driveway stall , I’d be interested to see ?
I've not tried it yet but I have something in the back of my mind that the auto-restart only works if the vehicle is still rolling. I'll give it a go when I get chance.

Having driven the van a lot more now during the period we were allowed out of Lockdown in 2020 I am 99.9% sure it was my doing and being in too high a gear.

Then it stalls and all power steering is lost. That is working as intended.

This is not to say others aren't experiencing some form of fault but I don't believe I am.

We all think its something we have done or in the wrong gear... to me it feels like the stop start cuts the engine out when slowing down slowly turning right and changing down the gears foot still letting the clutch up im sure if i let the whole clutch up and pushed it again it would auto start but i restart on the key with clutch pushed fully back down to coast . mines cut out about 5- 6 times now . it don't do it when im used to diving it . i don't use it as my daily drive but that's about to change ...

Reactions: CAB
We all think its something we have done or in the wrong gear... to me it feels like the stop start cuts the engine out when slowing down slowly turning right and changing down the gears foot still letting the clutch up im sure if i let the whole clutch up and pushed it again it would auto start but i restart on the key with clutch pushed fully back down to coast . mines cut out about 5- 6 times now . it don't do it when im used to diving it . i don't use it as my daily drive but that's about to change ...
Pretty sure it’s not a gear change issue, I get a message on the dash to manually restart. It has never happened with the Auto Start / Stop disabled and I don’t drive any differently.
Without a doubt it’s extremely dangerous, I disable Auto Start / Stop without thinking now as soon as the engine is started.

my wonder is the inside turning wheel is a lot slower than the outer the stop start see s this and thinks its stopped then feathering the clutch in

whist changing down into 2nd i even had it with a cold engine too the stop start should not of even operated someone else said about a drained battery my van had seen a lot of open closes and door locks and the radio was used a lot ....Who knows LOL

One of mine happened going down a straight hill and slowing for a junction. I put my foot on the clutch to go from 4th to 3rd and it died. It demanded ‘ manual restart ‘ which I did but it’s slightly worrying in case the steering lock jumps in !

se guidi in modo "sportivo" non succede ... comunque io disabilito sempre StartStop .... ma questa logica non va bene, anzi no!

if you drive in a "sporty" way it doesn't happen ... anyway I always disable StartStop .... but this logic is not good, indeed no!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CAB
Mine has stalled a couple of times, and both times I know I was in too high a gear at slow speeds. When you stall it, it demands you restart it with the key - that makes sense.
That‘s just my experience though - other people seem to suffer more severe issues.

Pete

I had 3 or 4 random stalls in the first couple of weeks of a new van , and I managed to return it under the warranty . Haven’t had it before, nor in the new replacement either ?

I've started this thread because it seems to be a different issue to one already posted, where the engine dies at low speed.
Just had the biggest scare of my life- going down a steep'ish hill, with a 90 degree bend at the bottom. Doing about 35mph in 4th gear. I started to change down to 3rd, and the engine died, with the loss of the power steering. Had it all on to navigate the bend and ended up on the grass verge.
I released the clutch in 3rd as it was slowing and it was dead. Once stationary i turned the ignition of, back on and it restarted normally, no warning lights, and didnt do it again on the way home.
It was pretty scary tbh. If the wife had been driving, it would have ended up in a ditch, without doubt. Will contact the dealer on Mon, but i am dreading the "no fault found" answer after a day wasted.
Just had this issue with my T6 ocean very frightening 199 bhp motor it can happen at any time no doubt in my mind this is extremely serious shows no faults logged I wonder how many other owners have experienced deadly heavy steering and out of control T6 vans

Mine has stalled a couple of times, and both times I know I was in too high a gear at slow speeds. When you stall it, it demands you restart it with the key - that makes sense.
That‘s just my experience though - other people seem to suffer more severe issues.

Pete
Yep, my experience too. T28 102

Just had this issue with my T6 ocean very frightening 199 bhp motor it can happen at any time no doubt in my mind this is extremely serious shows no faults logged I wonder how many other owners have experienced deadly heavy steering and out of control T6 vans
Aren't the 199 engines all DSG?

There are a few threads on this cutting out while changing down it's Happened to quit a lot of us... to me a few times when changing down slowly on some turns a double pump on the clutch it restarts like it's the start stop function but normally i have grabbed the key before that to go for a manual restart .

I started on this thread 3 years ago, and I've had it happen with s/s on and off, the stealers will simply not accept the problem??
I have noticed that if you keep your eye on the rev's when changing down and try to keep the rev's higher than normal it seems to do the trick of not cutting out, although I have been caught out a couple of times..

Nevertheless, I remain adamant that this is a dangerous fault and STILL needs to be addressed by VW...

I've started this thread because it seems to be a different issue to one already posted, where the engine dies at low speed.
Just had the biggest scare of my life- going down a steep'ish hill, with a 90 degree bend at the bottom. Doing about 35mph in 4th gear. I started to change down to 3rd, and the engine died, with the loss of the power steering. Had it all on to navigate the bend and ended up on the grass verge.
I released the clutch in 3rd as it was slowing and it was dead. Once stationary i turned the ignition of, back on and it restarted normally, no warning lights, and didnt do it again on the way home.
It was pretty scary tbh. If the wife had been driving, it would have ended up in a ditch, without doubt. Will contact the dealer on Mon, but i am dreading the "no fault found" answer after a day waste
It was pretty scary tbh. If the wife had been driving, it would have ended up in a ditch, without doubt. Will contact the dealer on Mon, but i am dreading the "no fault found" answer after a day wasted.
Hi Teesixy
New on here so apologies if I’m not doing this properly…. We bought our 2018 T6 last September, 3 weeks later having experienced exactly what you have we brought it back to the independent dealer who said it was clutch problems. He changed clutch and flywheel…. Almost immediately it was acting up again, cutting out in low gear when hot, cutting out in reverse etc. Similar to before the clutch change. Brought to main dealer for diagnostics and they said, clutch problems…. Back to the guy who sold it to us, he changed the clutch again, got it back and straight away problems again but Christmas got in the way… eventually got him to take it back in again and his mechanic changed the clutch and flywheel for the third time….guess what? Still the same problems but getting worse because it’s happening practically all the time now. Can anyone shed any light on what is wrong? The cooling fan seems to come on when the problem is happening and doesn’t come on when it isn’t causing bother. Thanks in advance …. I’m at the end of my wits here.

Les,

I agree - if it happens on a bend it could be pretty dodgy. I'll be a keeping an eye on this post for sure
Happened me on a bend and scared the wits out of me. VW dealer and 2 independent dealers reckon it’s the clutch….. 3 clutch replacements later it’s looking like it isn’t the clutch because still giving problems. I would love to get to the bottom of this and let others know so they won’t have to go down the three clutch route unnecessarily

Back