Safety issue- Engine dies when changing gear.

Happened me on a bend and scared the wits out of me. VW dealer and 2 independent dealers reckon it’s the clutch….. 3 clutch replacements later it’s looking like it isn’t the clutch because still giving problems. I would love to get to the bottom of this and let others know so they won’t have to go down the three clutch route unnecessarily
What symptoms were they observing to suggest a clutch problem?

I'm sure it's driving habit not a vehicle fault. It's so easy to be in too high a gear and when the revs drop below a certain point the ECU simply shuts the engine down.
The saving grace is being able to use the re-start facility by simply depressing the clutch. After driving forty plus years and having to manually restart if an engine stalls it takes a bit of getting used to having that facility.
I’m sorry, but it absolutely isn’t driver habit. 6 different drivers have experienced the issue with my van. It’s so bad now that even driving along at 40mph in urban areas you can feel it fading in and out and then eventually dies when slowing to a stop at lights. Unfortunately it’s not possible to keep revs up when you need to slow down to go around a bend or avoid a hazard. It’s a very dangerous fault.

I’d book it into a VW service centre, I bet they won’t find anything to report and bill you for the check anyway, but the problem will go away. What is going on we may never no, but I suspect a combination of over sensitive front assist and being in the wrong gear - the latter seems hard to believe but at low speeds they will stall in 3rd.

Mine has stalled a couple of times, and both times I know I was in too high a gear at slow speeds. When you stall it, it demands you restart it with the key - that makes sense.
That‘s just my experience though - other people seem to suffer more severe issues.

Pete
This has been my experience of this issue too. User error

What symptoms were they observing to suggest a clutch problem?
Hi Gavinda, they said that the bite was wrong and that cutting out in low gears and reversing was a sign. They felt that the flywheel wasn’t engaging with the clutch properly. I’m not an expert so have to be guided but even a one eyed donkey could tell after 3 clutches that maybe it’s something else…. Not sure why they did three and didn’t investigate further.

I’d book it into a VW service centre, I bet they won’t find anything to report and bill you for the check anyway, but the problem will go away. What is going on we may never no, but I suspect a combination of over sensitive front assist and being in the wrong gear - the latter seems hard to believe but at low speeds they will stall in 3rd.
How can you be in the wrong gear when reversing? Also, why if it’s driving style does it not happen when driving my car or the other business van? It’s been to VW service centre who said it needed a new clutch.

Hi same issue with Cali ocean when first purchased dsg model on way home from dealer in Coventry cut out down hill from donnington services this seems a little common but it’s never done it again thank god steering very difficult managed to steer to curb and stop into park then it took some starting but eventually did start all very odd and I’ve never found out why just wonder there seems to be issues with water in fuel seems to be a little common there is no drain tap on the filter why I’m not sure but this issue seems fairly popular with no real reason

How can you be in the wrong gear when reversing? Also, why if it’s driving style does it not happen when driving my car or the other business van? It’s been to VW service centre who said it needed a new clutch.
Then you don’t have the same issue as others on this thread, start a new one. We did have the the cutting out issue but it’s has gone since being in for checks / being 100% aware of being in wrong gear - am not sure which is the fix, either mechanical or driver but at the time (two years ago) I was livid.

As above, I think a new thread is needed. Your issue seems different.

Pete

Been there, pulled my hair out, spent countless hours of my life researching this dangerous problem to no avail, yet after 5 years owning my beloved T6 I still drive it with the same fear has Keanu Reeves in the film Speed with a bomb under the bus.
Has I have said many times, it is a clear design fault that VW will not accept due to the cost of recalls, and bad publicity...........

Then you don’t have the same issue as others on this thread, start a new one. We did have the the cutting out issue but it’s has gone since being in for checks / being 100% aware of being in wrong gear - am not sure which is the fix, either mechanical or driver but at the time (two years ago) I was livid.
As above, I think a new thread is needed. Your issue seems different.

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
I've not tried it yet but I have something in the back of my mind that the auto-restart only works if the vehicle is still rolling. I'll give it a go when I get chance.
this is very close i cut out this morning changing down still rolling slowly and got a auto start. the van didn't stale with the the stale bang.. it happened as i was approaching a junction still rolling slow and it auto started not like the start stop.. clutch down about half way

@CabCraft i don't think it's a clutch issue think it's closer to the start / stop device low speeds wrong gear and turning even slightly one wheel goes to near stop while the other is rolling

i will Add it might be our driving Technique, not like a car needing to be in a positive gear and off the clutch as slowing as it only happens occasionally

for me when feathering the clutch it seems.

Last edited:
this is very close i cut out this morning changing down still rolling slowly and got a auto start. the van didn't stale with the the stale bang.. it happened as i was approaching a junction still rolling slow and it auto started not like the start stop.. clutch down about half way

@CabCraft i don't think it's a clutch issue think it's closer to the start / stop device low speeds wrong gear and turning even slightly one wheel goes to near stop while the other is rolling

i will Add it might be our driving Technique, not like a car needing to be in a positive gear and off the clutch as slowing as it only happens occasionally

for me when feathering the clutch it seems.
Thanks Mud Digger but 6 different have experienced the issues while driving the van. I also drive a much larger jumbo transit with absolutely no issues and have driven a 53 seater coach. In all my years driving Inhave never had to have a clutch replaced or any issues like this even when driving bangers in my younger days.

Thanks Mud Digger but 6 different have experienced the issues while driving the van. I also drive a much larger jumbo transit with absolutely no issues and have driven a 53 seater coach. In all my years driving Inhave never had to have a clutch replaced or any issues like this even when driving bangers in my younger days.
@CabCraft No i don't think any of us had had this before im sure its not a driver issue.. we all questioned is it something w are doing wrong... there has been a lot of discussion in here on the subject .... i changed my driving style to keep it in the right gear better and its been much better for months .......till this morning.. did it again... out of the blue ... i labored 2nd gear just a little getting ready to stop and slip into 1st or i would of pulled away in 2nd but it cut out

Well I sent a message to the dealer I bought my van off to let him know that his 3rd clutch hasn't rectified the problem and I'm now considering my next action.... he 4eas the message and didn't even have the decency to reply or even acknowledge. Beyond furious right now

Well I sent a message to the dealer I bought my van off to let him know that his 3rd clutch hasn't rectified the problem and I'm now considering my next action.... he 4eas the message and didn't even have the decency to reply or even acknowledge. Beyond furious right now
deep breaths ........ is it VW you are dealing with. they would of heard about this a lot.

i would think 3 clutches would kinda show this is not the issue causing this more the clutch lever start / stop switch or a wheel movement sensor

I am having similar problems to those mentioned in this thread, 150 Euro 6 manual.
I have altered my driving style to accommodate for this but separately i have the start/stop error mentioned in this thread "02252 - Battery Generator"
I am going to get this issue sorted with the error code 02252 but i can't help thinking there "might" be a link between the two issues.
My thought is it might be an early symptom of the wire breaking down as it is mentioned no codes are thrown, and then with the thread i mention the start/stop stops working and you end up with the code 02252.
I may be completely wrong but it seems like no one has got to the bottom of this problem in 16 pages and it might be worth others considering this other issue that is easily rectified with a simple piece of wire to bypass the breakage as highlighted by xop32.

Last edited:
hi folks, I have also had this problem with my new to me van, so is it a driver issue and I am just adjusting or its a fault with the van, what do you kind folks recommend I do with it next, It has happened quite often now and also in the middle of roundabout and while slowing down and approaching ramps

hi folks, I have also had this problem with my new to me van, so is it a driver issue and I am just adjusting or its a fault with the van, what do you kind folks recommend I do with it next, It has happened quite often now and also in the middle of roundabout and while slowing down and approaching ramps
I feel it must be a problem with the van as it would only happen to me in the situations you described. Did you buy your van recently and are you able to return it because it is a very dangerous problem. I was lucky enough to return mine.

Last edited:
I feel it must be a problem with the van as it would only happen to me in the situations you described. Did you buy your van recently and are you able to return it because it is a very dangerous problem. I was lucky enough to buy a return mine.
Hi I’ve got to the bottom of the issue I have a dsg Cali which has cut out on numerous occasions since I turned the stop start off it has not done it since ! So as it’s tried to kill me on numerous occasions has not done it since so yes there’s a fault ok stop start the culprit

Back