Engine shudder start up and difficult high speed gear changes

mrmortar

Hi all,

I posted on here some time ago to report success with getting my low mileage (and under warranty) T6.1 DMF and clutch changed following juddering issues in 1st/reverse gear. Although that issue appears to be fixed there is always a hint of it when the engine has been started from cold. VW have never been able to tell me why the DMF failed other than to state it had a defect (lateral runout).

Two issues I've never been able to resolve is with regards to a) how it shudders when i turn it on and b) how it behaves when i change gear, specifically at higher revs.
Firstly, when i start up my van its very animated, feels like it comes on with a bang and you can feel the shudders through the chassis. It idles completely fine.
Secondly, when driving it higher up the revs between changing gears I can feel a wobble through the chassis shortly after engaging the clutch which quickly dissipates. It's almost impossible to do a gear change without it. It reminds me how it feels on a motorbike when the chain is loose or if the cush drive bushes were knackered.
I've driven numerous T6.1's when I've had mine in for investigation, mostly tend to be the 100bhp versions and they are nice and tight, silky startup and pleasant to change gears on no matter what revs.

My van currently has 15,000 miles on it.

Recently I had my van back into the dealers to ask them to check all this out, I even got a technician out to speak to in person. The technician said the clutch is perfect and everything checks out fine adding my van is "one of the better ones he's driven"!

I'd tried to suggest maybe the engine / gearbox mounts may need checking but the technician wasn't having any of it saying these would have been all checked.
I end up leaving the dealers feeling mega frustrated as they rarely admit anything is at fault.

I'm convinced something isn't right and tempted to take it to an independent next as I'm prepared to pay out of my own pocket to get this sorted now.

If any of these issues sound familiar to anyone please comment.

Dealers aren’t necessarily clueless, they’re just careful what they acknowledge as a fault because once it’s recognised, they have to try and resolve it.

I will take it elsewhere for a second opinion regardless but not a VW dealer as the one I’ve used said they won’t look at anything for free now as they feel I’m using them to prove the other dealership wrong

Back