Rust under rear registration plate

Strettyp

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I bought some pressed metal licence plates to replace the ones that came with the van, purchased new from inchcape VW commercial in Manchester

When I took the rear plate off I found that there was a line of rust and a few other spots and bumps - the van is 4 years old and while the 3 year warranty has expired, the 12 year anti-corrosion warranty is still active

Got it booked in with them on Tuesday as despite being sent the pics, they want to "check some other things that might invalidate the bodywork warranty"

Seems like an open and shut case to me and I'm glad I took the plate off now as it would never have been spotted otherwise - Anyone know what they might be checking?

DSC_3758.JPG

Have you had a rear view camera fitted? as VW fitted one for me when I bought by van and as they had to drill a small hole under the tailgate lip above it dropped swarf behind the plate which caused some little specs of rust to form from the swarf?

I have got one fitted bit was ordered as an option when I ordered the van - the dealer fitted the plate

I mentioned this at work and someone said that there's a coating applied to the paintwork in the factory to protect it while in transit from the factory, and this has to be cleaned off before handing over to the customer

They thought that perhaps the plate was put on before this clean, and maybe that layer has retained water behind the plate

Noone else has corroborated this though

Update - took it down to VW Inchcape at Trafford park and they've inspected and recommended that the work is within the corrosion warranty

Taken photos and sent off to VW for approval - fingers crossed

Staff there were great to be fair - made me a coffee and let me use a spare office to work from quietly while I waited

Hey there,

I've been directed here from a thread I started on VWCC forum over rust spots on my OSR quarter panel at the wheel arch (2019 T6 Ocean). In my case I am sure it's zinc inclusion and looking at your damage I'd say its very likely the same thing. If you google it you'll see its an extremely common problem :(

Unfortunately the people held in the highest regard for diagnosing this (PVWI) are no longer on the scene after retiring in Mar 2023, awful timing for me but John was incredibly helpful and a lovely chap to speak to. They will certainly be a loss to the industry and I don't know how VW manage independent paintwork warranty assessments / reporting now. I was at one point referred to the Motor Ombudsman as my best option :(

I'm just about to post my update on my thread and whilst it is a good outcome for me it was a 6 month process, so I wish you all the very best with the issue and will watch with interest.

Cheers

Dave

Update - just at the airport and got a voicemail from Inchcape Manchester saying my 'claim' has been rejected by VW and I need to ring back to discuss it

Absolutely fuming

Back in blighty on Monday then I shall be discussing it - if I'd not removed the plate the rust would never have been found

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
So - three calls this week to Inchcape Manchester to find out why VW have rejected my warranty claim - cue many minutes waiting trying to track down Paul the warranty guy - the only people who seem to answer the phone are sales....

They've emailed the elusive Paul asking him to ring me - still waiting for that call

My next van will be a large van I can stand up in and I don't think I'll be going VW if this is how you're treated as a customer

So - three calls this week to Inchcape Manchester to find out why VW have rejected my warranty claim - cue many minutes waiting trying to track down Paul the warranty guy - the only people who seem to answer the phone are sales....

They've emailed the elusive Paul asking him to ring me - still waiting for that call

My next van will be a large van I can stand up in and I don't think I'll be going VW if this is how you're treated as a customer
@Tourershine had a similar battle and won - he had an independent assessment carried out.
See threads tagged with Paint Issue.

@Tourershine had a similar battle and won - he had an independent assessment carried out.
See threads tagged with Paint Issue.
Found it:

Brilliant thanks - I will ring them again tomorrow then follow up in writing

The thing that bugs me is that the dealership thought it was a sound case

Ok finally got to speak to Inchcape Manchester about why my warranty claim has been rejected

VW say that the rust is not a corrosion issue, but a paint issue....and the paint has only got a 3 year warranty

Obviously the fact that I would never have found the "paint issue" without removing the registration plate after 4 years didn't register with them

Next step is a telephone number for VW customer services and a reference number...

The story continues

Back