Door/arch Rubber Rubbed Paint Off. Best Fix?

simonnwt6

T6 Pro
So just checking over the van for odd jobs that need doing.

checking all the rubber seals I see the front door seals have rubbed off the paint on the wing where the door closes onto the bodywork at the front. Only a thin but long 7 inches/high

small amount of orange/brown rust already on rubber. Not much on paint. Must rub it off

suppose could treat the paint areas with something anti corrosion?? and stick something there to stop rubbing.

Any suggestions when this kind of thing happens to paintwork in the odd places?

products? Etc.. suggestion welcome :)

thanks

S

That dont look right,

The body is galvanized and shouldn't rust like that.

Are you sure that's not just rust transferred from the door rubber seal ( which has steel in it and is known to rust)?

Try cleaning off body rust spots and see if is actually rust from the body that has come through the paintwork.

Unless that is...... you have had body work done in that area that has not been done properly and the galvanized layer has been removed and rust has started.?

Only just go the van last week. Looks like some paint bubbles around there as well :/ joy! So body shop job?

11873DDA-BF6A-4FEC-A6DD-565B059FFBD1.jpeg

From the factory there is a protective tape strip on the arch - effectively between the seal and the arch. Perhaps that's missing :unsure:

Yes! it’s on drivers side and all fine

missing on passenger side.

given a wipe down and most brown gone. Just on edges of paint. The metal underneath looks dark though. Not sure if that’s good or bad.

Where it’s not rubbed higher up towards wing at top of arch the paint has small spikey bits in. not loads . About 15 spread about.

there does seem the odd small bubble in paint next to where it’s rubbed. :/ really can’t see any sign or damage or respray work though.

You lot shouting that the body is galvanised. It makes sod all difference about all these claims, if it was galvanised it was done badly.
My underside was rusty, I've had to underseal the whole thing!
The corner on the body where the sliding door drips has a nasty rust spot.
The T6 will be a pile of crappy rust in about 10 years. I am seriously regretting the move from my 2005 T5 which was absolutely spotless even underneath!
I think we should be starting a campaign, I remember when manufacturers had a 10 year warranty on their paintwork/body.

I done it. I had to drop the tank etc to get to the shuttle seat mounts that I took out. There was also a missing under cover so cleaned and undersealed while removing the seat brackets and made sure all under covers were fitted. It took me a good days work. I know the days of 4x4's people were charging around £250-£450 for underseal but they didnt drop anything. I guess with the spray cans now you can probably get some good coverage above everything without dropping it.
20191102_133418_resized.jpg 20191102_152711_resized.jpg

Back