Running Radio off Leisure Battery

If it is just the headunit sensing 14v then a simple buck might solve this - somehow though I doubt it.
Everything I've tried on my T6 ends in a dead end :)

If my understanding is right (probably isn't ha!) If it senses 14v it'll stay on, so a buck might do the job... I don't fancy frying the unit though ha.

Thanks Deaky! And is rewiring the head unit to a leisure battery straight forward enough? I'm a newbie on here and can't seem to find a post detailing this.
Not sure you can but I may be wrong. Media control is a paid for dealer option too

@Dell- What are you using for your van wifi?

@BoroBoy

for WIFI in the van i use a USB 4G WIFI Dongle . . . like this one.

(i did have it in the glovebox, but have now installed in in roof lining by roof lights - works fine with reception etc)

1613496596194.png

i had it plugged into 12v USB charger .at first . . like this Anker one i had.

1613496691784.png

but now I've hard wired it with a 12v / USB power converter.

1613496767112.png

at first i had it running from the IGN only . . . . so it was only on when driving etc . . .

but now I've moved it over to a Leisure battery feed . . . so its on 24/7

i can now hook up the RING camera and BlackVudash cam to the cloud . . . as well as conect the Victron kit to the cloud.

You need to get a SIM card to put in the dongle. . . .

either a PAYG sim with DATA . . . . or just call your existing Mobile phone provider and ask for a second SIM to share the data from your existing account.

here is an example of a PAYG data SIM . .

EE - 90days/3mnths - 6GB 4G data for the wifi - £16.25

1613497059611.png

plug it in, set a wifi password etc , get online - job done.

Then just connect the Media Headunit to the vans wifi, then connect your phone/tablet to the wifi as well . . .

down load the VW Media APP on your phone/tablet - control the HU.

not too hard to setup. =]

fwiw I've got one of these too . . .

similar thing, but has a built in battery and will last most of the day.

so if in the van, connect it to a USB feed thats on the IGN ,. . . . then when engine is off this unit will keep the wifi going on its own battery power . . . (for 1-2day depending on use and signal strength)

when the van is restarted the internal battery recharges . . via USB

we have it on holiday etc so the kids can share the wifi and internet . . . i just drop it into my ruck sack . .

keeps the Yoofs happy =]

1613497463056.png

Last edited:
@BoroBoy

for WIFI in the van i use a USB 4G WIFI Dongle . . . like this one.

(i did have it in the glovebox, but have now installed in in roof lining by roof lights - works fine with reception etc)

View attachment 103976

i had it plugged into 12v USB charger .at first . . like this Anker one i had.

View attachment 103977

but now I've hard wired it with a 12v / USB power converter.

View attachment 103978

at first i had it running from the IGN only . . . . so it was only on when driving etc . . .

but now I've moved it over to a Leisure battery feed . . . so its on 24/7

i can now hook up the RING camera and BlackVudash cam to the cloud . . . as well as conect the Victron kit to the cloud.

You need to get a SIM card to put in the dongle. . . .

either a PAYG sim with DATA . . . . or just call your existing Mobile phone provider and ask for a second SIM to share the data from your existing account.

here is an example of a PAYG data SIM . .

EE - 90days/3mnths - 6GB 4G data for the wifi - £16.25

View attachment 103979

plug it in, set a wifi password etc , get online - job done.

Then just connect the Media Headunit to the vans wifi, then connect your phone/tablet to the wifi as well . . .

down load the VW Media APP on your phone/tablet - control the HU.

not too hard to setup. =]

fwiw I've got one of these too . . .

similar thing, but has a built in battery and will last most of the day.

so if in the van, connect it to a USB feed thats on the IGN ,. . . . then when engine is off this unit will keep the wifi going on its own battery power . . . (for 1-2day depending on use and signal strength)

when the van is restarted the internal battery recharges . . via USB

we have it on holiday etc so the kids can share the wifi and internet . . . i just drop it into my ruck sack . .

keeps the Yoofs happy =]

View attachment 103980

Thanks Lee. I have looking at the TP link unit myself. Yet to decide which way to.

I’ve managed to change the timeout to 60mins using the engineer mode thing on the radio, but haven’t managed to turn it off entirely.
I'm going to try this as the 20 minute timer is a bit annoying. On a similar theme, do we know if Bluetooth can be activated with ignition off? I'd like to be able to stream Spotify from my phone but headunit Bluetooth is disabled unless ignition is on.....

I'm going to try this as the 20 minute timer is a bit annoying. On a similar theme, do we know if Bluetooth can be activated with ignition off? I'd like to be able to stream Spotify from my phone but headunit Bluetooth is disabled unless ignition is on.....
I've often wondered, is the timeout controlled by a canbus signal from an ecu, or is it controlled by the radio itself 20 minutes from ignition live going off? If so surely you could rig a false ignition live with a diode?

I've often wondered, is the timeout controlled by a canbus signal from an ecu, or is it controlled by the radio itself 20 minutes from ignition live going off? If so surely you could rig a false ignition live with a diode?

Definitely canbus sadly.

I bet the Autowatch Ghost people could come up with a little inline module, but would it sell? :thumbsup:

Back