Roof box placement Multivan T6

PerraS

VIP Member
Hi forum!
I just bought a roof box, Thule Motion XT XL, and as I was placing it on the roof of my Multivan T6 I was thinking where the best placement for it would be regarding to aerodynamics. Far back, further to the front or in the middle. I have the short wheel base T6 but its still possible to move the box around some in either direction on the roof.

Any suggestions or does it not matter you think?

/Per

I use a roof box alot. You should think what side it hinges and how you are going to reach into it and from what platform....

I use a roof box alot. You should think what side it hinges and how you are going to reach into it and from what platform....

Thanks for your reply. The box can be opened from both sides. I was more thinking about if it will make any differencs in the aerodynamics if I place the box far to the front of the vehicle or far to the back, not to the sides. I understand that aerodynamics might not be the first thing that comes to mind when talking about a Multivan, but maybe there´s a sweetspot for placing the box both from an aerodynamics and ergonomic standpoint.

Or do you mean, don´t worry about it, just make sure you can reach the opening?

Used the neighbour's for our last holiday, put it on the passenger side at the front to line up with the sliding door. I am 6'4" and needed the side door threshold step to reach in and get what I wanted, also solar panel stuck on rear roof so couldn't put this in shade. It's a big square van so not sure the aerodynamics are hugely affected by the roof box position

Hi forum!
I just bought a roof box, Thule Motion XT XL, and as I was placing it on the roof of my Multivan T6 I was thinking where the best placement for it would be regarding to aerodynamics. Far back, further to the front or in the middle. I have the short wheel base T6 but its still possible to move the box around some in either direction on the roof.

Any suggestions or does it not matter you think?

/Per
Do you have any images of the roof book on your multivan as I am looking to buy the same roof box

I don't think it will make too much difference regards the position on the roof. The main thing is not to leave it on the roof all year when not needed - I see this all the time.

I use 1 or 2 ski boxes depending on my mood, however I always mount them backwards as I am convinced this is more aerodynamic - but this is only for these boxes (Thule Polar 500), you wouldn't want to put other types on backwards..... !! My personal view is that the roofbox manufacturers shape the boxes to meet the public perception of a streamline shape - there are no Cd value or fuel consumption figures given , so they can get away with any shape they like.

It is odd that the shape of my ski-boxes (when fitted the "right" way round) are the exact opposite of the Thule Wingbars cross section ...

I did stumble across a web page featuring a Tesla owner who tried doing exactly what I have done with a similar roofbox to mine, and his vehicle diagnostics confirmed "backwards" was more aero-dynamic.

Anyway with my two boxes on the roof I still get about 35-38 mpg at motorway speeds.

John

IMG_6632[1].JPG

Back