Thule VeloSpace XT-3 Bike Carrier on T6 with barn doors … ?

MarcusJG

Ok, so there are lots of people comparing the Thule VeloSpace XT-3 to the Atera Strada DL 3, and I know the problem with the former is the lack of clearance on a T5/T6 meaning the barn doors barely open, but has anyone actually moved the tilt cable from the 50 degrees mounting point to alternative 70 degrees setting (as per the manual)? And if so, have you been able to open the doors? If not, does it really matter? I like the Atera but I like the Thule better and was just wondering what people’s experience is.

47EB5D1E-F345-4A6B-B35D-5469B20238FC.png

I’ve got a tailgate with a Thule XT3 and I had to move the cables to the 70 degree position. It just clears the lid. I’m not certain I’ve seen a barn door van with one, but I’m sure someone will let you know of their experience.

3C4CF3C6-CC02-4BE9-9CA8-73444F64733E.jpeg

This is something that is exercising me a lot at the moment. We’re keen bikers with a spoilered T6 with barn doors. I cannot find a video or review for the Atera rack with bikes fitted.

It looks like the only one that is at least trying to address this problem, but before spunking the money I really want to know how it’s going to work with bikes in place.

I may have to just call RoofBox and talk to them, I doubt they can give many assurances as the width of handlebars etc is a factor outside of their control

Several people on here have confirmed that the Atera DL3 works with barn doors - ours certainly does.
But it is fairly tight.

Pete

Thanks Pete, that’s with bikes on rack the doors can be opened when the rack is moved back? Caveats around handlebar width being a factor accepted!

I also have the Atera DL3 with barn doors. Having just loaded up for few days in the peaks, I can confirm there is sufficient clearance for access to open both rear doors when the fully loaded bike rack is slid out fully :thumbsup:

Yes. The handlebars are unlikely to be an issue with the rack tilted back. They may be an issue with the rack up, if the bike closest to the van has really wide handlebars.

I seem to recall that the barn doors get close to the bike tyres when the rack is tilted.

Pete

Yes. The handlebars are unlikely to be an issue with the rack tilted back. They may be an issue with the rack up, if the bike closest to the van has really wide handlebars.

I seem to recall that the barn doors get close to the bike tyres when the rack is tilted.

Pete
I have my bike closest to the van, and its a big mountain bike (I am 6ft 5). The handlebars sit 6 or 7 cm away from the rear window.....does make me a little nervous so I tend to loosen and twist the handlebars.

You are correct, no issue at all when the rack is tilted back.

awesome, thanks chaps. On a related thread, how have you found the rack? My 10year old Thule has been awesome but I've read some reviews on MTB forums that suggest the Atera isn't as good. Limited adjustability, things like that. It sounds like I've a choice of 1 though, so it won't sway, just interested in any feedback or add-ons you may have got.

awesome, thanks chaps. On a related thread, how have you found the rack? My 10year old Thule has been awesome but I've read some reviews on MTB forums that suggest the Atera isn't as good. Limited adjustability, things like that. It sounds like I've a choice of 1 though, so it won't sway, just interested in any feedback or add-ons you may have got.
I love mine, so easy to put on the towball and solid as a rock when fully loaded. I also had the extra adapter (allowing 4 bikes to be loaded).

Have a chat with Stef at Browns (stef@brownsoutdoors.co.uk) - He fitted my towbar, and offered some excellent advice and videos when i was looking at bike rack options for my camper

Back