Roof Bars prep - load-rated?

Looks like yours are T Profile - I know Thule do roof bar feet for them as I've struggled to find adaptors for roof rails from them.

@Leonardo Di VANci can i ask what rails these are ? really like the idea of having the roof racks but not really wanting visable roof rails and was looking at making something like these

Right, sorry that this may be going over already covered ground (I have indeed checked all the previous posts and remain totally confused!) I've even resorted, horror of horrors, to the vehicle user manual and am still at a loss! In a word- help!!!

I want to carry lots of super awesome stuff on top of my super awesome van, which has the factory-fit roof bar preparations. It looks like this:

View attachment 74626

Problem is I haven't seen anything (bars OR rails) that confirms it'll be compatible with these preparations- even the VW website shows roof bars that mount to rails rather than this fitting. Am I missing something!? Do I need rails to fit generic bars to!? (If so, recommendations warmly accepted!) and equally if I don't need rails, what fitting am I looking for that goes directly to the preparations!? (Ideally something that slides up and down!)

Your wisdom and suggestions would be muchos appreciato!! Ta!!
I have the same roof bar prep and use a Thule set up.

FEEEF358-84C9-432F-90ED-E55307144085.jpeg

Oh Oh OH , break through, although not for the Thule roof bars, still need what to look for for those but the parts on the VW Guttering rails are as folows

Left and right Channels 7H1860181AQZU AND 7H1860182AQZU , THESE ARE IN BLACK, Sorry I dont have codes for silver

you will need as standard
8 x Speed Nuts 7h0817940A
8 x Screws 7L0860137D
2 x Screws N90897401
2 x nuts N10516801
8 x Bolts N 90993801;
remember you have 4 bolts each side anyway so you likely dont need all of the above... sorry if this is posted somewhere else. I didnt find it,

Looks like yours are T Profile - I know Thule do roof bar feet for them as I've struggled to find adaptors for roof rails from them.
For future reference, it's the Thule foot set 3057 apparently, but not tried it myself

Oh Oh OH , break through, although not for the Thule roof bars, still need what to look for for those but the parts on the VW Guttering rails are as folows

Left and right Channels 7H1860181AQZU AND 7H1860182AQZU , THESE ARE IN BLACK, Sorry I dont have codes for silver

8 x Screws 7L0860137D
2 x Screws N90897401
2 x nuts N10516801
8 x Bolts N 90993801;
remember you have 4 bolts each side anyway so you likely dont need all of the above... sorry if this is posted somewhere else. I didnt find it,
Hello,

Does this part numbers also fit t6.1?
I already have 4 bolts on each side… are this enough to fix rails or I have to drill additional holes?

Thank you.

I can only speak for what I did but I never drilled additional holes and had a roof tent on the van without issue. I did have all the fixings to do the job but decided not to use them. I'm not recommending this and would suggest anyone to do the full fix. Make sure and seal those screws too..

Thanks for that. I am planing to put roof tent on it but don’t want to be stuck at fix points and two cross bars.
What did yo use for the seal?

Does those part numbers fit T6.1?

THX again.

Sorry should have answered those at the time. My parts list was for a t6. To the best of my knowledge they didn't change the shape of the roof on the 6.1 so they should fit. But you are best to check. And I used tiger seal body adhesive. But sika flex do various coach building adhesives. So any would do.

Thanks for that. I am planing to put roof tent on it but don’t want to be stuck at fix points and two cross bars.
What did yo use for the seal?

Does those part numbers fit T6.1?

THX again.
I have recently done this on my T6.1 and it seems fine. These were the part numbers (Left and Right) and prices:
The rails, 7H1860181AQZU and 7H1860182AQZH are £145.80 each inc vat, there are 14 screws at £1.40 each, 2 screws at £0.70 each, 14 speed nuts at £4.62 each and 2 more speed nuts at £1.44 each. If, like me, you only use the existing screw holes then you will only need the 14 screws and nothing else.

I used Sikaflex 522 and their 205 aktivator after speaking to Sika's tech department and bonded the sections between the 4 screws (and the rear plastic end piece), instead of drilling. The rails also have rubber washers on the back so this should prevent any water ingress.

I am pretty sure this is adequate to hold everything in place. If you look at the front to back side rails alternative, they are only secured using 3 of the 4 screws so, unless I'm missing something, then using 4 and adhesive between, should be fine - I hope : )

@ZimaSpartan I used the holes from factory and no sika flex glue with a roof tent and there was never any worry it was comming off. What I would say though is when I did remove mine there was rub in the channels. So would recomend a bit of paint protection film on each side before gluing the base down to the paint....

Hey guys,

Hope yas can help me with this one.

Im just after buying the two roof rails from my local VW dealer 7H1860181AQZU AND 7H1860182AQZU. Im planning on building a frame to hold 3 x ecoflow 100w flexible solar panels, and they will be mounted using these rails.

I've just gone to instal them, i was planning on using the existing 4 bolts that are already screwed into the roof, but they dont actually fit inside the rail to screw in and there was no screws provided with rails when i got them.

Is it the 8 x Speed screws 7L0860137D that you mention above that will fit into these 4 holes on each side?

Cheers!!

Last edited:
Hi, just caught this thread.

I have been making the equivalent to the roof prep rail as a means to mount my side loading roofrack to.

The rails are slightly deeper than the VW rails but bolt directly into the 4 roof tappings (5 for LWB). I can supply with seals and fixing screws.

Also there is an awning groove which will fit a 4mm or 5mm kador strip. I sold then on ebay for a while, but their fees plus postage was a problem.

Message me if you want more details

John
IMG_8827[1].JPG

IMG_8846[1].JPG

Hey guys,

Hope yas can help me with this one.

Im just after buying the two roof rails from my local VW dealer 7H1860181AQZU AND 7H1860182AQZU. Im planning on building a frame to hold 3 x ecoflow 100w flexible solar panels, and they will be mounted using these rails.

I've just gone to instal them, i was planning on using the existing 4 bolts that are already screwed into the roof, but they dont actually fit inside the rail to screw in and there was no screws provided with rails when i got them.

Is it the 8 x Speed screws 7L0860137D that you mention above that will fit into these 4 holes on each side?

Cheers!!

Hi, just caught this thread.

I have been making the equivalent to the roof prep rail as a means to mount my side loading roofrack to.

The rails are slightly deeper than the VW rails but bolt directly into the 4 roof tappings (5 for LWB). I can supply with seals and fixing screws.

Also there is an awning groove which will fit a 4mm or 5mm kador strip. I sold then on ebay for a while, but their fees plus postage was a problem.

Message me if you want more details

John
View attachment 209178

View attachment 209179
Hi John,

Just found these on eBay and saw you’re down the road in Swansea. Do you have them in black?

G

8 x Screws 7L0860137D
2 x Screws N90897401
2 x nuts N10516801
8 x Bolts N 90993801;
Happy to find this post. I have just ordered the same "guide channels" for my 2023 VW Transporter 6.1
I ordered from DOGUS in Istanbul. All parts to be imported from Germany. Let's see how it will fit on my van.
It all started when I bought a Fiamma F45S awning with wrong brackets which is suitable for VW Transporter Multivan. :)
Instead of changing the awning I decided to get these parts that seems more useful than my existing roof tent setup. at VW Service, when they query the parts on database, it seems suitable for my Transporter, but when they query with chassis number it doesn't show these parts as suitable, so VW officially doesn't install these guide channels. I will install myself. Will share pictures and results as soon as I have it.

Back