Ride Height Survey

Ok - so I have to admit that I seem to have now developed OCTSSD (Obsessive Compulsive T-Six Suspension Disorder) it keeps me awake a night trying to figure out how to improve my ride comfort, is it my springs? Is it my dampers? Is it my wheel size? Or should I just admit I own a van :eek:

I'm looking for your help, I want to collect as much ride height info as I can, and the suspension (spring and dampers) you have plus wheel size that you are using, plus your view of the ride.

It's not exactly scientific as every van is different, but I will put all the collected data on one sheet and share it. Hopefully will be helpful to the group as a whole, and especially those looking to mod suspension.

It would be good to get some 'stock' information as well, so even if you haven't modified your van please add to the thread.

I'm measuring ride height from
wheel centre to wheel arch (as near perpendicular as possible).

So please add the following to the thread:

Vehicle Type:
Original Load Rating:
Ride Height Front
:
Ride Height Rear:
Rake:
Springs:
Dampeners:
ARB
:
Wheel size
:
Tyre model
:
Normal load
:
Ride Comfort
:

I'll start with mine below.
Hi @Montecha great work here. Where can we access the table please ?

Thank you. I would have added mine but I do not know the make of the suspension it was already done when I bought it so I am trying to work out how much it has been lowered thanks again.
Take a picture of the rear spring and damper from underneath from the back of the van, or of the front strut and spring when you have the wheel on full lock.

I am sure there's enough knowledge on here that will identify what you have :thumbsup:

While taking the photos I noticed a black label and when zoomed all was revealed. "Van Slam" I will supply the relevant information over the wknd.
Thanks again.

Here we go :
T6 Kombi Edition DSG converted to camper
T30
Front 385mm
Rear 385mm
Springs and Dampers Van Slam 5Forty
Wheels 20,s
Tyres Front 255/40/20
Tyres rear 275/40/20
Pirelli
Firm but comfortable avoiding potholes recommended

I know I am a bit late to the party but it is good info for comparisons

Here we go :
T6 Kombi Edition DSG converted to camper
T30
Front 385mm
Rear 385mm
Springs and Dampers Van Slam 5Forty
Wheels 20,s
Tyres Front 255/40/20
Tyres rear 275/40/20
Pirelli
Firm but comfortable avoiding potholes recommended

I know I am a bit late to the party but it is good info for comparisons
At the dimensions you recorded the van is 75 mm lower , The problem you have is that the Van slam is a direct copy of the B14 and the shafts are too long on both these kits ( they are designed 40 to 70mm of course ) , What is happening on the pot holes is simply the suspension is bottoming out , There is no remedy for sorting this out , but doing a hub mod on the front suspension upright and sliding the shock through the hub a little more will increase the travel. You will need to lift the front spring seat the equivalent amount of course . Hope that makes sense . Shortening the Bump stops to the Caravelle ( SWB ) size will also help but be cautious if you run big tyres as they will be more likely to touch , This gets another 20 mm of travel in the suspension . If you can get 30 mm out of these changes the comfort will be massively improved on bumpy surfaces .

Ride Height from wheel centre to wheel arch -

Vehicle Type: Panel-van Conversion with Cali 2-seater bed, offside kitchenette and HiLo.
Original Load Rating: T28.
Ride Height Front: 460mm.
Ride Height Rear: 425mm.
Springs: standard PV (AFAIK).
Dampers: standard PV (AFAIK).
ARB: standard PV (AFAIK).
Wheel Size: 16” Clayton 215/65/16.
Tyre model: Goodyear Cargo Marathon
Normal Load: 2 adults + camping supplies.
Ride Comfort: wallowy, crashy..

I’ve not updated this since going to CRS and changing out the SoLow suspension for KW. With the SoLow I was only marginally lower (370mm all round) but the ride was firm, the rear springs having bottomed out due to the weight.
Mich happier with the ride now - I wish I’d
forgone the SoLow and gone straight to KW.

758F170E-0E85-4FAB-BA43-1FDE51C42015.jpeg

Vehicle Type: Panel-van Conversion with Cali 2-seater bed, offside kitchenette and HiLo.
Original Load Rating: T28.
Ride Height Front: 390mm
Ride Height Rear: 380mm
Rake: 10mm - slight nose-down
Springs: KW.
Dampeners: KW.
ARB: H&R
Wheel size: 18” (245/45/18).
Tyre model: Pirelli P-Zero.
Normal load: 2 persons plus camper conversion.
Ride comfort: good - firm but forgiving. Comfortable; You don’t have to avoid potholes.

The extreme drop kits should always be considered with caution any kit that can do 130 mm is going to make a van extremely unpractical and cause excessive tyre wear and stress on drive trains , Glamourous to some , Night mare to most .
They are not available any where other than UK because they simply wont get Safety Certification anywhere else in Europe , They should only be considered by customers who understand what it is they are getting in to and typically for show vans only , not daily used vans .

Vehicle Type: Panel van 150 manual LWB converted to camper
Original Load Rating: T30
Ride Height Front: 395
Ride Height Rear: 395
Rake: 0
Springs: Stance+ SPC094
Dampeners: Stance+ SPC094
ARB: VW original
Wheel size: 20"
Tyre model: Falken Azenis fk510 suv, front 255/45, rear 275/40
Normal load: full camper conversion plus sailing/camping gear and boat trailer
Ride Comfort: Comfortable, feels a bit soft/rolly, pot holes will crash, rear bump stops have seen action, sags when loaded

van rear spring new set up.jpg

new rear set up van.jpg

Last edited:
That spring doesn't look too happy and the top hat adjuster looks to be fully wound out?
Thicker ARBs will remove some of the Roly poly tendency. I've got the H&R ones on my T28 camper and they firmed up the ride after initially just fitting B14s to the point that they took out the plushness of the B14s on the mid height setting I run them at.

That spring doesn't look too happy and the top hat adjuster looks to be fully wound out?
Thicker ARBs will remove some of the Roly poly tendency. I've got the H&R ones on my T28 camper and they firmed up the ride after initially just fitting B14s to the point that they took out the plushness of the B14s on the mid height setting I run them at.
The picture is with the body jacked up, I'll put up a "on the floor" photo tomorrow, I am wondering about having Stance adjusters fully wound out. Needs it to get the van level though. Looking to go to upgrade asap, KW or H&R I think. Good tip on the ARBs thanks

Weigh up all the competition when it comes to replacing the existing suspension then as you can end up spending a fortune trying to get what another T6 owner considers to be the "perfect" set up.
I'm still happy with my B14s despite them being the "only sleeved not real coilovers mono tube big springed spawn of satan"... who'd have thought?

B14 coilovers seem to be ok for people that don't have full camper conversions - IE vans that aren't too heavy.
If you're happy, then that's the main thing :)

B14 coilovers seem to be ok for people that don't have full camper conversions - IE vans that aren't too heavy.
If you're happy, then that's the main thing :)
IMG20210924110621_BURST000_COVER.jpg
Here's my reasonably full camper including hob/sink, leisure battery, Rib bed, bath tub pop top and 65 litre underslung water tank.
It's a T28 with 102hp so basically shouldn't exist according to the laws of nature and camper van hierarchy but if you can get it up to speed then the Billy's and the bigger ARBs mean much of that speed can be carried through bends rather than hedges.
I'm not saying B14s are the best suspension out there but then I don't have a vested interest in knocking them... they are considerably better than the rubbish VW fit at the factory though.

View attachment 132418
Here's my reasonably full camper including hob/sink, leisure battery, Rib bed, bath tub pop top and 65 litre underslung water tank.
It's a T28 with 102hp so basically shouldn't exist according to the laws of nature and camper van hierarchy but if you can get it up to speed then the Billy's and the bigger ARBs mean much of that speed can be carried through bends rather than hedges.
I'm not saying B14s are the best suspension out there but then I don't have a vested interest in knocking them... they are considerably better than the rubbish VW fit at the factory though.
Looks goods good, what happens when you load up with all the camping stuff... does the rear sag much ? I think you're right on ARBs just came back form wales along B roads and the laws of physics weren't good on standard vw ABRs

Anyone considered removing the 30 odd kg of weight of spare wheel in the wrong place right at the back and just using a road side tyre repair kit ? No idea how I could safely change a wheel on the roadside anyway

Anyone considered removing the 30 odd kg of weight of spare wheel in the wrong place right at the back and just using a road side tyre repair kit ? No idea how I could safely change a wheel on the roadside anyway
I do.

Back