T30
Front height = 360mm
Rear height = 370mm
Springs & Dampers = Bilstein B14
Wheel size = 18" Edition
Tyre size = 255/45/R18 Y 103
Tyre Manufacturer = Continental sport contact 5
Normal load = Tools and kit
Comfort = Nice, firm without being harsh.
ARB's = standard VW.

feels perfect,only problem with b14’s is they compress with too much weight, managed to snap rear spring, so replaced and raised 5mm

must say better than Vw lowered springs had on previous van
The B14 kit is designed to go 40 to 70 mm your van is 100 mm at the front and 90 mm at the rear , this is why you are breaking springs ?? .

Ok - so I have to admit that I seem to have now developed OCTSSD (Obsessive Compulsive T-Six Suspension Disorder) it keeps me awake a night trying to figure out how to improve my ride comfort, is it my springs? Is it my dampers? Is it my wheel size? Or should I just admit I own a van :eek:

I'm looking for your help, I want to collect as much ride height info as I can, and the suspension (spring and dampers) you have plus wheel size that you are using, plus your view of the ride.

It's not exactly scientific as every van is different, but I will put all the collected data on one sheet and share it. Hopefully will be helpful to the group as a whole, and especially those looking to mod suspension.

It would be good to get some 'stock' information as well, so even if you haven't modified your van please add to the thread.

I'm measuring ride height from
wheel centre to wheel arch (as near perpendicular as possible).

So please add the following to the thread:

Vehicle Type:
Original Load Rating:
Ride Height Front
:
Ride Height Rear:
Rake:
Springs:
Dampeners:
ARB
:
Wheel size
:
Tyre model
:
Normal load
:
Ride Comfort
:

I'll start with mine below.

D9E768F0-1F5B-4C39-9C6F-83D42D7BE3B6.png

T30 rear bilsteins 14 20 inch wheels. This doesn’t look right to me . Should I have a smaller spring on . Or is this acceptable?

Hi Paul

that doesn't look right to me either. There should be a gap between the coils of the spring, as the spring compresses the gap closes, that gives you the wheel travel and your suspension, letting the spring and shock absorb bumps. That spring is almost coil bound so you have very little suspension travel before it all goes solid and will just bang and bounce around.

It’s a generic B14 issue unfortunately, here’s my rear spring and just the same - 50% of the spring is already coilbound, so all the future compression will need to be in the remaining free spring.

It’s why the ride can’t cope with small bumps, what should have been the ‘soft’ coils are already fully compressed so the remaining coils are stiff and very little movement.

2B06E0C4-F11B-4B8D-B5B8-11696295A233.jpeg

There are some proper cowboy installers out there, who lets a van out of their workshop with a spring looking like that?

Snapped rear rhs mainly because I drive like a t**t and love going around roundabouts at stupid speeds with a ton of gear in the back! New van ordered with the ebrau or whatever there called suspension supported by Volkswagen anyone know if they are comparable to me much loved b14’s?

6077C71A-4F3D-45E4-AFA1-351ABF3F7C14.png

There are some proper cowboy installers out there, who lets a van out of their workshop with a spring looking like that?
Some one who doesn't know how, and why its done that , there are plenty of them , Simply that spring is not fit for purpose and should have never left the workshop ??

Snapped rear rhs mainly because I drive like a t*** and love going around roundabouts at stupid speeds with a ton of gear in the back! New van ordered with the ebrau or whatever there called suspension supported by Volkswagen anyone know if they are comparable to me much loved b14’s?

View attachment 113126
The VW kit is a KW kit , the only difference is the springs and colours , The KW kit performs better because it has proper spec d springs that don't go coil bound . The KW kit ( and VW ) is a 35 to 65 mm drop ( VW 1700 pounds The KW kit £950.00 ) we all know why !
The B14 is 40 to 70 but many vans are lower due to the spring not holding the weight properly as per the pictures supplied in this thread . this is what is causing the spring s to break .

Lots of other technical reasons , so don't worry buy the VW kit it will be fine albeit too expensive ?

So if someone wanted to get rid of the coilbound spring on a B14, is there a replacement option?

So if someone wanted to get rid of the coilbound spring on a B14, is there a replacement option?

We have a much better spring but i dont think it fits the B14 threaded perch on the rear . To change the spring and perch is £400.00 for the set .
A cheaper option might be to see if anyone can sell the B 14 Comfort spring if it fits , it seems a little stronger although looks similar

The VW kit is a KW kit , the only difference is the springs and colours , The KW kit performs better because it has proper spec d springs that don't go coil bound . The KW kit ( and VW ) is a 35 to 65 mm drop ( VW 1700 pounds The KW kit £950.00 ) we all know why !
The B14 is 40 to 70 but many vans are lower due to the spring not holding the weight properly as per the pictures supplied in this thread . this is what is causing the spring s to break .

Lots of other technical reasons , so don't worry buy the VW kit it will be fine albeit too expensive ?

was told it was an Ebrauch adjustable coil over kit being put on and supported by Vw not heard of kw until just now

We have a much better spring but i dont think it fits the B14 threaded perch on the rear . To change the spring and perch is £400.00 for the set .
A cheaper option might be to see if anyone can sell the B 14 Comfort spring if it fits , it seems a little stronger although looks similar

Is it possible that you could check please?

Back