Rib bed on rails retrofit

two options, both costly.
1. Swap your RIB for a slider model, which allows 200mm of fore/aft movement. There's a 'Wanted' ad for a 120cm RIB on the forum just now. Clearcut conversions is possibly the cheapest source for a new seat.
2. Take it out and look to have it fitted on sliding rails - thread here

Last edited:
I just used to stick the bike in between the RIB and the front seats, when I had that set up. Or, wit a 120cm RIB, the bike will go in alongside the bed. Sheets/bike bag probably required.

Last edited:
Even some of the sliding bed systems only 'lock' in a certain position safe for travelling... so not all would allow you to slide your son nearer the front seats on long journeys...

If you go this route just be careful and do your homework... :thumbsup:

I assume the floor would have to be lifted including the ply to fit the rails.
Would the California seat and rails allow it to be set at almost any point?.
I have been pondering selling the van as we don’t really use the furniture any more or gas and water any more and getting a beach or to kombo and putting sliding seat and a roof Pop top on it.

If I do it that’s probably the best option I will have to cost it all up and make a decision.
Would I have to take the ply up or could I cut the strips out of it and then recover with new covering.
Cheers

If I do it that’s probably the best option I will have to cost it all up and make a decision.
Would I have to take the ply up or could I cut the strips out of it and then recover with new covering.
Cheers
Cut the two strips out for the rails, possibly. But the floor height is different to other vans - IIRC it’s 32mm in height, so I placed a sheet of 12mm ply over a Kombi rubber floor (followed by a LVT) and that fitted perfectly.

Cut the two strips out for the rails, possibly. But the floor height is different to other vans - IIRC it’s 32mm in height, so I placed a sheet of 12mm ply over a Kombi rubber floor (followed by a LVT) and that fitted perfectly.
Ok thanks for all the info I will price it up and find out if it is worth doing cheers david

I assume the floor would have to be lifted including the ply to fit the rails.
Would the California seat and rails allow it to be set at almost any point?.
I have been pondering selling the van as we don’t really use the furniture any more or gas and water any more and getting a beach or to kombo and putting sliding seat and a roof Pop top on it.
Dave any luck finding a Cali bed? I am looking for one but they seem almost impossible to find

TBH I didn’t look that hard because when I looked at the rails they are thicker than my floor as Ads Essex pointed out.
I can’t lift it without lifting the fridge which would then mean altering furniture.
So because of all that I decided to bin the idea due to cost.
I will keep my eyes open and if I see one I will drop you a message.

Can any body help me I would like to fit a 112cm rock and roll bed in the back of my van on rails but don’t know which one to go for can anyone advise me on which one I was thinking of a Smart bed evolution r
/ Titan vari-mount. /rib uberflux
But don’t know which is the better quality of finish
And price of rails and parts needed for the job
Thanks rob

I'm in the same position mate but some of the quotes to supply the bed on rails have been (£5k +).
Interested to know what you end up going for..

Yes it is really practical and we use the feature all the time. Like you we were initially talked out of it and the cost was a bit eye watering but we came back to it and stood firm, it was well worth it for the flexibility. Hope you find a solution.

With your sliding RIB bed, do you have any storage space underneath? If so, do you know what size plastic boxes would slide under for storage? Thanks,

With your sliding RIB bed, do you have any storage space underneath? If so, do you know what size plastic boxes would slide under for storage? Thanks,
Sorry for the delay replying. We have 2 compartments underneath the seat enclosed at the edges and floor so no issues when sliding it. We use one side for shoes etc and the other side we use 2 plastic boxes one behind the other. The boxes are 40x26cm each. Hopefully the pictures below help.
0BB0235D-02FE-45AF-BC98-1F068F1C43DF.jpeg1AE0077C-324B-41DC-88BC-C555729F2F0D.jpeg64039765-49D5-4D89-A307-63130BD7CE95.jpeg

Back