Rib bed on rails retrofit

Dave F

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have a rib seat/bed in a fixed position. Would it be big job/possible at all to put it onto rails system so I can move it forward to load up for holidays and any idea of a cost to do this?. Thanks

We have a sliding RIB which uses two caravelle rails. I think you would need a new thicker floor to accommodate rails which may impact on your other units so not a small job. There are a few converters who offer them so may be worth a phonecall.

We have a sliding RIB which uses two caravelle rails. I think you would need a new thicker floor to accommodate rails which may impact on your other units so not a small job. There are a few converters who offer them so may be worth a phonecall.
It something I wanted to do from day one but got talked out if it at the time.
We hen we go away on long trips the van full between us and the little fellow in the back. So pulling the seat forward and loading like a estate car is the most obvious solution. Thanks

Yes it is really practical and we use the feature all the time. Like you we were initially talked out of it and the cost was a bit eye watering but we came back to it and stood firm, it was well worth it for the flexibility. Hope you find a solution.

Yes it is really practical and we use the feature all the time. Like you we were initially talked out of it and the cost was a bit eye watering but we came back to it and stood firm, it was well worth it for the flexibility. Hope you find a solution.
I wish I had done the same as like everything to do it afterwards will cost more. Thanks

I’m getting this done to mine via the uberbus flux system... few things to note, the rib frame is slightly shorter when ordering with a rail system as it does increase the floor height as said above.
As the rib is a high seat anyway you might want to take that into consideration or sell it and buy new again... maybe you can just buy a new frame?

Other option could be some sort adapted unwin system but wouldn’t be crash tested so probably not worth looking into.

I will have s good look into it and cost it up. Thanks for the advice it’s really helpful.

It something I wanted to do from day one but got talked out if it at the time.

I wanted to do this as part of my conversion too but was also talked out of it. Can't be that simple if several converters are trying not to do it. Was a pricy option on the ones that would so I'm ok with it as is, for now...

Does only two rails mean it’s unsafe in a crash scenario? I bet VW use four for a reason.

Nah. I'd guess it's easier to move with 4 rails as it would be less likely to twist which could jam it up. Smoother slide.
I wish I'd pushed harder for this as it is a great 'nice to have' but to be honest it's a minor miss. :cautious:

Nah. I'd guess it's easier to move with 4 rails as it would be less likely to twist which could jam it up. Smoother slide.
I wish I'd pushed harder for this as it is a great 'nice to have' but to be honest it's a minor miss. :cautious:
I sometimes wish I could go back to the beginning and start again but I guess I would still miss a lot of thing and still left wondering.
I suppose that is where the satisfaction and pleasure is .
Wanting ,finding thrn fitting =HAPPY CAMPER

i would suggest either.... taking less stuff or going and buying a nice brenderup camping trailer ang having a removable towbar fitted.
ghe rib flux is a good system but you are looking at a rail install, new floor and new rib (flux) bed, possibly upholsty, caravelle step plus threshold..... Im guessing there will be little change from 7k. remember this is to solve a problem when you are on your way camping. How many hours a year does this problem occur? is the solution worth the spend or is there a cheaper way of solving the issue?

i would suggest either.... taking less stuff or going and buying a nice brenderup camping trailer ang having a removable towbar fitted.
ghe rib flux is a good system but you are looking at a rail install, new floor and new rib (flux) bed, possibly upholsty, caravelle step plus threshold..... Im guessing there will be little change from 7k. remember this is to solve a problem when you are on your way camping. How many hours a year does this problem occur? is the solution worth the spend or is there a cheaper way of solving the issue?
The more I’m looking into it the cost it just to high. It’s a job that has to be done at the point of conversation really.
I have a detachable tow bar fitted already and the bikes go on the T6 bike rack. It’s the awning and inflatable kayak if I can get a sort of flat surface to attach to the tow bare I could put them on there below the bike rack and that would make a lot more room.

The more I’m looking into it the cost it just to high. It’s a job that has to be done at the point of conversation really.
I have a detachable tow bar fitted already and the bikes go on the T6 bike rack. It’s the awning and inflatable kayak if I can get a sort of flat surface to attach to the tow bare I could put them on there below the bike rack and that would make a lot more room.
Towbar mounted bike rack with a box/platform maybe? Would need to check the available height below your existing bike rack.

Towbar mounted bike rack with a box/platform maybe? Would need to check the available height below your existing bike rack.
I have the genuine T6 one on the tailgate plenty of room. Just had a ideal I have this in my garage from my old camper. I could make a shelf/box and bolt it onto the this bike rack that is a tow bar mounted one.
Problem solved

Hi there, I'm just playing around with ways in which I can get my bike in my van for day trips... I have a tow bar for holidays away, but for a quick raz in the woods, then it's easier just to be able to put the bike in the van.

In the absence of owning a Kombi (though I am also considering swapping my current camper for one!), I wondered whether it would be possible to retro fit rails to slide the rib bed backwards into the boot space, giving a bigger floor area to (hopefully!) get my bike in. Does anyone know if this would be possible? Would it mean taking the whole floor up to expose the metal?

Or should I just get a Kombi? :D

There are sliding bed systems such as the flux sliding system... Especially designed for your requirements

Anything done DIY style to an existing fixed rib to make it slide is likely to be unsafe and won't be crash test certified.

I have a rib seat fitted in my van and am looking to see if I can get a kit retrofitted so that I can move it back and forward to allow more room in the back when required also to get my son closer to us on long journeys.
Cheers

Back